5 types of love :)

5 types of love :)

To want to be with someone all the time,is infatuation.
To need to be with someone all the time,is obsession.
To feel that you're with someone all the time,is love.

Tender Love.

Ephesians 4:29-32 (New International Version)
29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

When we're in this stage of love,we put ourselves in others' shoes.We're polite,we are careful about what we say.This is important,but should lead to the next stage instead of just stopping here,lest we become a hypocrite and behave in a manner that we want others to believe that's who we are,for whatever reasons.

Tough Love.

Ephesians 4:29-32 (New International Version)
29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

We are called to speak the truth in Love.To rebuke each other if necessary,but not to make ourselves look good.Rebuke only when you can ascertain the specific error,and do not do so in vengeance. For it it futile for man to seek what's not his; the Lord said : "let thy vengeance be mine."

Take note that there is a need for balance (truth telling vs peace making).

Sacrificial Love.

1 John 4:9-12 (New International Version)
9This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

I'd like to draw attention to the story of the good samaritan, who is the example by which we should follow.. (read Luke 10:30-37).

Basically, these were the mindsets of the people;

Robbers - what is yours is mine,and I will take it.
Priest/Levite - What is mine is mine,and I will keep it.
Samaritan - What is mine is yours,and I will share it.

It's pretty obvious which is pleasing in His sight. :)

Steadfast Love.

1 Samuel 30:6 (New International Version)
6 David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the LORD his God.

Three main lessons can be learnt from this.

1) Love those who are difficult to love (enemies,opponents,etc).
2) Love even in difficult situations (David faced the probability of being stoned).
3) Love without expectations.

If we love only those who are easy to love..then how different are we from those living by the worldly standards? would we have done enough for our neighbors? The way we treat others is in direct proportion to our walk with God.

Radical Love.

Matthew 5:38-42 (New International Version)

An Eye for an Eye
38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39 But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

We are called to be the salt and light of the Earth.Meaning,we're called to be different. Therefore,we're required to do more than what is required.Instead of retaliating (which is simple and reflex) we are called to love those who strike us,simply because they are our neighbors,and to love our neighbors as ourselves is the second highest order [next to loving the Lord your God]. So be different,and reach out to your neighbors.

Back