1 Kings 5:7-9

1 Kings 5:7-9 King James Version (KJV)

7 And it came to pass, when Hiram heard the words of Solomon, that he rejoiced greatly, and said, Blessed be the Lord this day, which hath given unto David a wise son over this great people.

8 And Hiram sent to Solomon, saying, I have considered the things which thou sentest to me for: and I will do all thy desire concerning timber of cedar, and concerning timber of fir.

9 My servants shall bring them down from Lebanon unto the sea: and I will convey them by sea in floats unto the place that thou shalt appoint me, and will cause them to be discharged there, and thou shalt receive them: and thou shalt accomplish my desire, in giving food for my household.

Easy English Bible

7 Hiram was very happy when he heard Solomon’s message. And he said, ‘Praise the LORD today, because he gave David a wise son to rule over this great country.’ 8 So Hiram sent this message to Solomon. ‘I have received (the message) that you sent to me. I will do all that you ask. (I will send you) cedar wood and pine wood. 9 My men will pull them from Lebanon to the sea. And I will tie several trees together. And then I will pull them along the top of the sea to where you want them. There I will make them into separate trees again, and you will take them away. And you will supply food for my palace, as I want.’

© Wycliffe Associates (UK), 1997-2008

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

7-9 A good word or report from someone else should bring us joy. This truly shows the type of person he is that this made him happy because he was not Jewish so the temple would be somewhere he could not go but even with that he was willing to help.

He was happy that a wise king was the one that replaced David because out of the sons of David there could have been an evil king if the Lord’s hand was not in it.

'And it came to pass,
when Hiram heard the words of Solomon,
that he rejoiced greatly, and said,

"Blessed be the LORD this day,
which hath given unto David a wise son
over this great people."

And Hiram sent to Solomon, saying,
"I have considered the things which thou sentest to me for:
and I will do all thy desire
concerning timber of cedar, and concerning timber of fir.
My servants shall bring them down from Lebanon unto the sea:
and I will convey them by sea in floats
unto the place that thou shalt appoint me,
and will cause them to be discharged there,
and thou shalt receive them:
and thou shalt accomplish my desire,
in giving food for my household."'

(1 Kings 5:7-9)

Hello Clark,

This is a little insight into the contract Solomon made with Hiram: and the communication that passed between them. It is good to see that Hiram begins with praise to God. It is given in more detail in 2 Chronicles 2:11-16:-

'Then Huram the king of Tyre answered in writing,
which he sent to Solomon,

"Because the LORD hath loved His people,
He hath made thee king over them."

Huram said moreover,
"Blessed be the LORD God of Israel,
That made heaven and earth
Who hath given to David the king a wise son,
endued with prudence and understanding,
that might build an house for the LORD,
and an house for His kingdom
And now I have sent a cunning man,
endued with understanding, of Huram my father's,
The son of a woman of the daughters of Dan,
and his father was a man of Tyre,
skilful to work in gold, and in silver, in brass, in iron, in stone,
and in timber, in purple, in blue, and in fine linen, and in crimson;
also to grave any manner of graving,
and to find out every device which shall be put to him,
with thy cunning men, and with the cunning men of my lord David thy father.
Now therefore the wheat, and the barley, the oil, and the wine,
which my lord hath spoken of, let him send unto his servants:
And we will cut wood out of Lebanon, as much as thou shalt need:
and we will bring it to thee in floats by sea to Joppa;
and thou shalt carry it up to Jerusalem. '

In the margin of my Bible, against verse nine, concerning the description of the journey of the timber from living tree in Lebanon to a place in the temple of God in Jerusalem. It says:-

'bring them down'
: Note the illustration in the conversion of sinners. Cut down from nature's standing; down through the waters of death (Rom. 6:11) before finding their place in the temple of God (Eph. 2:20-22). Same with the stones in verse 17. (Isa. 51:1,2)

Thank you, Clark,

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Back