a royal priesthood,
an holy nation,
a peculiar people;
that ye should shew forth
the praises of Him Who hath called you
out of darkness into His marvellous light:'

(1 Pet. 2:9)

Hello there,

I believe that Peter was addressing that 'generation' (during the Acts period) who were the believing remnant of Israel. For God has never recognized a priesthood except that which He ordained Himself, and that is confined to the nation of Israel. God said to Israel in Exodus 19:5,6, through Moses :-

'Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed,
and keep my covenant,
then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people:
for all the earth is mine:
And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests,
and an holy nation.
These are the words which thou shalt speak
unto the children of Israel.'

* This was a true promise and prophecy of and for Israel in that past dispensation.
* As you can see this is contingent on their obedience and the keeping of the covenant God had made with them. Their history reveals that they were not able to fulfill either obligation, so they were unable to perform the Divinely allotted role of national priesthood at that time.

* The tribe of Levi was substituted for the nation in the role of Priests; but the national performance of that promise remains still in abeyance until such time as Israel shall turn to the Lord. The promise was repeated at a later date, in Isaiah 71:6, which assures us of that::-

'But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD:
men shall call you the Ministers of our God:
ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles,
and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.'

(Isa 61:6)

'And they shall bring all your brethren
for an offering unto the LORD
out of all nations
upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters,
and upon mules, and upon swift beasts,
to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD,
as the children of Israel
bring an offering in a clean vessel
into the house of the LORD.
And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites,
saith the LORD.
For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make,
shall remain before me, saith the LORD,
so shall your seed and your name remain.'

(Isa 66:20-22)

* The believing remnant during the Acts, were part of the new covenant, and were in essence what Israel will yet be, a Kingdom of Priests and an Holy nation.

* We have no national identity that we should be called a 'nation', do we? We are also not of that 'generation' spoken of in 1 Peter, are we?

* Peter addressed his epistle to:-

'Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
to the strangers
(see Heb.11:13; 1 Pet.2:11)
scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father,
through sanctification of the Spirit,
unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ:
Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.'

(1Peter 1:1,2)

* These were they who were believing Israelites, who were dispersed through persecution out among the nations. They were self confessed, 'strangers and pilgrims' on the earth, as their forebears had been.:-

'These all died in faith,
not having received the promises,
but having seen them afar off,
and were persuaded of them,
and embraced them,
and confessed that they were strangers
and pilgrims on the earth.'

(Heb 11:13)

'Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims,
abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles:
that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers,
they may by your good works, which they shall behold,
glorify God in the day of visitation.'

(1 Pet. 2:11,12)

Praise God!

No, the Priesthood is Israel's portion, as the nation chosen for this purpose, and they will yet fulfill it.

'Who are Israelites;
to whom pertaineth the adoption,
and the glory,
and the covenants,
and the giving of the law,
and the service of God,
and the promises;
Whose are the fathers,
and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came,
Who is over all,
God blessed for ever.
Amen.'

(Rom 9:4,5)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Praise God!

Praise God!
Amen Chris,
It is one of the Greatest Plans of God for us.
Gone is the need for a man (high priest) forever since Jesus has been made our High Priest Forever.

Now that we are born again into Christ we are now made Priest and Kings.

We now have the Authority (as kings) to use His Word with results for God will Back His Word through us.

We now can come boldly into the thrown room (as priest) anytime we wish.

No more once a year and hoping the high priest of the year would not end up dead once he passed through the curtain.

Amen and Glory to God!!
Blessings Chris
In His Grip
FCJ

Amen Chris,
It is one of the Greatest Plans of God for us.
Gone is the need for a man (high priest) forever since Jesus has been made our High Priest Forever.

Now that we are born again into Christ we are now made Priest and Kings.

We now have the Authority (as kings) to use His Word with results for God will Back His Word through us.

We now can come boldly into the thrown room (as priest) anytime we wish.

No more once a year and hoping the high priest of the year would not end up dead once he passed through the curtain.

Amen and Glory to God!!
Blessings Chris
In His Grip
FCJ

Hello Fish Catcher Jim,

We can indeed come into God's presence bodly, not because we are 'priests', not because we are 'king's, because we are neither: that is the privelage of redeemed Israel; but because we are, in Christ, His children. We come in the spirit of sonship, whereby we call Him, 'Abba' (Father). This, all because the Lord Jesus Christ laid down His life for us, that He may bring 'many sons unto glory' (Heb.2:9,10).

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Greetings Chris,

Our national identity is found in the Person of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He has become our High Priest (Hebrews 3:1-3, 4:14) And as new testament believers (believers born out of the new Covenant) how can you say that this does not apply to us?

