4th Commandment.

M

Mark_18

4th Commandment.

Does the 4th commandment mean that I should book Saturday off of work?

In this video, it says, one will recieve the mark of the beast by believing that Sunday is a holy day contrary to God's word. Also read the text below it.

I'm so confused. Someone also says, look at Jesus, what day did he worship on. I honestly don't know...

Another guy says in the comments that the video is way off base. I can't see exactly why myself, can anyone clear things up here?

I'm sure someone will be able to provide a better history, but really, with the advent of the modern day calendar, Sunday/Saturday and picking a first day is really arbitrary. I've even seen calendars where they put Sunday as the last day for convention, and it really makes no difference.

What day of the week would the FIRST Sabbath fall on according to the Gregorian calendar?

I don't know. I tend to think that I could work 7 days a week and still find time for worship. Why a certain day?

In non-denominational Christian teachings, 'sabbath' (Hebrew) means simply "to rest".

Christ became our Sabbath... we take comfort in Him and we rest in His Word. Every day is our 'sabbath' in Christ.

Some denominations have actually taken a less than correct interpretation of the word to assign a worship day of the week. While that is better than nothing, it does not fall into the proper usage of the word 'sabbath' as it applies to Christ becoming our 'rest'. Hebrews 4:1-13 (KJV) mentions this in detail.

A full study can be found at the link below fo anyone who wishes to read about it from a non-denominational viewpoint.

Sabbath Bible Study

That's what Pastor Arnold Murray said this morning, Pastor Gary!:eek: Almost exactly!

Sabbath means to rest, and our rest comes in Christ Jesus and God. Don't just remember them now and then...keep them holy in our lives, every day.

I see now.

Like now I am taking sabbath for the next few hours and listen to this song to start out:

GodTube.com - You Are God Alone

Taking my mind off of my worries and how much I want to change this world.

Taking my mind off of it right now just happens to be the best way to do it! Ya know?

Does the 4th commandment mean that I should book Saturday off of work?

In this video, it says, one will recieve the mark of the beast by believing that Sunday is a holy day contrary to God's word. Also read the text below it.

I'm so confused. Someone also says, look at Jesus, what day did he worship on. I honestly don't know...

Another guy says in the comments that the video is way off base. I can't see exactly why myself, can anyone clear things up here?

Sorry brother but all the Old Testament was a type and shadow of the new. Jesus is our Sabbath rest- we rest in Him, we devote ourselves to God, we worship and fellowship with God thru Him.
Besides that priests were the ones supposed to work on the Sabbath and His Word declares we are priests and kings. So get to work- lol!

Mark, you have just been exposed to the teachings of the seventh day adventists. They believe that anybody who does not follow the original Sabbath (Friday sunset to Saturday sunset) carries the mark of the beast.

This is all based on a vision by Ellen G White, who apparently saw the sabbath shining more brightly out of the ten commandments.

The seventh day adventists are a difficult group to weigh up as some have branded them a cult but unlike other cults they recognise Jesus as sovereign God and saviour. I think they have just concentrated on the religious side of Christianity and not on the reasons Jesus actually came.

The bible clearly says that if the law could save then Jesus died in vane.

Other doctrines they believe in is soul sleep after death, eternal punishment does not exist but rather we get obliterated out of existence.

There are many other sabbaterian gruops which have splintered out of the Seventh Day adventists, each with different various beliefs but most of them concentrate on the books of Daniel and Revelation.

They seem to believe in the gift of prophecy but say that people who can speak in tongues are demon possesed. (double standards)

I believe there are many true christians amongst their ranks, but we must remember that belief in the church will not lead us to salvation but only belief in Jesus Christ can bring salvation.

My advise to you is to stay away from things like U-Tube and other secular things until you have a solid grounding in the word of God. We have to learn to walk before we can run, let alone fight.

Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

For those who believe that Saturday(the Sabath) is more important, then for them it is . For those who believe Sunday(the firt day of the week) is more holy ,then for them it is.
The Sabbath ( day of rest) was made for man ,not man made for the day.

Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

OT law requires rest on the seventh day (Saturday) by the modern Calender.
However, as some have stated, that was a shadow of the coming rest found in Christ Jesus. No one is bound by this doctrine/ law except those who choose to bind themselves to it. And they have no business trying to bind others by their beliefs.
While many disciples "being Jews" entered the temple on the Sabbath (Saturday)they and the gentiles "the church" were acustomed to meeting the first day of the week(Sunday).

Act 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

BTW "You Tube" is not a reliable source of biblical truth. May I suggest that you stick closer to the Christian faith and limit your resources to scripture and Holy Spirit guidence.

It will save you from a lot of needless and dangerous confussion and worry in the future.

Respectfully
Cliff

Amen Cliff. Let each man follow his conscience towards God on these matters.

I don't know. I tend to think that I could work 7 days a week and still find time for worship. Why a certain day?

The sabbath is God's holy gift for man. The sabbath was created for man and not man for the sabbath. If you practice the sabbath, you will discover what a wonderful gift it is. (and no, I'm not a seventh day adventist...ha, ha...)

I also agree with what boanerges said,

Amen Cliff. Let each man follow his conscience towards God on these matters.

In all things, we should follow God's lead and not judge others for their beliefs.

I fully agree with you all! But would like to add something...

Remember that God gave His chosen people the laws because He loved them. Each & every one of them has a spiritual and logical reason why they should be followed.

Spiritually many people do not have the time allotted to REALLY get into Gods word, really come before His throne...setting a day aside for Him helps them to come together with Him again.

Logically...working every day, doing the same thing every day gets monotonous, and can even have bad health implications....

We (my DH, and children) choose to give God Sunday. We are in Church helping, and worshiping from 7AM until 12. At 12:30 we leave church for home...there we have lunch and a discussion about the morning sermon/sunday school classes. We spend the rest of the day with each other...just enjoying each other. We have diinner, then my DH takes the kids to their Missionettes/Royal Rangers classes. I stay home & have "me" time...really it's my time to sing while doing stuff...no one likes my singing voice :p. (My DH gets this time to himself on Thursday)...

At the end of Sunday, I feel closer to God, tired, but also refershed for the coming week. I also have had a time to "decompress" from the weekend activities. (Saturday is when we do all of the misc. chores...it's exhausting!)

We don't do this "religiously", we just recognise that when we do this, we're a happier family, and the week goes better for us.

Indeed. Historically the French went to a 10 day work week after the Revolution and even the horses were collapsing in the street.

Funny...I was reading my Bible at college today, and somethings on the sabbath.

Luke 13:10-17

A Crippled Woman Healed on the Sabbath

10On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, 11and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. 12When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, "Woman, you are set free from your infirmity." 13Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.

14Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue ruler said to the people, "There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath."
15The Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Doesn't each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water? 16Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?" 17When he said this, all his opponents were humiliated, but the people were delighted with all the wonderful things he was doing.

Luke 14:1-14

Jesus at a Pharisee's House

1One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched. 2There in front of him was a man suffering from dropsy. 3Jesus asked the Pharisees and experts in the law, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath or not?" 4But they remained silent. So taking hold of the man, he healed him and sent him away.

5Then he asked them, "If one of you has a son[a] or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull him out?" 6And they had nothing to say.
7When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: 8"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. 9If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, 'Give this man your seat.' Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. 10But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, 'Friend, move up to a better place.' Then you will be honored in the presence of all your fellow guests. 11For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." 12Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Good scriptures B2LU! Jesus is the High Priest of God and can work on the sabbath, we are priests and kings also and can do likewise. Following His example of loving and helping those in need will never be anything less than the most appropriate thing for us to do.

Back