A Famous G.K. Chesterson Quote...revised

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
“When a man stops believing in God,” said GK Chesterton, “he doesn’t then believe in nothing, he believes anything.”

Thinking of this today, I would amend it to say, "When a man stops believing in God, he doesn’t then believe in nothing, he believes in evil.”

Our culture is experiencing both...stops believing in God / believes in evil.

Thoughts?

Hello crossnote;

When I start to sway from believing God I have to pray to get pulled back to Him. Who else am I going to believe?

Psalm 73:25, 25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. - ESV

The heaven and desire are added benefits that come only from believing in God.

GK Chesterton was a philosopher, writer, journalist, author and I feel that people who have his accomplishments tend to mix "choice" words in their thoughts and apologetics. I could be wrong.

When Chesterton wrote, "“he doesn’t then believe in nothing, he believes anything” could be the same as your amendment, "When a man stops believing in God, he doesn’t then believe in nothing, he believes in evil.”

It is true, crossnote. When we stop believing in God we will begin to believe in the first thing or solution that comes to our mind with subtle evil and eventually sin.

God bless you, brother and thank you for sharing this thread.

Hi, Bob thanks for your input. Without getting deep into philosophical subtleties etc., I just wanted to touch on the effects of when a person who denies God and His Word. This may be on a societal level or individual. On a societal level we see a massive build-up of evil, due to a forsaking of God and His Word... and of course, society is made up of individuals.

Yes, thank you for your post crossnote. I'm with Bob, in examining when I have drifted a bit in my believing. I generally notice that my attitude is out of adjustment, and my faith is not as strong, because of my complaining! But lately, the Lord has been close on my tail in conviction about the slightest little complaining type of attitude, that moves the presence of Christ away from me, which leads to the sin of Pride, selfishness, captivated negative and unholy thoughts, that take longer than normal in being brought subject to the mind of Christ!

Here would be twin ápropos passages...

Psalm 14:1-3 (KJV) To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Psalm 53:1-3 (KJV)
To the chief Musician upon Mahalath, Maschil, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

When one who professed a belief in God but at a later time stops believing in God it seems to either be occasioned by a great personal tragedy, or the result of a gradual succumbing to the trials of life.

Both of these are indicative of a focus on personal circumstances rather than the bigger picture of the Lord's kingdom.

Agape ( sacrificial love ) focuses outward from self. While Agape can only proceed from us if the Spirit empowers us, we can nurture it in ourselves by actively seeking to express God's love to others.

The result becomes a stronger love that can withstand both the assaults of tragedy and last through the times of dryness.

When one who professed a belief in God but at a later time stops believing in God it seems to either be occasioned by a great personal tragedy, or the result of a gradual succumbing to the trials of life.

Both of these are indicative of a focus on personal circumstances rather than the bigger picture of the Lord's kingdom.

Agape ( sacrificial love ) focuses outward from self. While Agape can only proceed from us if the Spirit empowers us, we can nurture it in ourselves by actively seeking to express God's love to others.

The result becomes a stronger love that can withstand both the assaults of tragedy and last through the times of dryness.
Thanks, I didn’t see that part of the G.K.quote, ‘stops believing in God’. In my case, I never started believing in God, until I was 25 and haven’t stopped since. I guess I was applying that quote to a nation in general.

There are those that when one talks to them about God and Christ, respond by saying that they do not personally believe one way or the other, but have an "open mind" about it.

A mind too open allows whatever is in it to fall out, and whatever is not in, however silly, to drop in.

Our response should be to present the Gospel in whatever way is appropriate to the instance and remember that we do not spread the Gospel by compelling, but by giving witness to what the Lord has done for us.

Todays society seems to be saying "We will believe anything but GOD." It is sad to see so many college students who were raised Christian being indoctrinated out of the truth by professors that are supposed to be teaching the truth. Evolution is being taught as if it were a fact when there is no evidence to support it. God and the Bible are taught as though they are myth, despite the evidence that supports them. This world is falling fast.

Yes, so very True! What you said is happening in my life right now! Thank you, Lord!

Back