A Bible study over the "Value of Prayer"

When the Sabbath ends, my wife and I often visit churches on Sundays that are close by in our neighborhood because some of them are looking for understanding in the Jewish roots of the Christian faith.

The following is a Sunday School lesson which I received from “Reconciliation Anglican Church” here in Houston, Texas on 8/26/18. The pastor was kind enough to give me permission to put this lesson online for all to see and feel free to download and make copies to share with your Bible study groups and congregations.

Rabbi Ben Avraham
________________________________________________________________________________

BIBLE STUDY: “THE VALUE OF PRAYER”

Aim/purpose: to teach those who have the desire to learn the value of prayer, how to pray, to identify hindrances to prayer, and how to pray effectively. \

INTRODUCTION: Prayer is to the Christian what breath is to the living organism. That is why Scripture instructs Christians to pray ceaselessly (1 Thessalonians 5:17; Luke 18:1) By praying, the believer gets his or her needs met. Jesus himself prayed before every major activity He carried out (Mark 1:35; Luke 6:12)

QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION:

What is prayer? (1 Samuel 1:15; 2 Samuel 22:4; Mark 11:24)
Why is prayer necessary in the life of a believer? (Nehemiah 9:27; Psalm 40:1-2; Ephesians 6:12; Joel 2:32; (Matthew 26:41; Mark 11:24).

How should a believer pray to receive answers? (Matt 6:9-15; Romans 8:26,27; Gen 24:12-19; James 1:6-8 ; 1 Thess 5:17; Psalm 55:16,17)

What hinders prayer? ((Psalm 66:18; Isaiah 59:1-3; Matt 5:23-24; 6:14,15; Ephesians 4:26, 27)

MEMORY VERSE: Luke 18:1 “He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart.”

CONCLUSION: For us to enjoy fellowship and due relationship with God, we need to initiate the process of asking, seeking, and knocking. When we initiate, God gives us enabling grace to seek more persistently till we receive answers. Unless we initiate and persist we might not obtain. We may not also enjoy the warmth of fellowship with God. Make sure you forgive anyone who offends you. Do not have the spirit of unforgiveness at all in your heart.

Back