40 Days Praying and Fasting

Hi Group,
I wanted to openly share with you that I have started 40 days of praying and fasting. I started this on Sept 1 so today is "Day 5".

My pastor is leading our church in this right now. I took this to my christian book club and let them know that I joined this with my pastor.
My book club decided they wanted to join as well. I am starting a journal so I can log how each day goes.

Day 1
So encouraged and very calm. Then I was distracted with getting mad at someone. Then the calm came back over me.

Day 2
Very calm throughout the day, which is weird for me. I tend to lean towards being a high strung person even when all is well. I live on the edge of always being more tense / high strung.

Day 3
Now it begins. I literally start to hear these little whispers in my ear of distractions. You are stupid. Your family is a mess. Won't help. Stay mad at that person because that person is stupid and a mess and you should just cut them out of your life.... etc. I began to push through in prayer and it slowly went away.

Day 4 (My Wed night church prayer service)
I went to church for our regular Wed prayer service, but was distracted. Could not seem to relax. I pushed through anyway and did what I know to do, I just kept praying anyway. I held hands with a lady I have never met before and we prayed over each other... It started to happen. I kept hearing Let this woman be the light in the darkness for those around her. Let her take the light where ever she goes. Let her shine bright. It was amazing. I have no idea who she is or what she is going through. All I know is that God had me pray for her to a beacon in the dark, for her to be the light and to take that light where ever she goes. It was amazing. Then I felt relaxed and free. Went home and read a bit, and then got on my knees and prayed more. Then went to sleep.

Day 5 (today)
Prayed on my 1 hour drive into the office. HS was with me and I felt that closeness with Christ and the comfort he brings with him. I believe he told me to do something and I am praying about it. I want to be sure it was from him and I was not just thinking this. I am back to being calm again.

My book club has created a list called Broken Hearts Prayer List. We each put names on this list that our hearts are breaking for. We are going to pray over each of these people for the 40 days and we are going to expect miracles to happen in their lives.

I believe with all my heart God is going to move in a mighty way. Tonight I am starting my prayer walking on my street and praying for my neighbors. My book club is in my office and we meet on lunch hours. We are all going to take floors and we are going to start prayer walking our company floor by floor praying for all our coworkers.

I feel like an onion that is being peeled back slowly. God has been showing me myself little by little. More importantly He is showing me who he is. All we do is for his glory, not ours. All the miracles we will see will be for his glory and his kingdom, not for us. I am very excited and I wanted to share this with each of you as this forum has been with me and has been praying for me for some time now. I was such a broken mess when I stumbled upon this site. Fresh out of a dysfunctional abusive divorce. I was so broken. There are days where I still feel very broken, but I am choosing to not give into that brokenness. God has more for me and I thank you for the prayers and support and I think you for journeying with me. Now I would like for you to journey with me during these 40 days. I will try to get on daily and let you know how each day is going whether boring or great. I want you to journey with me.

Thank you.......

Hi Group,
I wanted to openly share with you that I have started 40 days of praying and fasting. I started this on Sept 1 so today is "Day 5".

My pastor is leading our church in this right now. I took this to my christian book club and let them know that I joined this with my pastor.
My book club decided they wanted to join as well. I am starting a journal so I can log how each day goes.

Day 1
So encouraged and very calm. Then I was distracted with getting mad at someone. Then the calm came back over me.

Day 2
Very calm throughout the day, which is weird for me. I tend to lean towards being a high strung person even when all is well. I live on the edge of always being more tense / high strung.

Day 3
Now it begins. I literally start to hear these little whispers in my ear of distractions. You are stupid. Your family is a mess. Won't help. Stay mad at that person because that person is stupid and a mess and you should just cut them out of your life.... etc. I began to push through in prayer and it slowly went away.

I went to church for our regular Wed prayer service, but was distracted. Could not seem to relax. I pushed through anyway and did what I know to do, I just kept praying anyway. I held hands with a lady I have never met before and we prayed over each other... It started to happen. I kept hearing Let this woman be the light in the darkness for those around her. Let her take the light where ever she goes. Let her shine bright. It was amazing. I have no idea who she is or what she is going through. All I know is that God had me pray for her to a beacon in the dark, for her to be the light and to take that light where ever she goes. It was amazing. Then I felt relaxed and free. Went home and read a bit, and then got on my knees and prayed more. Then went to sleep.

Day 5 (today)
Prayed on my 1 hour drive into the office. HS was with me and I felt that closeness with Christ and the comfort he brings with him. I believe he told me to do something and I am praying about it. I want to be sure it was from him and I was not just thinking this. I am back to being calm again.

My book club has created a list called Broken Hearts Prayer List. We each put names on this list that our hearts are breaking for. We are going to pray over each of these people for the 40 days and we are going to expect miracles to happen in their lives.

I believe with all my heart God is going to move in a mighty way. Tonight I am starting my prayer walking on my street and praying for my neighbors. My book club is in my office and we meet on lunch hours. We are all going to take floors and we are going to start prayer walking our company floor by floor praying for all our coworkers.

