A Parenting Question - Do We Believe In The Saying "the Terrible Two's"

Good evening and I hope this message finds you well. This is a little message for the Christian Dad's and Mum's out there to consider and maybe give me some of your thoughts about this subject. Now, this is a well known saying in Scotland and as far as I'm aware, many on this forum are from the US so if you've never heard it, it's basically a saying of a season in a young child's life where they push the boundaries and see how far they can take certain things with their parents. I've had many parents say it, "oh no the terrible two's" however my question is, should we take this to be just normal and correct for any child or worldly, in that it has no place in the Christian family.

A little background. My wife and I are associate overseers in our local church and have been for quite some time however, we've taken a more relaxed role in the past couple of years due to God fulfilling his 9 year promise to give us children...glory be to you Jesus....We've had a lot of experience with the youth work which we loved and believe it or not, we have a 19 year old (who is currently on his Christian Gap Year in the States) but that stage of life was quite some time ago for us now. Now it's all fresh again and Emily and David are just amazing and I'm not just saying that, Emily was born first in January 2012 and when I saw her for the first time, she just broke me, so much so that I had an instant bond with her and we've been "Daddy and Emily" ever since.

There we thought God was finished however, I woke up one morning to my wife crouching at the end of the bed with a smile and tears running down her face and she said, "I'm pregnant again". I couldn't believe it and all I said was "you're joking" but it was true and later, May 2013, we had baby David. I thought Emily was a good kid but David is also just a little cracker, I've never been around a child that makes you feel so peaceful before, he smiles and looks at you with such a loving face and we just love him to bits.

It's been quite a road for us and lately, we've been easing back into our role in our local church, I've been up preaching and ministering and boy, it's good to be back, it's been bitter sweet and I've missed the front-lines a great deal so over the next few months hopefully, we'll get back into our routine. It has taught us or more reinforced our beliefs of just how important our children and our family's are in the eyes of the Lord. As and Overseer in the Body of Christ, one of my favorite verses is "if a man can't take care of the things of his own home, how can he take care of the things of the church of God" (1st Timothy 3), in other words, if you can't love your wife and children, if you can't put their needs both spiritually and emotionally before your own, then how are you going to with 20, 30 or 50 people?

It's a verse which has held both Sharon and well on a good and healthy path in the Lord but, we all too often need advice and viewpoints too so, back to my question, is this "terrible two's" saying something that's just a fact of life, or is it something we as Christians should really just dismiss? Your comments would be much appreciated, please can ask that you be respectful concerning the subject of my family however I'm sure we'll receive some great messages. God bless and thanks in advance....

Attachments

• Mulbuies.JPG
    Mulbuies.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1
It's a verse which has held both Sharon and well on a good and healthy path in the Lord but, we all too often need advice and viewpoints too so, back to my question, is this "terrible two's" saying something that's just a fact of life, or is it something we as Christians should really just dismiss? Your comments would be much appreciated, please can ask that you be respectful concerning the subject of my family however I'm sure we'll receive some great messages. God bless and thanks in advance....

Let me give you a simple rule to follow.

You may not understand a spiritual Law God has set fourth running through earth and space as it is written God upholds all things by the Word of His power.

Not understanding something though is fine as long as you don't violate your conscience. It's your conscience that the Holy Spirit deals with.

Asking if it's OK to use the expression "terrible two's" is questioning if something is right or wrong. To question something means you don't have peace about it and the Wisdom from above is peaceable. (James 3:17)

Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

If I have to ask if something is OK, then that is not faith. Anything that is not faith is sin for me.

You answered your own question. God expects us not to violate our conscience and lots of scriptures about the conscience.
By doing so, things go well for you and you don't do dumb things like give the devil a place.

However, if you want the revelation of it............................. Saying it's a fact of life is a Lie from hell.

The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.
(Psa 138:8)

You could just as easy side with the Lord concerning your children saying. God will perfect those things that concern me.

Isa 54:13
And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

Your children will have a terrible time at Two, or you can choose to side with what God said.

Mar 11:23
For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

You will have whatever you say over your child, and why this is on your conscience because God is trying to help you not give the devil a place over your offspring. I suggest you side with God, not the world.

You will have exactly as you have said it, not my Words, but the Head of the Church's Words.

Blessing.

Having three kids of my own, all late teens now, I have to say, remember they are people too. They have good days and bad days. Routine is key to peace for them. The "Terrible Twos" come about due to two events around the age of two: imagination starts (pray against night terrors and sleep walking) and painful teeth come in (the side teeth) causing a constant pain because they have to chew on them. By three, their personalities are formed. Read the word of God to them every morning and evening. Teach them to read. Because of my wife's excellent teaching all my kids went to kindergarten already knowing how to read. Lastly, lay down the law of what is acceptable. Once you can communicate with them why something is wrong discipline became a time-out in the corner or sitting in a chair for a period of time. Just my two cents.