Every new testament believer is an engrafted Jew (Romans 2:28-29, 3:29-30, 8:14-17, 9:31-32, 11:17) Scriptures says so. And every born again believer is of the seed of Abraham (Romans 4:12-17, Galatians 3:16-18, 29)
We are all partakers of Christ if we have accepted Him as Savior and Lord (Hebrews 3:14).

We are all kings and priests unto our God... (Revelation 1:5-6, 5:9-10, 21:7)

Its odd to me that given the Scriptures regarding in Christ there is jew nor greek (gentile), slave nor free, male nor female, for we are all one in Christ (Galatians 3:28) and how gentiles and every tribe and nation all fall under that category, being engrafted into the special olive tree that God has. That people still believe that there are parts of the Bible not for us.

Christ coming in the flesh has fulfilled the old covenant and thus there is a new one. He is our great and High Priest, who has earned the right to be there! And has brought together all nationalities to become one.

So to say that there are only special things that are just for the Jews is incorrect (except for the remnant of 144,000 who will be ministering when their time comes according to the book of revelation).

Peter and Paul also preach clearly that God is not a respecter of persons (Acts 10:34, Romans 2:11). God looks upon us all as the same, because of Christ. Even in the beginning (Genesis 1:26-27) God did not create two or three separate nations, just one...and has been His desire that all become one since the beginning. Many passages in John 14-17 about Jesus praying that we all be one.

To many Scriptures in the Bible to ignore God's desire for unity and that not one person on this earth is excluded from the things of God, nor the responsibility of going forth and making disciples, healing and promoting the Kingdom of God. Its all about God and getting as many into His Kingdom as possible. Only the spirit of division desires to make all of the Body of Christ as separate and the things that Christ died to give us not for today.

How many people who are sick and dying or trapped in mental institutions or hospitals or jails and prisons (physical and mental or emotional) could we all be taking the power of the burden removing, yoke destroying anointing to... to set them free from the curse that Jesus was so brutally murdered to set us free from?

The Bible says that all of men's traditions have made the Word of God of none effect (Mark 7:13). The devil has done a great job of deceiving the Body of Christ into allowing him to hold all of these precious people to God (for God views all of His creation as precious, even if they are not serving Him) captive.

To many of the Body of Christ want to keep God's things (ways and blessings) for themselves. Freely we have received, freely we should be giving. And taking the Word of God (every Word) as ours and as truth, instead of finding ways to say its not for today and God just desires for us to live sick, broke and mentally ill. All three of those things make null and void what Christ died for. So why should He have bothered to be put through all the torture, and brutal mutilation of His physical body and sweating drops of blood in the Garden of Gethsemane to agonizingly resist the attack against His emotions (because He was being tempted to follow the flesh instead of God's will for which He came) just so we in this generation could ignore His desires and find reasons and Scriptures to say that we dont have to walk in His exact footsteps.

It's time for us as a Body of Christ to rise up and do what He has commissioned us to do, and stop playing around giving the devil his way on this earth. Yes he is the God of this world, but all authority has been stripped from him (Colossians 2:15) by Jesus Christ and given to us (Matthew 28:18-20) to fulfill His intended purpose.

And to stop picking Scriptures to find reasons be slothful and irresponsible with what Jesus has told us to do, saying it's not our responsibility. How many believers are going to be surprised at how they don't measure up to what God has planned for each one of us when we stand before Him, being judged. Think about standing up to a silhouette cut out of what God had planned for our lives, and seeing how we measure up? All of the emotions and decisions to go against His commandments of love and forgiveness will make us look very out of place. And all those things that we thought we were doing for him will just be burnt up, because way to many Believers in The Body of Christ don't understand or accept as truth, what their responsibility really is.

Blessings in Christ Jesus

Well said!

Hi Chris,

Just thought i would share this verse with everyone, since it shows us that we are to reign as kings in life through Jesus Christ.

For if because of one man's trespass (lapse, offense) death reigned through that one, much more surely will those who receive [God's] overflowing grace (unmerited favor) and the free gift of righteousness [putting them into right standing with Himself] reign as kings in life through the one Man Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
Romans 5:17 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/rom.5.17.AMPC

All this is stated after Paul talks about Jews and gentiles being one together and someone being justified by faith in Christ after our Father in the faith Abraham.

Blessings to you my friend!
Love in Christ
Gina

'And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift:
for the judgment was by one to condemnation,
but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one;
much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness
shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation;
even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.'

(Rom 5:16-18)

Hello Cturtle,

With respect, Romans 5:!7, with it's reference to reigning, ' ... they shall reign in life ... ', has to be kept within it's context. It has nothing to do with reigning as a 'King' as previously spoken of in this thread.

