2 Sam 1:14-16

2 Samuel 1:14-16 King James Version (KJV)
14 And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy theLord's anointed?

15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died.

16 And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain theLord's anointed.

2 Samuel 1:14-16

BBE14And David said to him, Had you no fear of stretching out your hand to put to death the one marked with the holy oil?15And David sent for one of his young men and said, Go near and put an end to him. And he put him to death.16And David said to him, May your blood be on your head; for your mouth has given witness against you, saying, I have put to death the man marked with the holy oil.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

14 David saw this man as showing disrespect not only to Saul and the kingdom of Israel but to the Lord who chose Saul as king. David that this man had no respect for what the Lord wanted, this man was trying to win favor with David but we should never attempt to win favor by losing favor of the Lord.

15 David ordered for his death because of him killing the king, David was just in having him killed because he killed the king, for David to let this man go would be him disrespecting God’s authority. David would not become king by undermining Saul’s reign.

16 David tells him why he was put to death; it is not a murder but David giving him the death penalty, a life for a life. David does not cause his death too brutally and slow as many in those days would.

'And David said unto him,
"How wast thou not afraid
to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD'S anointed?"
And David called one of the young men, and said,
"Go near, and fall upon him."
And he smote him that he died.
And David said unto him,
"Thy blood be upon thy head;
for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying,
I have slain the LORD'S anointed."...'

(2 Sam. 1:14-16)

Hi @clark thompson,

The Amalekite's story was a falsehood, for he did not kill Saul (1 Samuel 31/1 Chronicles 10). Yet his execution was just, for his own words showed the deception and evil intent within his heart. He sought to gain by bringing this story to David, probably thinking that David would have applauded such an action that he claimed to have done, in killing Saul. Thinking he was a man like unto himself. Yet we know by David's words and actions, in relation to Saul, that his heart was very different. This makes me think of Mat 12:35-37:-

'A good man out of the good treasure of the heart
bringeth forth good things:
and an evil man out of the evil treasure
bringeth forth evil things.
But I say unto you,
That every idle word that men shall speak,
they shall give account thereof
in the day of judgment. For
by thy words thou shalt be justified, and
by thy words thou shalt be condemned.'

In Christ Jesus
Chris