1 Kings 5:4-7

1 Kings 5:4-6 King James Version (KJV)

4 But now the Lord my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.

5 And, behold, I purpose to build an house unto the name of the Lord my God, as the Lord spake unto David my father, saying, Thy son, whom I will set upon thy throne in thy room, he shall build an house unto my name.

6 Now therefore command thou that they hew me cedar trees out of Lebanon; and my servants shall be with thy servants: and unto thee will I give hire for thy servants according to all that thou shalt appoint: for thou knowest that there is not among us any that can skill to hew timber like unto the Sidonians.

Easy English Bible
4 But now the LORD my God has made it quiet all round (me). There are no enemies and nothing to destroy anything. 5 So, I have decided to build a temple for the Name of the LORD my God. This is what the LORD said to my father David. (The LORD) said, “I will put your son on your throne after you. He will build the temple for my Name.” 6 And you know that none of us can make wood from trees like the men from Sidon. So now, tell (your men) that they should cut down cedar trees in Lebanon for me. And my men will (work) with your men. And I will pay you whatever you ask for your men.’

© Wycliffe Associates (UK), 1997-2008

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

4 Solomon was given peace in the kingdom because of the Lord, this peace allow him the chance to build the temple which is what the Lord wanted of him.

5 Solomon was chosen by God to do this, he was made king so he could build the temple, it became known as Solomon's temple but it was always the temple of the Lord just built by Solomon.

6 In Israel building were often made of a stone and not wood so building from trees would not be known by them so Solomon asks for help. Sometimes even thought the Lord wants us to do something it does not mean we do not need help.

'But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side,
so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.
And, behold, I purpose to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God,
as the LORD spake unto David my father, saying,

"Thy son, whom I will set upon thy throne in thy room,
he shall build an house unto my name."

Now therefore command thou that they hew me cedar trees out of Lebanon;
and my servants shall be with thy servants:
and unto thee will I give hire for thy servants according to all that thou shalt appoint:
for thou knowest that there is not among us any that can skill to hew timber like unto the Sidonians.'

(1 Kings 5:4-7)

Hello @Clark Thompson,

How wonderful that God created the ideal conditions for the building of the house upon which His Name would rest. This would be a building of God's designing, and for His purpose. He gave Solomon 'rest' (on every side), and there were no adversaries to hinder it's progress. The word 'adversary' here is (Heb. 'Satan'), which gives food for thought, doesn't it, Clark? It brings to my mind thoughts concerning the millennial reign, during which Satan will be bound (Revelation.20:2), so that in that day too, there will be no hindrance to the work and will of God in that day.

These words were spoken in response to the King of Tyre, from whom Solomon would receive cedar trees for use in the building of God's house. The words, 'Thou knowest' in (1 Kings 5:3) show that Hiram, was aware that David could not build God's house himself, 2 Samuel 5:10-12, informs us that Hiram had built a house for David to live in, sending trees, and carpenters, and masons for the purpose. Here, in relation to the house of God, Hiram supplies the wood only and the servants he appoints, Solomon himself offers to hire, for the purpose of hewing the timber, because of the skill they obviously had (which I find significant).

God had spoken to David, telling Him 'Thy son, whom I will set upon thy throne in thy room, he shall build an house unto My name.' (2 Sam. 7:12,13; 1 Chron. 17:11,12).

Praise God! That what He purposes will be brought to fruition, He is Faithful that promised!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Back