Here in Romans 5 we have the wonderful knowledge, that whereas, 'death reigned' and 'sin reigned', that now, for the believer, 'grace reigns'. That the dominion of sin may be broken, and that those who were once held captive by it may now rise as conquerors and reign. Chapter six is devoted to this subject of 'reigning in life', as are chapters 7 and 8. The subject is approached from all angles.

Praise God!

As far as Jew and Gentile believers being One, yes, of course, 'in Christ', they are. However there were promises made by God to Israel as a nation specifically, and they will be honoured by Him, when they once more are, His People (Zech.13:9). The role of Priest and King is peculiarly theirs. I have given the necessary Scriptures for this in a previous post.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

With respect, Romans 5:!7, with it's reference to reigning, ' ... they shall reign in life ... ', has to be kept within it's context. It has nothing to do with reigning as a 'King' as previously spoken of in this thread.

Greetings Chris,

With all due respect reigning is the equivalent of being a king. One cannot reign without being someone with the power and authority to do so.

In the greek the definition of reigning is....
Original: βασιλεύω

Transliteration: basileuō

Phonetic: bas-il-yoo'-o

Thayer Definition:

1. to be king, to exercise kingly power, to reign
So you see, yes, I did keep it in context. It's the reason why i wrote that I read the chapters before it, and explained briefly what Paul was talking about. One has to remember that each book of the Bible was never originally written in chapter or verse. It was all one letter.

Even as I read in the youngs literal translation... many times kingdom is translated as reign, what one does in a kingdom.
When the Holy Spirit brings light to something and makes it stand out to me, I tend to listen and believe it, and then share what He has shown me.

I apologize that I cannot agree with your response, but this in no way has to keep you from your belief.

Blessings to you

Here in Romans 5 we have the wonderful knowledge, that whereas, 'death reigned' and 'sin reigned', that now, for the believer, 'grace reigns'.

For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Pretty clear to me here.
You Accept Christ you receive an abundance of Grace and the Gift of Righteousness. .... these are who Can Reign in Life Through Christ Jesus.

Without Christ you have no Grace or Righteousness and death via the curse reigns over you.

John 10:10 fits together.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Blessings
FCJ

For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of

If you think (meditate upon God's Word) about it.... (by reading many different passages in Romans and Galatians) this is one of the major points of God's desiring to make Jesus a propitiation for our sins. It's all done by grace so that no man can boast that they themselves have done it alone. It all leads back to dependance upon God for everything. Which is where we all should be :)

Blessing

'Ye also, as lively stones,
are built up a spiritual house,
an holy priesthood,
to offer up spiritual sacrifices,
acceptable to God
by Jesus Christ.'
(1 Pet. 2:5)

'But ye are a chosen generation,
a royal priesthood,
an holy nation,
a peculiar people;
(1Pet.2:9)

Question:
Do you believe that these references to a holy priesthood applies to you and I?
If so, will you explain why you believe so.
Fish Catcher Jim
Cturtle

Cturtle raised Romans 5:17 as a proof text, for what she believes regarding believers in general being 'Kings and Priests' (1 Peter 2:5), and I responded to it, but it is has no bearing on the subject of the thread itself, so I see no purpose in continuing to discuss it.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Hello there,
  • Do you believe that this reference to a holy priesthood applies to you and I?
  • If so, will you explain why you believe so.

Cturtle raised Romans 5:17 as a proof text, for what she believes concerning believers in general being 'Kings and Priests', and I responded to it, but it is not the subject of the thread, and has no bearing on it.

Chris,
As you can see by your first post that it is the subject of the thread.

As you told me in a reply here
You began the thread by inquiring concerning the word in question, so it must mean something to you too. If you ask a question then you must expect responses, some to your liking and others not. :)

Chris
Please understand that not every one is going to agree with you.
This does not make them wrong.

So please don't accuse some one of not presenting truth found in God's Word as it having no bearing in the thread, because you don't agree with it.

Have a wonderful day
Blessings
FCJ

an holy priesthood,
acceptable to God
by Jesus Christ.'

Hello there,

Do you believe that this reference to a holy priesthood applies to you and I?

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi there,

I believed that this verse applies to you and me. We can understand this fully when we read Exodus and Leviticus. priesthood was ordained by God for the sole purpose of ministering before God and to the people. It is Gods desire for you and me to become part of the priesthood one that will minister to God closely, not like the Israelite of old that needs a priest for them to minister before God. Ministering before God alludes intimacy, a close relationship with God which we see in Genesis, where God was in close relationship with man, through Adam, but separated because of sin. God wants to bring back that relationship. If so why through priesthood? In Exodus and Leviticus, priest had a series of requirements before ministering to God, and to sum up all those requirements in one word that is "consecration" thus, reveals that God wants us to have a close intimacy with Him, to minister before Him,as mentioned in Revelation, we are created for His pleasure, but we need consecration in our lives in every areas.