Having three kids of my own, all late teens now, I have to say, remember they are people too. They have good days and bad days. Routine is key to peace for them. The "Terrible Twos" come about due to two events around the age of two: imagination starts (pray against night terrors and sleep walking) and painful teeth come in (the side teeth) causing a constant pain because they have to chew on them. By three, their personalities are formed. Read the word of God to them every morning and evening. Teach them to read. Because of my wife's excellent teaching all my kids went to kindergarten already knowing how to read. Lastly, lay down the law of what is acceptable. Once you can communicate with them why something is wrong discipline became a time-out in the corner or sitting in a chair for a period of time. Just my two cents.

Hello Andicate, apologies for the delay in our reply (Scotland time difference). Your "two cents" are very much appreciated and thank you for giving such a full, balanced and wise answer to my question. Imagination and the teeth pushing makes a lot of sense, my wife Sharon mentioned your reply briefly as I was heading out to work this morning which left me thinking over the day. "Night terrors and sleep walking" - I'm sure it's not by chance you mentioned this, as I was praying and slowly falling asleep last-night, Emily gave out a cry which seemed a little sharp and odd for her and since you've mentioned this, I feel God has impressed some good wisdom through you in our direction. It's obviously very timely as well as very encouraging so thanks so much for your kind reply.....blessings

Let me give you a simple rule to follow.

You may not understand a spiritual Law God has set fourth running through earth and space as it is written God upholds all things by the Word of His power.

Not understanding something though is fine as long as you don't violate your conscience. It's your conscience that the Holy Spirit deals with.

Asking if it's OK to use the expression "terrible two's" is questioning if something is right or wrong. To question something means you don't have peace about it and the Wisdom from above is peaceable. (James 3:17)

Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

If I have to ask if something is OK, then that is not faith. Anything that is not faith is sin for me.

You answered your own question. God expects us not to violate our conscience and lots of scriptures about the conscience.
By doing so, things go well for you and you don't do dumb things like give the devil a place.

However, if you want the revelation of it............................. Saying it's a fact of life is a Lie from hell.

The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.
(Psa 138:8)

You could just as easy side with the Lord concerning your children saying. God will perfect those things that concern me.
Isa 54:13 And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.

Your children will have a terrible time at Two, or you can choose to side with what God said.
Mar 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

You will have whatever you say over your child, and why this is on your conscience because God is trying to help you not give the devil a place over your offspring. I suggest you side with God, not the world.

You will have exactly as you have said it, not my Words, but the Head of the Church's Words.

Blessing.

Hello Michael and thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated...

Hello Michael and thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated...

Our kids confess at our church that they are Sharp, bright, smart, Good looking, extremely wealthy and a major blessing.

With Long life God will satisfy your children, they shall be taught of the Lord and never will depart from it. Your kids are blessed and well behaved, they respect their parents, easy to deal with, full of understanding and God gives them wisdom and help.

I only have spoken that over my own daughter and she is now 6. My other two boys, I was clueless, so.............. but My daughter even if she messes up or acts out I only speak the Word over her and do the corrections. I never say a negative thing, would never tell her she is terrible (like terrible twos)

As a persons thinks in their heart, so are they. I want kids to think and see themselves as God see's them.

That won't keep you from having to discipline, but The power of the spoken word is effective and strong to encourage your child from the day they are born.

Be blessed sir.

Our kids confess at our church that they are Sharp, bright, smart, Good looking, extremely wealthy and a major blessing.

With Long life God will satisfy your children, they shall be taught of the Lord and never will depart from it. Your kids are blessed and well behaved, they respect their parents, easy to deal with, full of understanding and God gives them wisdom and help.

I only have spoken that over my own daughter and she is now 6. My other two boys, I was clueless, so.............. but My daughter even if she messes up or acts out I only speak the Word over her and do the corrections. I never say a negative thing, would never tell her she is terrible (like terrible twos)

As a persons thinks in their heart, so are they. I want kids to think and see themselves as God see's them.

That won't keep you from having to discipline, but The power of the spoken word is effective and strong to encourage your child from the day they are born.

Be blessed sir.

Thanks Michael, I'm appreciating the comments and you're absolutely right, speaking those kind of negative words over our children does what it says, it negatively affects them, God's Word and prayer can only build them and make them strong. We have to be careful, even when we aren't addressing Emily because she is so sharp and picks up on everything! Even if we're talking about something quite innocent but adult, you can see her studying us so boy oh boy we need to be careful. She is just great though, just want the ABSOLUTE best for my wee girl. Thanks for your time....

Hello Andicate, apologies for the delay in our reply (Scotland time difference). Your "two cents" are very much appreciated and thank you for giving such a full, balanced and wise answer to my question. Imagination and the teeth pushing makes a lot of sense, my wife Sharon mentioned your reply briefly as I was heading out to work this morning which left me thinking over the day. "Night terrors and sleep walking" - I'm sure it's not by chance you mentioned this, as I was praying and slowly falling asleep last-night, Emily gave out a cry which seemed a little sharp and odd for her and since you've mentioned this, I feel God has impressed some good wisdom through you in our direction. It's obviously very timely as well as very encouraging so thanks so much for your kind reply.....blessings

I'm very glad to be used by the Lord. They are your children and as such as subject to attacks by the devil. Pray will protect them :) I'm currently in Belgium but I move every three years for work to different countries. This is #46 for me 7th to live in. We were in London just this past weekend checking it out. Had a 36 pound tea time - just for the experience ... wow! Expensive :)

Back