A Christian rock band, and friendship.

A Christian rock band, and friendship.

Hi everyone, please bear with me.

Ever since about a year ago, my best friend and I always wanted to start a Christian rock band. This year we met a few new people and found out that they could play the instruments that we needed. (Bass guitar and drums.) So we started a Christian rock band about 2 months ago.

Well, my best friend plays the guitar and I play electric violin.

Then comes the problem of, who is going to be our singer?

We found another close friend who can sing really well and he came to practice one day. We didn't really let him sing that day, it was just letting him come and see how things work there.

Three days later, our new singer decided to suddenly quit the band.

I asked him why, and he said, "Well, I don't like the idea of being in a Christian band."

A few days later, he decided that he wanted to rejoin.

I asked him if he thought that he could live a Christian lifestyle. He asked me if he would be allowed to cuss and I told him no, that was part of it. He told me other reasons, too. He told me that he would not be able to live a Christian life style and that he wasn't even going to try.

The next day, I told our drum player and he accused me of judging our singer. I told him, I am not judging him, he TOLD me that he couldn't have the lifestyle.

I know that part of being in a Christian band is having a Christian lifestyle!!!!!

Do you guys think I am right? What am I supposed to do? Now the old singer AND the drum player are mad at me!
-------------------------------------------------

[[You can stop reading here if you would like, I am about to go on to my next problem.]]

Our guitar player (my best friend)'s dad is one of the pastors at a local church. He told us that if we could learn 2 of our own songs, we could open up for another band at a concert in 3 weeks.

So at practice, we learned a song. Our practice went really well. Until the next day...

Our drum player asked me if I thought that we would be able to do it. I told him I thought we could do whatever we set our minds to. He told me that he doesn't think we can do it.

He keeps making up all kinds of excuses not to play at the show.

First, he said "Well, I don't have a whole set of drums." So, we found a new whole set for him. We borrowed them from someone.

Then he said, "Well, we don't have a singer."
Then the whole band decided that I would sing, while I am not playing the violin.

He continues to make up excuses. How can I prove to him that we can do this if we think we can? :confused:

If you are honoring God with your music then let go of the ones who don't feel the same- if you are playing for yourself it may not matter as much but if you are playing for Jesus it certainly does matter. You need to find out if your drummer is really commited- if not pray, and look for a replacement- I hope it works out great for your guys and I will buy your cd when it comes out- blessings brother Larry

IMO, yes you are right. Worshipping isn't just "singing", it's giving God what he deserves: "the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise." (Isaiah 43:21) Music isn't what God wants, for he created it, it's just one of the many ways you can express your heart to him.

Therefore, anyone who wishes to worship God must have a clean heart. "If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;" (Psalms 66:18) So if your new singer refuses to follow Jesus, you should not and WILL NOT let him join! Some bands blindly get people to join just because they are musically talented, without even checking how close they are with God. Would God bless that kind of band? No, at least, I don't think so. A good relationship with God of each member is the very first thing that matters, music comes after that.

The most important thing in any ministry is whether or not God approves that ministry. Pray and think about it, explain to your drummer and your old singer why you made your decision. I will stress this again, PRAY WITH FEAR TREMBLING that God would approve and bless your band. If God wants your work to go ahead, then you will naturally find talented, God-fearing people to happily join you.

Also, show your drummer this:

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Phil 4:13)

Blessings in Jesus :cross:

you are completely right, i am actually a Christian rapper/lyricist. I have to live by the word or else my words are in vain. Trust me, a strong conviction builds up inside when you speak about the Word and fail to live by it yourself.
I have felt guilty at times when i have fallen short, and it is no different than any other sin that can be committed.
A Christian lifestyle is the price you have to pay in order to be a disciple of his. It is not easy, the spirit is willing but the body is weak.

As for your first problem, the "Christian music" industry has a LOT of self-righteous, judgmental followers. So often the musicians are held up to impossibly high standards, so I can understand what you drummer is thinking, and your singer.

However, much more importantly, we have enough fakes, we don't need any more. So you either need to find some people who are actually dedicated to this, or wait until the time is right.

Every band has a first performance, putting it off doesn't make things any easier.

Alot of good advice here StellarKate. What you need to do know is seek God about it you will know in your heart what is the right thing to do! Blessings- brother Larry

Thanks you guys, yall are really helpful. =]
We decided that we would not let the singer be in quite a while back, and thanks to that, I have to be our temporary singer. Ah.

But, I know the drummer is a true Christian, he lives in the ways that he should. But its just that, for some reason, he doubts us and I really don't know what to tell him...

Being in a Christian group (well just in any kind of music group) for people is very difficult. Its like people chemistry, trying to find the right people to work together without having everything blow up around you.

I actually played in a Christian band back in the late eighties early nineties. I remember a guitar player we had that had some ego issues and we had to make a decision to let him go after a show. It wasn't an easy thing to do, but it was the right choice.

I personally can't handle it when people judge...I believe we have no right to judge and I always try to keep an open mind.

But in this instance, if you'll allow me to judge a little myself...you're right!