I hope this may help you and has brought enlightenment to this subject. Godbless you

an holy priesthood,
acceptable to God
by Jesus Christ.'

'But ye are a chosen generation,
a royal priesthood,
an holy nation,
a peculiar people;

(1Pet.2:9)

Question:
Do you believe that these references to a holy priesthood applies to you and I?
--------------------------------------------------

[B]Fish Catcher Jim[/B]
[B]Cturtle[/B]

Thank you both for your responses.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Complete,

It`s been a while but I`ve had a major op & am recovering. I would like to comment on this topic.

Now we notice that Peter says `royal priesthood.` Israel NEVER had `royal priests,` they were a separate office - king, (royal) & a priest.

Then when we look at the Body of Christ we see that the Lord who Himself is a kingpriest, (holds the 2 offices) is making us like unto Himself - kings & priest, kingpriests.

`...Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the first born from the dead, and ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us KINGS AND PRIESTS to His God and father, to Him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.` (Rev. 1: 5 & 6)

regards, Marilyn.

Greetings Chris,

Our national identity is found in the Person of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He has become our High Priest (Hebrews 3:1-3, 4:14) And as new testament believers (believers born out of the new Covenant) how can you say that this does not apply to us?

Every new testament believer is an engrafted Jew (Romans 2:28-29, 3:29-30, 8:14-17, 9:31-32, 11:17) Scriptures says so. And every born again believer is of the seed of Abraham (Romans 4:12-17, Galatians 3:16-18, 29)

Hi Cturtle,

Actually God`s word does NOT say we are `engrafted Jews.` In Romans ch. 11 we read that we, the Body of Christ is grafted into the HOLY ROOT. (Rom. 11: 16) That is the Lord Himself. The Jews were NEVER a `holy Root.` That has been an error that has been taught. We receive nourishment, (partaker of the root), from Christ & not the Jews.(Rom. 11: 17)

Hope that helps.

regards, Marilyn

Hi Cturtle,

Actually God`s word does NOT say we are `engrafted Jews.` In Romans ch. 11 we read that we, the Body of Christ is grafted into the HOLY ROOT. (Rom. 11: 16) That is the Lord Himself. The Jews were NEVER a `holy Root.` That has been an error that has been taught. We receive nourishment, (partaker of the root), from Christ & not the Jews.(Rom. 11: 17)

Hope that helps.

regards, Marilyn

Blessings,
Being engrafted With the Jews is being Grafted into the root not as wild branches (gentile) but become a Natural part of the tree which is made up of natural branches or Jews, so hence we become engrafted Jews as well.

Now then none of that really matters because we see in Galatian 3:28

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Now as being Grafted in as the natural Jews we can say we are engrafted Jews and this does not say in any way that the Jews were the root. This does not consider the Jews a Holy Root.

It does say they were a natural Branch and we were once a wild branch but when we get grafted in we are no longer a wild branch but have become as the natural branch and we (all branches get life from the root together)

Blessings
FCJ

OJB
If the terumah haissa (portion, offering of the dough) that is reshit (first) is kodesh (holy), so is the whole; and if the shoresh (root) is kodesh (holy), so also are the ana’fim (the branches).

17 But if some of the ana’fim have been broken off, and you, a wild olive, have been grafted among them and have become sharer in the richness of the olive tree’s root,

18 Do not boast (4:2) over the ana’fim. If you do boast, it is not the case that you sustain the shoresh, but the shoresh sustains you.

19 You will say, then, "Anafim were broken off in order that I might be grafted in."

20 Quite so: they were broken off on the mekor (basis) of no emunah, but you stand only by emunah. Do not cherish proud thoughts, but fear.

21 For if G-d did not spare the natural anafim, neither will He spare you.

HCSB
Now if the firstfruits offered up are holy, so is the whole batch. And if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 Now if some of the branches were broken off, and you, though a wild olive branch, were grafted in among them and have come to share in the rich root of the cultivated olive tree,
18 do not brag that you are better than those branches. But if you do brag—you do not sustain the root, but the root sustains you
19 Then you will say, Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.”
20 True enough; they were broken off by unbelief, but you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid.
21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you either. 22 Therefore, consider God’s kindness and severity: severity toward those who have fallen but God’s kindness toward you—if you remain in His kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off
23 And even they, if they do not remain in unbelief, will be grafted in, because God has the power to graft them in again.
24 For if you were cut off from your native wild olive and against nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these—the natural branches—be grafted into their own olive tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back