1 Kings 6:37-38

1 Kings 6:37-38 King James Version (KJV)
37 In the fourth year was the foundation of the house of theLord laid, in the month Zif:

38 And in the eleventh year, in the month Bul, which is the eighth month, was the house finished throughout all the parts thereof, and according to all the fashion of it. So was he seven years in building it.

1 Kings 6:37-38

BBE37 In the fourth year the base of the house was put in its place, in the month Ziv.38And in the eleventh year, in the month Bul, which is the eighth month, the building of the house was complete in every detail, as it had been designed. So he was seven years building it.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

37-38 It took 11 years to build this temple due to how much time it typically took to build a building this large Solomon put much more focus on the temple the others rulers did the own tombs, he also had the work fast and hard to get this done sooner. Some ruler would have people be building the tomb for their entire reign but Solomon wanted the temple to be done soon as possible.

Well I guess a temple to 'house' the presence of the Lord is not easily compared to a tomb to house the earthly remains of dead men.
The 7 1/2 years taken to complete the building of the temple compared to the time taken to build a pyramid speaks of the difference between a labour of love and a chore.
It is interesting that the text is specific about the month of the year when the construction started and finished, giving us actually 7 1/2 years, whereas the text just states 7 years.
If we were talking about days and hours, the part day would count as a whole day, giving us 8 days. In other words, the days and part days are rounded up. But it seems the years and part years are rounded down. I wonder if this is a general Jewish custom or just a one off instance?

Hello Clark,

It is the fact that it took seven years which catches my attention. Seven being the number of spiritual perfection.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Back