1 Peter 1:13-16

1 Peter 1:13-16

KJV 13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

WEB 13 Therefore prepare your minds for action. Be sober, and set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ— 14 as children of obedience, not conforming yourselves according to your former lusts as in your ignorance, 15 but just as he who called you is holy, you yourselves also be holy in all of your behavior; 16 because it is written, “You shall be holy; for I am holy.”

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

13 Our minds need to be focused on the Lord and living for Him in His loving grace and not in the ways of this corrupted world. Grace only comes by Christ no where else can grace from God b found even though the world wants to think otherwise it is Christ alone.

14 We are now by Christ empowered to obey and be His servants. We once lived in ignorance being in sin and apart from Christ, we should have had a change and should be changing now that we are in Him.

15 Just as when we were not in Jesus that we drove to sin we now as Christians should drive to Him and His holiness.

16 He alone is Holy but we need to be so close to Him that it shows thru our life. We are to be like Him in the best way we can by living right although we cant be perfect and that is where grace place its part but we should strive for so much closeness with God that living right is simply what we do.

Greetings in Christ, Clark Thompson!

For me:

13 Gird up the loins of your mind means prepare for opposition mentally, knowing that the return of the Lord is coming soon, when we will be delivered from the sufferings the enemy is putting us through (v.6-12).

14 In order to be counted as His sons at His return will require obedience, hence the term "obedient sons."

15-16 This especially brings to mind the analogy Paul always used with Gentile believers of being "adopted sons." Responding properly to the grace of being adopted into the family of God involves conforming ourselves to the character of our Father. Hence His command, "You shall be holy, for I am Holy."

Back