A Holy Life

A Holy Life

Many do not really know what holiness is. It has to do with our attitudes, character, and being conformed into his image, being like Him in the inner man. The Word of God is still the same. It has never changed. We are to be holy like Him

1 Peter 1:14
As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy

Hebrews 12:14
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord

Ephesians 5:27
That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

The word saint is the same root word as Holy . we become saints by trusting Him .

and we live as saints by relying on His grace day by day . the truth of the matter is .

We are already Holy because He is in us . and He is the Holiness within us .

"Call not common what the Lord has made holy" -Acts

Ephesians 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Galatians 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Matthew 7:13
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.

It might not be very popular, but it's the truth anyway.
If anyone thinks holiness is being old fashioned then they would be saying God is old fashioned. I'll take His gospel over some watered down gospel any day.

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death

I think when we see Grace for the power it is . we will trust God to make us holy instead of our own self effort .

Of course we can't be holy in ourselves. That would be a self righteousness attitude. But we yield to the holiness of God in us. We need to walk it out in our life and not follow the flesh.

Galatians 5:25
If welive in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit

Philippians 2:12
Therefore, my dear ones, as you have always obeyed [my suggestions], so now, not only [with the enthusiasm you would show] in my presence but much more because I am absent, work out (cultivate, carry out to the goal, and fully complete) your own salvation with reverence and awe and trembling (self-distrust, [b]with serious caution, tenderness of conscience, watchfulness against temptation, timidly shrinking from whatever might offend God and discredit the name of Christ).

Of course we can't be holy in ourselves. That would be a self righteousness attitude. But we yield to the holiness of God in us. We need to walk it out in our life and not follow the flesh.

Galatians 5:25
If welive in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit

Philippians 2:12
Therefore, my dear ones, as you have always obeyed [my suggestions], so now, not only [with the enthusiasm you would show] in my presence but much more because I am absent, work out (cultivate, carry out to the goal, and fully complete) your own salvation with reverence and awe and trembling (self-distrust, [b]with serious caution, tenderness of conscience, watchfulness against temptation, timidly shrinking from whatever might offend God and discredit the name of Christ).

Hmm then we're talking about the same thing .

I think i place less emphasis on what i do because i see what God does through me is just too big to really be me doing it . the only work i'm doing is trusting Him .

I think i place less emphasis on what i do because i see what God does through me is just too big to really be me doing it . the only work i'm doing is trusting Him .

Amen to that cause when you put your whole trust in Him .... it also takes the pressure off ourselves . He tells us to trust Him but sometimes our stubborness gets in the way ( At least mine does ) .

Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Why is it so difficult to live a holy life ? The God we serve is holy, we read His holy Scriptures, we have His holy Spirit, we worship His Holy Son, yet we deny our living holy?

InHisLove
I wanted to make a point on this thread so I "borrowed" this comment and verse from you. LOL :D

InHisLove said:
it does sicken my heart to see how some people are so flippant about the way they present themselves to God.
InHisLove said:
Yes, He accepts us JUST THE WAY we are; however I believe we should "present our bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service" (Romans 12:1).

We do know its not by works we are saved. But that doesn't mean we living sloppy agape, live loosely, or disobedient lives. That's a bad witness and we are not to do anything outsiders, unbeliever can speak against us. This is why so many have no respect for preachers, Christians or Christianity.

In order to live a Holy Life , we need to take up our cross and follow Jesus and that means , he must be first in our life . We must deny ourselves and die to sin and selffishness . If our common life is not a common course of . . .humility,self denial,renunciation of the world,poverty of spirit,and heavenly affection,we do not live the lives of Christians. OUr God is Holy and we must strive to live our lives in a holy way paterning our life after Jesus Christ.

In order to live a Holy Life , we need to take up our cross and follow Jesus and that means , he must be first in our life . We must deny ourselves and die to sin and selffishness . If our common life is not a common course of . . .humility,self denial,renunciation of the world,poverty of spirit,and heavenly affection,we do not live the lives of Christians. OUr God is Holy and we must strive to live our lives in a holy way paterning our life after Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 5:1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. 3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person -- such a man is an idolater -- has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them. 8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord.

There are many passages that speak of obedience and that is not living by the law as some imply, saying they don’t have to do any thing, they are free to live any way they want because salvations is by grace. They are twisting and using verses to excuse some of theirs behaviors and actions, and carnal fleshly life styles. Avoid the appearance of evil. Do not act and talk and do like the unbelievers. There are too many that love the darkness more than the light. We are to walk in the spirit, walk in the light. Those that are not walking in the light, the world calls hypocrites.

Nice topic "Godspeaks"

As Christians we are called to be Holy:

Elected to:
Romans 8:28,
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Called to:
1 Thess. 4:7
For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness.

Created in:
Eph. 4:24
and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

Possessed by:
1 Cor. 3:16-17
Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

In Our Lives:

Manner of life:
1 Peter 1:15
but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,

Fruitfulness:
By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

God bless,
Godbe4me

There are many passages that speak of obedience and that is not living by the law as some imply, saying they don’t have to do any thing, they are free to live any way they want because salvations is by grace. They are twisting and using verses to excuse some of theirs behaviors and actions, and carnal fleshly life styles. Avoid the appearance of evil. Do not act and talk and do like the unbelievers. There are too many that love the darkness more than the light. We are to walk in the spirit, walk in the light. Those that are not walking in the light, the world calls hypocrites.

This is so true and actually we were talking in B. S. last night about that . Romans 3: 20 ... Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law: rather through the law we became conscious of sin .

Paul is saying that no one can be acceptable by following the law since we all fell short because of sin . But we also observe the law because now we have the Holy Spirit indwelling in us and we don't want to do all the things we did before .

Those people who think they can just go about their merry way are being deceived by satan who wants to lie , cheat steal and rob us of our salvation .

In other words the requirements of the law are now written on our hearts if we are truly following Christ.

Nice topic "Godspeaks"

As Christians we are called to be Holy:

Elected to:
Romans 8:28,
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Called to:
1 Thess. 4:7
For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness.

Created in:
Eph. 4:24
and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

Possessed by:
1 Cor. 3:16-17
Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

In Our Lives:

Manner of life:
1 Peter 1:15
but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,

Fruitfulness:
By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

God bless,
Godbe4me

Thanks for that . That is a very good analogy .

Holiness .... from the greek and the hebrew the hebrew : " quadash " .... meaning " separateness " " withdrawal' and the Greek ... " hag " an equivalant of the hebrew word .

God is Holy and His people are to be Holy .... 1 Peter 1:15 .... Holiness is equated with purity .... Matt. 5:8 .... a purity that is innocence . The means of purification is the truth of the Word of God .

The scriptures are Holy . The law is Holy . The life of the individual Christian is to be a living holy sacrifice not only through death but through life itself .

Holiness .... from the greek and the hebrew the hebrew : " quadash " .... meaning " separateness " " withdrawal' and the Greek ... " hag " an equivalant of the hebrew word .

God is Holy and His people are to be Holy .... 1 Peter 1:15 .... Holiness is equated with purity .... Matt. 5:8 .... a purity that is innocence . The means of purification is the truth of the Word of God .

The scriptures are Holy . The law is Holy . The life of the individual Christian is to be a living holy sacrifice not only through death but through life itself .

Amen Dusty, and thanks for giving the "Greek" and "Hebrew" meaning.

Back