A little taste of Germany a couple of Hours from Home

What are pig knuckles?

This is pig knuckles

4a3f2f8957c8a57c6a79857f3acd7d17.jpg

Having lived in Germany when I was young. I have dreamed of going back again. My wife and I visited Germany around 2000. It difficult for us to get back there these days, but we have a local spot we visit from time to time that reacquaints us with some of the German foods and traditions.

Leavenworth_Washington.jpg

This is downtown Leavenworth near the Cascade Mountains in Eastern Washington. The town has been built to look like a small German town. When we visit we also like to go to a u-pick farm near Wenatchee They have several varieties of Asian fruit, pears, grapes, apricots, peaches, etc. Not all at one time of course. We like to pick a box or two to take home.

cp
I was stationed for 10 years total in Germany during the '70s and '80s. I lived in Aschaffenburg, Schweinfurt, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, and Ansbach. I was dragged back kicking and screaming in 1991 to be sent to upstate New York, after which I retired. I miss Germany, but there is a little town about 4 hours from Chattanooga named Helen, Georgia. This town has been built to resemble a Bavarian village and contains some fine German restaurants with cuisine that transports me back to southern Germany if only for the brief period of a meal.

I was stationed for 10 years total in Germany during the '70s and '80s. I lived in Aschaffenburg, Schweinfurt, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, and Ansbach. I was dragged back kicking and screaming in 1991 to be sent to upstate New York, after which I retired. I miss Germany, but there is a little town about 4 hours from Chattanooga named Helen, Georgia. This town has been built to resemble a Bavarian village and contains some fine German restaurants with cuisine that transports me back to southern Germany if only for the brief period of a meal.

Hello BibleLover;

Thank you for sharing. We were stationed from 1965 - 1967. The towns you lived in, Aschaffenburg, Schweinfurt, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, and Ansbach may have been some of the towns my family visited when my Dad had time off. We drove alot around Germany and Europe.

I'll eat up all off it and goes for seconds - now, that's old school good homemade good filling food
*drools*

Originally I was there in Heitersheim between 63-66 when dad was stationed at the Air force base near Frankfurt. I still have memories of the time though I was young at the time.

I was stationed there from 2003 to 2007 (although deployed from there in '05-'06 to Afghanistan). I was stationed at Coleman Barracks in Mannheim (Saarbrucken to be exact). I ran missions from there to Frankfurt and all over Germany and Belgium. I wasn't mature enough to enjoy it for all the splendor but I did some tourist stuff in Heidelberg, Paris, and Luxembourg. I went to Patton's grave, Heidelberg castle, Le Louvre, Eiffel Tower, etc. I wish I had done more sight seeing.
I was stationed in Mannheim, also Coleman Barracks, but lived in PHV in Heidelberg (1985 - 1987). Then migrated to Ansbach, Gerany.

I lived in Germany for almost 15 years. In fact, two of my kids were born there. I lived in Heidelberg, Mannheim, Ansbach, Stuttgart, and Nurnberg. Have not been back since 1995.

Here in Miami, FL, there use to be one German restaurant that looked authentic. It closed down a while ago and we have not found anything close enough to want to go.

rtm
Oh, my goodness! I lived in Sonthofen when I was two, Stuttgart when I was three, Frankfurt age 4, and Heidelberg for 5
I was in Germany during the most interesting of times; 1980 - 1995. I was there when the wall came down and was on the security team when the US turned over control of Berlin back to Germany. I was also here when terrorists attached the NATO Commander in Heidelberg and US Forces were basically the targets of numerous terrorist attacks throughout the country. It was routine that, before getting in your car in the morning, you had to inspect it to make sure no one placed a IEA in the underneath.

months in 1964! I have 2 brothers living in Miami (way too hot for too long for me).
We were stationed at Rhein Main Air Force Base, close to Frankfurt when I was a young boy. My brother was born in Wiesbaden.

The photos remind me of the cities that surrounded the base.
My brother was born in Stuttgart. Christa Reiter taught me to pray when we lived in Frankfurt. 🙏 I was only four. :)

I was in Germany during the most interesting of times; 1980 - 1995. I was there when the wall came down and was on the security team when the US turned over control of Berlin back to Germany. I was also here when terrorists attached the NATO Commander in Heidelberg and US Forces were basically the targets of numerous terrorist attacks throughout the country. It was routine that, before getting in your car in the morning, you had to inspect it to make sure no one placed a IEA in the underneath.
I remember the terrorist attacks of the early '80s. I used to use scotch tape to cover the cracks of the doors, engine hood, and trunk of my car. When I went to my car in the mornings, I looked under my car for IEDs and walked around the car to see if any of the scotch tape had been lifted or disturbed.

I remember the terrorist attacks of the early '80s. I used to use scotch tape to cover the cracks of the doors, engine hood, and trunk of my car. When I went to my car in the mornings, I looked under my car for IEDs and walked around the car to see if any of the scotch tape had been lifted or disturbed.
That had to stressful! God bless! I've been watching the news and I woke up from a HORRIBLE nightmare today. I've never been in the military nor watched horror movies! Too much news I guess.

yes there are dangers of watching too much news
Not good for you
I suggest stop watching it so much but seems to fall on deaf ears here lol

Hello BibleLover;

Thank you for sharing. We were stationed from 1965 - 1967. The towns you lived in, Aschaffenburg, Schweinfurt, Stuttgart, Kaiserslautern, and Ansbach may have been some of the towns my family visited when my Dad had time off. We drove alot around Germany and Europe.
My dad took my stepmother and me to Italy for a week. It was really awesome! For one thing I'm a pasta lover! PASTA! What a great invention!

Back