A Little Foolishness

Ecclesiastes 10:1 (NASB)
"Dead flies turn a perfumer’s oil rancid, so a little foolishness is more potent than wisdom and honor."

Ecclesiastes 10:1 (KJV)
"Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour."

I can be known for my wisdom and regarded as honorable but a little folly blended in just makes me stink. In fact, I can attest to the truthfulness of this verse because not too long ago this was me. Instead of a healing ointment being healing I let flies hang out in it and just smeared it wherever I perceived it needed to be applied to others. So, what do you think people thought about my "comforting wisdom".

Anyway, what does this passage mean to you?

***Please keep in mind the rules of the forum and that we not target any person but speak to what you see in this verse, please.
If you must target someone it should be me because I was this example; perhaps still am.

It takes very little to destroy a good reputation in this world. This is primarily what it is talking about. The world tends to forget quickly the things done in the past, but the foolish things done today even though small can take on great significance.

cp

Back