A Case For Slavery

A Case for Slavery
Biological
As I start with this case, I want to stress an important point that I feel like many miss. That is, in calling them "victims" we are being erroneous because the individuals we are talking about are not, strictly speaking human beings. They are, scientifically, described as a kind of proto-human. Not quite developed enough to be considered an "actual" human being, so to call them victims is actually disparaging to real humans.

Legal
Now, aside from the biological perspective one must recognize an integral legal argument. The fifth amendment protect's a person privacy and property from undue intrusion. So, it this case, while it may seem odd, perhaps even inhumane to call them property, that is what they are. Until their connection to us is severed, they are as legally a part of our ownership as an arm or a leg. We may do what we wish with an arm or a leg because it is part of our body and our property, and likewise in the other case.

Moral
Some will attempt to argue this institution is immoral but I would challenge that. If the one who "owns" it, wishes to say, terminate its life (I say it because of the biological facts), due to a lack of either will or ability to take care of it, certainly it would be more moral to end its life that force it to suffer under such circumstances. Some argue that it could be given away to someone who does want it, and to that I would simply have to point them back in the direction of the legality. If she does not want to give it to someone else, because it is easier or more convenient to simply end its life, that is her legal right.

Conclusion
While some will certainly disagree with this assessment, one must recognize its admittance according to law and indeed the Supreme Court has already permitted it before, even as this is a case for... abortion.

Only problem is that we have not set a standard on when life begins or ends.

Until then, the debate will continue on both issues.

Only problem is that we have not set a standard on when life begins or ends.

Until then, the debate will continue on both issues.

I agree and at the same time, I disagree.

I disagree in that the standard HAS been set. Speaking outside of religion for a moment, both science and philosophy conclude that a human life does indeed begin at conception, albeit under developed and extremely dependent. Though even after birth, we are underdeveloped and dependent. And the common philosophy is that each human being has a right to life.

The part on which I agree with you is that even though we have this information, the standard gets ignored quite often and we focus on the legality rather than the education, which is why so many people are still pro-abortion.

Yes, and you have to decide whether you have chosen that side or whether you have made a MISTAKE as human beings do and there is nothing to be ashamed about for having done.

Once a person chooses to place his faith and trust in Christ and the authority of the word of God, he knows he has not made a mistake.

It isn't wrong, and no---I am not interested in you making this thread your personal soapbox.
It isn't about a soapbox, it's about humility. All you need to do is consider is that there may be another person besides yourself who has "placed his faith and trust in Christ and the authority of the word of God" and that they have a different understanding than you do. That could easily happen, and you know it's the case. You can't simply go through life saying that God's on your side and therefore you are always right, because essentially this is the statement you are making.

It isn't about a soapbox, it's about humility. All you need to do is consider is that there may be another person besides yourself who has "placed his faith and trust in Christ and the authority of the word of God" and that they have a different understanding than you do. That could easily happen, and you know it's the case. You can't simply go through life saying that God's on your side and therefore you are always right, because essentially this is the statement you are making.

There is no "different understanding". Those who have received their salvation in Christ and are walking with God, believing His word, have the same understanding about those essential things.

I don't say God is on my side (although He is right there by my side protecting me and going before me, making the rough places plain and the crooked places straight), but I am on His side, and believe what He says over anyone else...which is how He wants us to be. His ways are better and higher than our ways. God is always right.

The statement you make with your paradigm is that God is not sovereign---man and what he thinks is.

There is no "different understanding".
Yes there IS, Euphemia, and this is one of the problems we have in the world right now! Everyone thinks THEIR understanding is the right, true, correct, holy, and best one. And when you get two people with that same kind of arrogance butting heads, you encounter things like holy wars.

I am on His side, and believe what He says over anyone else...which is how He wants us to be. His ways are better and higher than our ways. God is always right.
And what on earth does that have to do with the point I'm making, which is that God's always right but you aren't? And that you're going to clash with other people who feel the same way you do?

The statement you make with your paradigm is that God is not sovereign---man and what he thinks is.
No, the statement I'm making is you are a fallible human being and as much as you think you're following God's word perfectly, sometimes you are incorrect. And I'm by no means picking on you, everyone makes mistakes, we're all human. You can't simply say "God's perfect and I think what he thinks." I'm sure the 9/11 hijackers thought they had God on their side, too.

Yes there IS, Euphemia, and this is one of the problems we have in the world right now! Everyone thinks THEIR understanding is the right, true, correct, holy, and best one. And when you get two people with that same kind of arrogance butting heads, you encounter things like holy wars.

That happens when sin and pride enter into it. I am talking about the unity that Christians have in Christ, knowing that God's ways are right, and together they seek His ways.

And what on earth does that have to do with the point I'm making, which is that God's always right but you aren't? And that you're going to clash with other people who feel the same way you do?

God's people don't seriously clash with one another when they are walking in the Spirit. There is unity in the Body of Christ, and we are instructed by God to maintain it.

No, the statement I'm making is you are a fallible human being and as much as you think you're following God's word perfectly, sometimes you are incorrect. And I'm by no means picking on you, everyone makes mistakes, we're all human. You can't simply say "God's perfect and I think what he thinks." I'm sure the 9/11 hijackers thought they had God on their side, too.

Yes, we are all fallible, prone to mistakes, and God is perfect in all His ways and I endeavour to adapt to His ways of thinking. Your last comment doesn't belong, because those people do not believe in God.

Back