I feel like an onion that is being peeled back slowly. God has been showing me myself little by little. More importantly He is showing me who he is. All we do is for his glory, not ours. All the miracles we will see will be for his glory and his kingdom, not for us. I am very excited and I wanted to share this with each of you as this forum has been with me and has been praying for me for some time now. I was such a broken mess when I stumbled upon this site. Fresh out of a dysfunctional abusive divorce. I was so broken. There are days where I still feel very broken, but I am choosing to not give into that brokenness. God has more for me and I thank you for the prayers and support and I think you for journeying with me. Now I would like for you to journey with me during these 40 days. I will try to get on daily and let you know how each day is going whether boring or great. I want you to journey with me.

Thank you.......

My Day 5 ended with such wonderful revelations of the Holy Trinity of God and I saw myself truly. It's very humbling when you see yourself for what you really are. I am a Christian, but I have been holding onto one thing in my life that I have not fully wanted to surrender to God. I held onto this out of fear, I believe. I realized last night that the only way the Holy Spirit can truly move in my life is if my will has been fully surrendered to the will of the Father for the Glory of the Father. I had to let go of this one thing. I did finally. That in itself is a miracle. I know we are created for the glory of God and for fellowship with our Father, but some how my life has been all about me and not the glory of God. So for the first time I truly surrendered all that is within me for the full glory of God. I want my life to fully glorify God in all that I do. I felt such a shift in my spirit once I did this. It was incredible. I felt so new and clean and refreshed. I woke up this morning as if today was literally a new fresh day. I realize that every single thing I do should in fact glorify God. I have been holding out and not giving to God all that is his.. meaning ME.

Day 6 (today)
I woke up feeling so clean and new. It was almost strange. I felt lighter as if so much was lifted off of me. I know in my heart the Holy Spirit has full access to move for God's glory in my life, now. No more holding back. I used to pray and let God know all that I needed. Now, I just want to bless him with all that I have and I want my days left on this earth to glorify God. This life is about HIM and not about me. I had it all backwards. So simple yet so hard. I have spent a lifetime building my own kingdom for my own use for my own glory. Today I woke up as if I did not have a care in the world. I know that by letting go and surrendering to God every single thing will be for his glory, which means it will also be what is best for me. I do not have to stress over life anymore. I am in good hands. The HS will lead me into new depths and directions. It is scary to let go of things we feel are out of our control. In holding on I was trying to control the situation and tell God what I needed and how it needed to be. That's so funny now that I think about it and say it out loud. I am free to live an abundant life like I have never experienced before. That one small thing was holding me back. I let the fear go and took a step of faith and surrendered it all. I know there is freedom in letting go, but I am saying from the bottom of my heart I had no idea how freeing it actually would be. I know all things will literally work out the way God needs them to for his glory. So far Day 6 is awesome and it's only 11:35am.

Hi Group,

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 5 (today)

Thank you.......

Hi Group,
Today is Day 11. All I can say is every day is different. One minute discouraged / the next minute encouraged. I am definitely getting closer to God.

Just a question coffedrinker by fasting 40 days are you meaning you going without solid food completely? Are you still drinking water etc? How do you get by at family meal times?

I would like to fast for longer lengths of time but thats not really possible with my mum around. She would get suspicious and try and force me to eat. Only the other night I was eating dinner and she started to fuss that I wasnt eating enough rice. And my dad would always place chips in front of me. Cups of tea and chips are his thing.

When they were away for three weeks I was free to organise my own meals and had more time to pray.

Just a question coffedrinker by fasting 40 days are you meaning you going without solid food completely? Are you still drinking water etc? How do you get by at family meal times?

I would like to fast for longer lengths of time but thats not really possible with my mum around. She would get suspicious and try and force me to eat. Only the other night I was eating dinner and she started to fuss that I wasnt eating enough rice. And my dad would always place chips in front of me. Cups of tea and chips are his thing.

When they were away for three weeks I was free to organise my own meals and had more time to pray.

I am not actually fasting from food for this fast. I am fasting from all TV. Today is day 12 of no TV. I prayed about it and I feel God wants more of my time/attention. So I am fasting from all TV and instead of watching TV I am reading and praying and spending time with God. I can see a huge benefit to this and each day I feel closer to God.

Oh ok just checking when people say fast often they mean giving up food.

I dont watch tv at all. I sometimes will watch you tube clips and dvds but regualr tv, I cant be bothered with. Too many ads and nothing worth watching. Mum will watch her soap and dad will watch the cricket and weve only got one tv so I never get to see it anyway.

How you going coffeedrinker with the fast? Love to hear how you getting on.
Thank you Lanolin.
Felt like all crazy warfare was unleashed on me starting day 21. It was discouraging, but things were better on day 25. Today is day 27 and so much better. I feel like God answered a huge prayer and removed a very heavy burden I have been carrying since my divorce. That alone is a blessing. Thank you for asking.

Hi Group,

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 5 (today)

Thank you.......

May the Lord bless you sister!

I am finished with the fast and I can definitely see the benefits of going through this. I am going to pray about fasting from something else, now. I enjoyed it and learned a lot.

Back