First, if this person isn't able to live a Christian life...what is he/she doing trying to join a Christian rock band? To thine own self be true, Stellar...if you allow this person (who had admitted that he would be unable to live a Christian life) into your Christian rock band, you'd no longer be a Christian rock band. You'd be a Mostly-Christian rock band. Or just a rock band.

Flip things over. Like a big pancake. Let's say there's a group called Satan's Servants (I'm sure there is out there somewhere, we got just about everything else). They know you're a Christian, but they also know you can wail like no other person on the planet so they want you to be their lead singer to spread their message and their word. But you have to stop praying to Jesus. Would you do it? Of course you wouldn't! It's the same thing. And if they let you be the lead singer and allowed you to continue worshipping God and Jesus, they could no longer call themselves Satan's Servants, because one of them would not be serving the devil.

Go ahead. Flip the pancake back over. You're still a Christian rock band. You still know what message you're spreading, you still know who you're serving. Your little light is shining, Stellar. I admire that! :)

I'm sorry, but I would advise you left the band all together. As far as I'm concerned you cannot live a Christian lifestyle while being in a 'Christian' rock band. Rock music is Satanic, and no Christian should have anything to do with it.

I'm not trying to be horrid or anything. I hope you realise this.:) I know I'm going the right way about getting shot too. :eek:

We are all entitled to our opinions. Music was created to worship God. People don't like change but prefer tradition. When the church organ came out is was scorned as " the devils bagpipes", try and get them out of a tradional church now and you would be considered a heretic. I choose to look on the heart being expressed and I am assured my heavenly Father does the same.

I also do not understand how Christian rock music is Satanic. It is truly the lyrics that make the songs; some secular music could be considered as such, but if the songs are truly praising the Lord, then indeed, Christian rock is a good thing. It's the message that counts!

In the end, music always says it best for me.

God is not a secret - Newsboys said:
You don't understand
this is not what you think it is
You don't get it, man
you want to boil it down to show biz
Your in depth research shows:
drop the God, emphasize the beat
I've heard that positive pop you dig--
I'd rather be buried in wet concrete
Take back your free advice
I don't accept
I will not play those games
God is not a secret to be kept

You don't understand
I'm not talking multiple choice
You don't get it, man
if the cross offends you, find another voice
I am not running for office here
I won't keep it purposefully vague
I've heard New Age Life-force trip
I'd rather be dipped in bubonic plague

Take back your free advice
I don't accept
I will not play those games

Faith ain't easy to understand
When a bird in the bush beats two in the hand
The truth ain't nothin' you taste and hide
You gotta get up, put up, get off your backside
x2

If we keep silent
If we mass defect
These very rocks will scream

And would I wash my hands again?
Would I deny my savior when
he hung inside the public square?
Did not my silence put him there?

Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name - Petra said:
somebody's gonna praise His name
somebody's gonna call Him Lord
it'll either be you and me
or it's gonna be a rock or tree
somebody, somewhere is gonna praise His name

Jesus said that it couldn't be stopped
Jesus said that it had to be heard
His creation will praise Him
Jesus said we could be assured
if we all maintain our silence
even stones will cry out so loud
all alone or in a crowd
in the end every tongue will confess
every knee will eventually bow
it's so easy to go for it now

and it's gonna be me
it's gonna be me
somebody's gonna praise Him
and it's gonna be me

Lord I lift my voice to You
and I magnify Your name
You are Alpha and Omega
You are everyday the same
as long as I draw breath my lips will praise You
as long as I have strength I want to praise Your name

I'm sorry, but I would advise you left the band all together. As far as I'm concerned you cannot live a Christian lifestyle while being in a 'Christian' rock band. Rock music is Satanic, and no Christian should have anything to do with it.

I'm not trying to be horrid or anything. I hope you realise this.:) I know I'm going the right way about getting shot too. :eek:

I know how you feel, hoo-boy!

Mom told me that rap music was evil. She pounded it into my mind, so much that back when I became the music director at a local radio station, I wouldn't play rap music at all on the air!

Just recently, my nephew was listening to his rap music in my house and I made him shut it off. Later on, I picked up the CD by the stereo...then I felt bad. It was rap by Toby Mac, I believe the name was. So, against every grain in me I listened to the CD.

It was beautiful! I like the song called Diverse City. Now I just have to break it to my mom the reason that I know all the words to some rap songs! :rolleyes:

Stellarkate, the truth is, you don't want to be starting anything that potentially may end up being a career, a lifestyle with someone who is not dedicated to God. The bible tells us not to be unequally yoked, while this is most often used in the area of marriage, I believe it also refers to any relationship - a business one too. You don't want to connect yourself with a non believer.

Pray for direction and pray for God to send the right person for your group.

In realtion to christian rock, well, I believe it is dangerous teritory at times, if people look at you and listen to your songs and know without doubt you are christian, well that is a ministry, if they hear your songs and see you and wouldn't know that you are christian, well that is wrong. The thing is, I feel that christian rock will certainly reach a group of people that the church will never get through their doors, well maybe after they are saved, but not before. I see groups such as Third Day, Casting Crowns, Mercy Me, Delirious?, etc being on the forefront of a specific ministry area. Just my opinion.

Back