2 Sam 1:6-10

2 Samuel 1:6-10 King James Version (KJV)
6 And the young man that told him said, As I happened by chance upon mount Gilboa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear; and, lo, the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him.

7 And when he looked behind him, he saw me, and called unto me. And I answered, Here am I.

8 And he said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him, I am an Amalekite.

9 He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me: for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me.

10 So I stood upon him, and slew him, because I was sure that he could not live after that he was fallen: and I took the crown that was upon his head, and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them hither unto my lord.

Easy English Bible
6The young man said, ‘I was on the mountain called Gilboa. And I saw Saul. He was only standing up with the help of hisspear. The enemy army with its horses and chariots were getting very near him. 7He turned round and he saw me. He shouted to me. I said “What can I do for you?”

8“Who are you?” he asked me.

“I am an Amalekite”, I replied.

9“Stand over me and kill me”, he said. “I am nearly dead but I am still alive.”

10He would die if he fell down. I knew that. So I stood over him and I killed him. And I took the crown from his head and the ring from his arm. And I have brought them here to you, mylord.’

© Wycliffe Associates (UK), 1997-2014

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

6 This would have been by any solider who was wounded, he was not dead yet but most likely could not defend himself. The enemy coming was a treat because they would make a mockery of the king but Saul did not want to die at the hands of those that did not follow the Lord but Saul’s walk was not good at that point either.

7 That fact that he came to Saul by Saul calling showed that he was apart of his kingdom and respected his authority as king. We need to hear our King when He calls.

8 Amalekites were descendents of Esau so that this man was not Jewish.

9 Saul was going to die eventually because of his wound but it was going to be a slow death and Saul is asking for him to make it quicker, truth is this that the story this man is telling a lie so he can win favor with David who would be the new king.

10 Truth is this most likely robbed Saul’s dead body and came up with the story to tell David as he found him. We always have favor because of the truth and never lie to gain it.

Back