12 Tough Questions about Christianity [Q&A]

How can you take the Bible literally?

How are Christians called to love LGBTQ+ people?

How should the Church respond to racism and injustice?

What does the Bible say about divorce & remarriage?

How and why should Christians engage with politics?

What do Christians believe about death and dying?

How could a loving God allow so much suffering?

Are science and faith incompatible?

What do Christians believe about sex and human sexuality?

Is Christianity misogynistic?

How are Christians called to engage culture?

What does the Bible say about money?

Thought this would be a great opportunity to discuss together.

Attachments

• 134940971.jpg
    134940971.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 2
I really had to home in on this one below:

this above question is a good one because I recognise now how I was drawn to the bible God after much suffering in my relationships and without the sufferings I recieved I would not have been drawn to God. So there’s that for a start. There is a reason for the confusing circumstances but they are not always revealed at first.

It's the only way I would take it, otherwise any statement can be twisted to mean anything.
God loved us in our sin.
In a fallen world people's judgments are imperfect.
Look before you leap.
Very lightly, because His Kingdom is not of this world.
It's our passage into eternity
Look to Calvary for that answer.
No, true science will eventually catch up with Scripture.
Good in the context of marriage.
No. Try any of the other religions for comparison.
Pray, and spread the Gospel. Be a light.
"The love of money is the root of much evil. It's a tool to help, not acorns to horde.
Very good questions which don't deserve my 'bumper sticker' responses. :)

Very good questions which don't deserve my 'bumper sticker' responses. :)
Crossnote has crashed the thread😝

I actually think we can still elaborate, for our more long winded viewers/posters. cant wait to see what everyone else has to say...MM and major, bob, will have some good juicy responses if we ask nicely

please🙏🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️😇

1. Absolutely! Without a standerd of truth we are left to our own imaginations.

2. As Christians, we are called to love and serve all people, regardless of their beliefs or actions. Remember, homosexuality is a choice not an illness. Every sinle person can change what they are doing with the power of the Holy Spirit in them.

3. Walk humbly: Do justice: Love mercy.

4. 1 Corinthians 7:10–11: “To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.”
So, the biblical rule is that there should be no divorce and, if a divorce does occur, no remarriage.
Two exceptions are.... a believer abandoned by an unbelieving spouse “is not bound” (1 Corinthians 7:15).
And Jesus says, “Except for sexual immorality

5. "Go ye into the world and spread the gospel". If Christians do not change the word FOR God, who will?
Should Christians just sit and pray and hope that atheists will make Godly decisions?

6. A very complex question. Suffering draws us closer to God.
Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake… We were made not primarily that we may love God (though we were made for that too) but that God may love us, that we may become objects in which the divine love may rest well pleased. Source............C.S. Lewis in A Mind Awake

There is not a person alive who in pain and suffering does not call out......."O GOD, HELP ME". That is exactly what God wants us to do. Because we refuse to do so, sometimes He has to put us on our backs so the we will look up to heaven.

7. "Are science and faith incompatible?"..........Yes.

8. "What do Christians believe about sex and human sexuality"?. Personally, I like it! .........All is acceptable with in the bonds of marriage.

9. NO, Christianity is not misogynistic. Misogyny is a hatred of and distrust of women. That uselly comes from one who is a skeptic of the Bible. and use as a tool to turn people away from God. The 2nd person that God created was a WOMAN and she began the line of humanity we now live in.

10. "What does the bible say about money?" Money is not bad. I have some. It is what we do with it or how we place it above God that is the issue.

Last edited:
Ok I’m working on number 1 question.

And I have questions inside this question.
It seems most of the bible I’ve read is practical. It’s meant to be literal. I can easily understand them. And practice them. But some parts of the bible are quite extraordinary. Talking snakes and donkeys!! Angels that look like flying saucers and raising people from the dead. It’s not that I don’t believe it, but there are parts I find incredible and wonder if they are meant to just be symbolic.

Now im not saying snakes don’t communicate. They do. Maybe since belly time they have lost that ability. But I do think what happened in the GOE was temptation was talking in the form of a serpent. Why a serpent? I don’t know. Maybe in the Olden days they had them as a representation for evil and I can see why. I don’t like them either. Temptation to sin agains God was in the garden and they were given that task of representing temptation back then as a possible parallel because we feared them.

So. I I can’t take a talking snake as literal.

HUH? :eek:

You REALLY know how to open multiple cans of worms simultaneously...

Sister, you're the best.

