5/30/2020 Alfred Station Seventh Day BAPTIST Pastor Ken “What He Looks Like”

5/30/2020 Alfred Station Seventh Day BAPTIST Pastor Ken “What He Looks Like” Exodus 20:4-6

**Thou shall not make any graven images and bow down to them**

God says He is a jealous god. God gives Himself the name of Jealous in Exodus 34:14. He wants all the idols and false gods to be destroyed because God is like a jealous husband. Just like a jealous husband says “don’t mess with my wife” to other men, God says “don’t mess with my people” to the false gods and idols in the world.

In Romans 1:18, the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men. In verse 19-20, God has shown Himself to men through the Creation and man has no excuse when he turns away from God and all God’s power. God made all the stars, all the trees and even the maple tree which makes good tasting-miracle good tasting maple syrup.

Instead of accepting God for being God the Almighty, we take and make meaningless steps. We also have foolish hearts with foolish speech that says there is no God. You have heard of atheist which say there is no God. Well some Christians act like God doesn’t exist by what they do and say. They say that they are wiser but instead act like Fools. When they open their mouths, it is obvious that they are Fools. Social media and text messages show that they are Fools!

The making of statues and idols showed how foolish they were. Especially when they bowed down to statues of birds, animals or creeping things and called them gods. In Romans 5:12 it says that by one man, Adam, sin came into the world. We all have the propensity, the leaning toward sin because of Adam. The scripture says that Jesus is the one who came to free us from this inherited sin we have.

In our text, you are not to make graven images or idols that are made to worship. The text says “Do Not” or “Thou shall not” a lot in the covenant. Some folk say “I don’t make any idols”. Question, is there anything that you exchange the glory of God for something that is corruptible? The text says God will curse you by visiting the iniquities/sins of the parents onto the children of the 3rd and 4th generation. We, as parents, are models to our children. If they see us sin then it is passed on to them and they will copy their parent’s behavior.

God promised us that He will show mercy to them that do two things:

• Love God like you are married to Him.
  • Keep God’s commandments:
  • Demonstrate your love to God by keeping His commandments. Some people say that’s Old Testament stuff. But in John 14:15 Jesus said “If you love me then keep my commandments”.
Loving God and keeping His commandments will save us from the wrath of God. And instead we will receive God’s mercy.

AMEN

Back