14 year old needs help

Hi Scott,

Welcome to CFS.

I'm glad you are making an effort to read and understand the Bible. Sometimes it takes a lifetime for some people to just start reading it. You are definitely a lucky one to realise this at this age.

Beginner?
You can start of from the New Testament where the story of Jesus Christ actually begins. Mathew is the first chapter.

Whenever you start reading the Bible, start off with a simple prayer to God, asking Him to help you understand each and every verse. Believe me, this has worked for a lot of people I know. The Bible will change your life, if you make sure you read and follow it everyday.

Is there some part for which you need explanation? Post it here. I'll be glad to help you :) .

BlueLetterBible is an online Bible with commentaries - http://www.blueletterbible.org/
Bible Gateway is also an online Bible with many useful resources - http://www.biblegateway.com/

Bible study

Hi Scott,

I agree with our moderator,,always pray for understanding before reading. A suggestion I always make,if you can afford it, either get a New King James translation or American Standard translation. The New King James changed some of the archaic words used in the old since they have either been dropped from use or their definition has changed several times. The American Standard is a direct translation from the original writings and languages into English. Both are much easier to read and understand. Both Thompson and Scofield come in those translations. Enjoy the treasures you are about to find.

Mike

and if you want deep understanding of some conflicting issues with bible i can help you there. i can help you see them not see the correct answer.

the Bible is a good read.

Welcome aboard Scott,
I'm a 68 year old Bible Teacher/Sunday School Teacher and I'll be glad to give you any direction I can render to you. As has been suggested, already, you are walking into a Snake Pit, filled with Rattle Snakes. My position on the scriptures is that God dictated the words recorded by, more or less, 40 recorders. These men are often called the authors of these 66 books of the Bible but that is not the truth, at all.

There is one author and the Author is God. He dictated to or as some prefer, inspired, about 40 men to record what He has to say to us. You have already noted that there is one person, not even brave enough to let you know if they are male or female and they have not posted a pic of themselves as an avatar. As you began this post you were looking as a recent photo of me and as you grow in years you will learn, over and over, not to trust people in the shadows.

If you care to engage me in this endeavor, it can be done here in this forum, through PM on this board, through IM or through email. If you choose to engage me in this pursuit but not on the public side, send me a PM and I'll get the info you'll need to use one of the other services.

God bless, my man.

I would start with one of my favorite books of the Bible: the Gospel of John. And then I would perhaps have you tackle the Gospel of Mark as well. Read Luke then Acts afterwards.

Once you have a grasp on the Gospel; Romans is a good place to start with New Testament 'law' as a Christian. Followed by Paul's Epistles and the other Epistles in the New Testament.

I would advise staying away from the prophetic books like Revelation, Daniel and Isaiah as a beginner. After you have an understanding of what it means to be a Christian following Jesus by Faith through His Grace; then I would hope you have an interest in the History of God's People starting in Genesis and work your way through the Old Testament.

The Bible is revealed to you as you need it; but it all starts with 'Salvation' (being saved) by accepting Christ as your personal savior: The Living Son of the Living God risen from the dead currently at the right hand of God in heaven pending His return to Earth. Jesus Christ died to pay your sin debt on the cross so that you may live eternally in heaven. He chose to do this-He did not have too.

Going to Church, memorizing the Bible, praying, confessing, tithes & offerings, good works and charitable deeds will not get you into heaven. The ONLY way to heaven is belief (faith) in Jesus Christ through His Grace (His mercy and love given to us although we do not deserve it); for what He did at Calvary-paying your sin debt to God with His blood.

...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I am the way, the truth and the life.

Love
Jesus the Christ-Son of the Living God

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
But God commandeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

With Love,
Paul-Apostle to the Gentiles

So what is the forfiet Th1Bill has to do as punishment for resurrecting a 7 year old thread :D

I would like to know how this even saw the light of day again.

I'm surprised the thread survived all the updates and the complete software change that have taken place since then, but sometimes people find really old, long forgotten threads when they do a search of the forums for a particular topic. This one was from before my time. I always check on names I don't recognize and since the OP was the only time Scotty504 ever showed up here, his name was unfamiliar to me. I often wonder about people who show up only once or a few times and then seem to disappear forever. I wonder how they're doing these days, whether they got the answers some of them were looking for, etc. Somewhere out there, barring some unfortunate event, the real person who was Scotty504 is going on about his life, hopefully one in which he has continued strong in attending to and living out the Word.

Back