Ok, so, I like the rule of thumb Dr. John Barnett came up with. His method has been to try and see the text through the lens of the literal, and if that doesn't work, then look at it through the lenses of a blend of literal mixed with allegorical/spiritual, and if that doesn't work then look at it allegorically as pointing to things temporal if not constrained to Heaven alone in the language.

Personally, I do that by nature...by way of having been born again. You see, not all who have perverse attractions are practicing the sin behind those attractions. Those are who I stand by and fight for in prayer and against the "Christian" hecklers. If they are practitioners of the perverse things, and they will not hear the admonition of the word of God, then I turn them over into His hands.

We are not called to be reactionaries, but rather pro-active toward all, being gracious and merciful toward all.

Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but [rather] give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance [is] Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

Again, we leave the perpetrators in the Hands of the Almighty, even though the flesh wants to do some repaying here and now...:cautious:

Don't do it...apart from the few allowances. There are those who would say that what Jesus said is the ONLY allowance, and yet they say such on the basis of ignoring the OTHER things Jesus said on this same topic that any systematic study would reveal to anyone who would make the effort to seek it out.

We are free to engage in politics any time we so desire...so long as we uphold godly principles, morals, love, mercy and justice. This false idea that there's some sort of dividing line between the secular and the sacred, that's a concoction of secularists who don't want absolute morality brought into politics, upon which this country was grounded.

Some are afraid, others are not. We have an absolute promise from the Lord over creation:

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to [His] purpose.

Notice the ALL THINGS...not some, and not most, but ALL in relation to those who love God, and who are called according to His purpose.

Suffering does one of two things...it either strengthens the one who is seeking godliness in their lives, or it shatters them because of their lack of faith.

Matthew 21:44 "And whoever falls on this stone (Christ) will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder."

Now, granted, the context is about nations, but there are in most contexts truths that stand alone, and are therefore universal.

Not at all. What's sad is that so many who are called "scientists" have chosen to say things that are no better than mere pseudo science. You see, science doesn't say anything. It's scientists who say things... Some people put their faith into their pre-conceived notions that they have forced into the science they promote. Others allow science to lead them to the only conclusion possible, and that truth will always validate and verify God.

That depends on how you define "Christians." That noun has gotten to where it means almost nothing with there being so many who believe in a Christ of their own, or someone else, making.

Sex is good. Sex is wonderful...so long as it remains ONLY within the confines of marriage as the Lord defined for ALL of humanity in Genesis 2.

Not at all. People the world over have totally misrepresented what scripture says on this topic...even though that word is not in the Bible.

Salt and light.

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Although it speaks much about money, it never says that money in and of itself is bad or evil. The LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil, just as it is written.

MM

HUH? :eek:

You REALLY know how to open multiple cans of worms simultaneously...

Sister, you're the best.

Ok, so, I like the rule of thumb Dr. John Barnett came up with. His method has been to try and see the text through the lens of the literal, and if that doesn't work, then look at it through the lenses of a blend of literal mixed with allegorical/spiritual, and if that doesn't work then look at it allegorically as pointing to things temporal if not constrained to Heaven alone in the language.

Personally, I do that by nature...by way of having been born again. You see, not all who have perverse attractions are practicing the sin behind those attractions. Those are who I stand by and fight for in prayer and against the "Christian" hecklers. If they are practitioners of the perverse things, and they will not hear the admonition of the word of God, then I turn them over into His hands.

We are not called to be reactionaries, but rather pro-active toward all, being gracious and merciful toward all.

Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but [rather] give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance [is] Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

Again, we leave the perpetrators in the Hands of the Almighty, even though the flesh wants to do some repaying here and now...:cautious:

Don't do it...apart from the few allowances. There are those who would say that what Jesus said is the ONLY allowance, and yet they say such on the basis of ignoring the OTHER things Jesus said on this same topic that any systematic study would reveal to anyone who would make the effort to seek it out.

We are free to engage in politics any time we so desire...so long as we uphold godly principles, morals, love, mercy and justice. This false idea that there's some sort of dividing line between the secular and the sacred, that's a concoction of secularists who don't want absolute morality brought into politics, upon which this country was grounded.

Some are afraid, others are not. We have an absolute promise from the Lord over creation:

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to [His] purpose.

Notice the ALL THINGS...not some, and not most, but ALL in relation to those who love God, and who are called according to His purpose.

Suffering does one of two things...it either strengthens the one who is seeking godliness in their lives, or it shatters them because of their lack of faith.

Matthew 21:44 "And whoever falls on this stone (Christ) will be broken; but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder."

Now, granted, the context is about nations, but there are in most contexts truths that stand alone, and are therefore universal.

