A Christian?

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh.
Rom 2:29But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

It is very common today for people to look at what walks out of the local Church Building as being a group of Christians. And yet, that is not true. Here, in the U.S., it has become good business to belong to ¨the Church.¨ When a man or a woman walks down the aisle and makes a profession of faith, it is not that action that makes them a Christian. Many have made that trip that were saved before they even crossed the threshold that day, I am one of those.

Now, a bit of history is helpful for understanding how to apply what Paul is saying here and it's relation to us. Christianity became noticed and established under the rule of the Romans and was determined by the Romans to be a sect of Judaism, Christians were known as Jews.

Now, most of the converts to Christianity in the early days, converted from Judaism but that has changed. The Jewish man understood the outward circumcision and they all carried the physical sign. The inward circumcision is another matter, all together. As a lost man, singing on stage, I received free alcohol, drugs and sex. As a saved man, all of that was cut away from my inward self. I tried a beer, shortly after being saved, and the taste was horrible! God had changed me!

When I converted, I totally surrendered my life to God and because I did that, my Heavenly Father cut away the old corruption and produced a brand new creature to magnify His glory with. I have read and reread the Bible a few times and I do my best to live my life in the light of His Word. That is what a real Christian does.

Christians are the "followers" of Christ. During the time of our Lord, these were the Great Multitudes that followed Him, and fed with "few loaves of bread and fishes." I don't know whether Christians today realized what happened then.

When Jesus began to speak "spiritual things," many of these Christians, also called Disciples, did the following:

Joh 6:60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

Joh 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Who do we think the Disciples remained with Jesus Christ?

Back