2 Sam 1:24-27

2 Samuel 1:24-27 King James Version (KJV)
24 Ye daughters of Israel, weep over Saul, who clothed you in scarlet, with other delights, who put on ornaments of gold upon your apparel.

25 How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle! O Jonathan, thou wast slain in thine high places.

26 I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

27 How are the mighty fallen, and the weapons of war perished!

2 Samuel 1:24-27

BBE 24 O daughters of Israel, have sorrow for Saul, by whom you were delicately clothed in robes of red, with ornaments of gold on your dresses. 25 How have the great ones been made low in the fight! Jonathan is dead on your high places. 26 I am full of grief for you, my brother Jonathan: very dear have you been to me: your love for me was a wonder, greater than the love of women. 27 How have the great ones been made low, and the arms of war broken!

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

24 The daughters refer to the women of Israel. Red dresses was a special most clothes were plain and did not have much color because dying clothes took much time and money. Gold is as special then as it is today and woman liked having gold on as they do today.

25-26 Jonathan was a great solider. Jonathan was close to David and he was also close to his father Saul. Now Jonathan had died this would hurt David. It is likely that David was closer to Jonathan then his own brothers David and him made a covenant together even after Samuel anointed David as the next king we don’t see his brothers doing this or even treating him any different than they had before. To have a close friend is something we all need. Jonathan was someone David could trust, but David’s most trusted was the Lord.

27 Their weapons were taken away and they had died, death will come to us but not all fall in tragedy in war, we should appreciate those that do.

Back