Not at all. What's sad is that so many who are called "scientists" have chosen to say things that are no better than mere pseudo science. You see, science doesn't say anything. It's scientists who say things... Some people put their faith into their pre-conceived notions that they have forced into the science they promote. Others allow science to lead them to the only conclusion possible, and that truth will always validate and verify God.

That depends on how you define "Christians." That noun has gotten to where it means almost nothing with there being so many who believe in a Christ of their own, or someone else, making.

Sex is good. Sex is wonderful...so long as it remains ONLY within the confines of marriage as the Lord defined for ALL of humanity in Genesis 2.

Not at all. People the world over have totally misrepresented what scripture says on this topic...even though that word is not in the Bible.

Salt and light.

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Although it speaks much about money, it never says that money in and of itself is bad or evil. The LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil, just as it is written.

MM
Lol Musicmaster - opening up multiple cans of worms 🪱 🪱 🪱 🪱 🪱 I am learning from my godly bros 🤣 here at CFS.

The Bible is part history, law, allegory, poetry and doctrine. It can be difficult to determine which is which, since the ancient writers were not bound by the modern conventions we use. For example: take the Book of Job. Is that history or allegory? Or perhaps it's doctrine veiled as poetry? Maybe it's all of the above. Perhaps it's something else entirely.

Personally, I feel the most important question to ask is, "Does it bring you closer to God?" If you can answer in the affirmative then what matters how the book is classified?

As is often said, "love the sinner, hate the sin."

Treat all people as individuals, including yourself. Let no one label another nor themselves hide behind a label.

It is allowed as last recourse.

Politics are part of life. To deny that is to be willfully ignorant. Politics are also volatile and corruptible. Winning public office is like wearing the One Ring from Tolkien's work. It will give temporary power at the risk of your soul.

I will refrain from answering this question since ironically it's one thing no one can agree upon.

Suffering is necessary.

No. If they are then at least one of them is wrong.

It's necessary, and within the bonds of marriage, a blessing.

Depends who you ask.

The Bible makes it quite clear that wives are to obey their husbands, but it also makes it quite clear that husbands are to love and protect their wives.

Humans are fallible and mess things up. Is that the fault of the ideal or the fault of the individual?

Culture is of the world. Don't be of the world.

"Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

(Matthew 6:31-34 ESV)

The Bible is part history, law, allegory, poetry and doctrine. It can be difficult to determine which is which, since the ancient writers were not bound by the modern conventions we use. For example: take the Book of Job. Is that history or allegory? Or perhaps it's doctrine veiled as poetry? Maybe it's all of the above. Perhaps it's something else entirely.

Personally, I feel the most important question to ask is, "Does it bring you closer to God?" If you can answer in the affirmative then what matters how the book is classified?

With it being a blend of literary styles, most people will resort to personal interpretation.

As is often said, "love the sinner, hate the sin."

Scripture has more than that to say about how we deal with sinners, as you likely know.

Treat all people as individuals, including yourself. Let no one label another nor themselves hide behind a label.

In a culture fixated on slapping labels on others on the basis of instant analysis, it saves time in actually getting to know the other. Quite tragic, really.

MM

Ok I’m working on number 1 question.

And I have questions inside this question.
It seems most of the bible I’ve read is practical. It’s meant to be literal. I can easily understand them. And practice them. But some parts of the bible are quite extraordinary. Talking snakes and donkeys!! Angels that look like flying saucers and raising people from the dead. It’s not that I don’t believe it, but there are parts I find incredible and wonder if they are meant to just be symbolic.

Now im not saying snakes don’t communicate. They do. Maybe since belly time they have lost that ability. But I do think what happened in the GOE was temptation was talking in the form of a serpent. Why a serpent? I don’t know. Maybe in the Olden days they had them as a representation for evil and I can see why. I don’t like them either. Temptation to sin agains God was in the garden and they were given that task of representing temptation back then as a possible parallel because we feared them.

So. I I can’t take a talking snake as literal.
Via......it would help your understanding to realize that demonic spirits can and have used animals and people to speak for them. Most scholars hold that it was Satan in the Garden of Eden who was speaking through the snake, not the snake itself speaking on its own. Thus, the Genesis 3 account it is not suggesting that snakes were of an intellect that would have enabled them to speak coherently.

That does not take away from the Literal understanding of the Bible. All through the Bible, the writers used "Symbolisms" to make there words and thoughts easier to understand.

Example......The HAND of God. God is a spirit but to make is more accepable, the writers used the word HAND.

Back