a phrase often heard

Christ has the keys to death hell and the grave.. while it is true he does in fact he has all power.. but the sentence keys to death hell and the grave is not scripture. so why do we hear this?

but the sentence keys to death hell and the grave is not scripture. so why do we hear this?
Dear forgiven61
This is a good question.

I remember recently seeing something in Major’s Revelation teachings and thought perhaps this idea of Christ having the keys to Hell and the grave could spring from Revelation.

Revelation 1:17-18 NAS
17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last,
18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.

Others may have better ideas.
God be with you.

Hades meant the dwelling place of the dead. Is this not the graves? If so, I am thinking that Revelation 1:18 means Jesus has the keys to death and the grave. The Lord calls to dead and raises them to life. Thereby he has freed them from death and also ftom the grave. It has been unlocked by Jesus.

the keys represents authority /power this question was asked in Bible study why it is said in one sentence . when its not Bible as per the grave it has No victory over us. 1 cor 15:55 and death has no sting. when we place our loved ones in the grave . we call it the final resting place . only for the physical Body which returns back to the earth.

i went to a reliable source i often use found this
Jesus told John that He possesses the keys of Death and Hades. Death and the place of the departed dead are under the control of the risen Savior. The Christian need not fear death or Hades, because death ushers him or her into Jesus' presence in heaven (1 Corinthians 15:51–57; 2 Corinthians 5:1–8; Philippians 1:21–23). Because Jesus possesses the keys to Death and Hades, He can open death's door at any time to allow a believer to enter heaven, and He can open and shut the gates of hell to confine unbelievers there forever.

we are all pretty much correct.. but to figure out why it is used death hell and the grave is the 64 thousand dollar question

Dear forgiven61
This is a good question.

I remember recently seeing something in Major’s Revelation teachings and thought perhaps this idea of Christ having the keys to Hell and the grave could spring from Revelation.

Revelation 1:17-18 NAS
17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last,
18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.

Others may have better ideas.
God be with you.
Hades, Sheol, Hell, Grave and death are all the same thing. The Greek and Hebrew words speak of the same place, the present Hell, a place where the unsaved spirits are located.

F61 is correct in that The only one who has control and the authority over those there, is the Lord Jesus Christ. "KEYS" = authority.

Hades, Sheol, Hell, Grave and death are all the same thing. The Greek and Hebrew words speak of the same place, the present Hell, a place where the unsaved spirits are located.

F61 is correct in that The only one who has control and the authority over those there, is the Lord Jesus Christ. "KEYS" = authority.
sooo once again the question was asked last night as to why use the phrase death, hell and the grave is used in a sentence while it does hold truth. its not in scripture

sooo once again the question was asked last night as to why use the phrase death, hell and the grave is used in a sentence while it does hold truth. its not in scripture

I do not know my friend. My 1st thought is that it is like many other things. We (People) add to the Word of God so as to make it more acceptable in our understanding.

Many things are said by men that are claimed to be in the Bible but are not. But when repeated enough, we tend to take them as truth when they are not.

Some examples are..........."God wont give you more than you can handle"!
That is not in the Bible but we have all heard it said over and over.

Here is one we all know........"God helps those who help themselves".
That also is not in the Bible. The truth is, the Bible teaches the opposite. God helps the helpless.

When we were growing up, how many times did we hear, the Bible says that "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"?????
That phrase does not exist in the Bible. It is an archaic proverb found in the Babylonian Talmud.

And havent we all heard it said at a funeral that ....."God need another angel in heaven".
Again.......that is nowhere in the Bible.

Just examples of things we say innocently without malaise just because we have heard them said and they sound good.

I do not know my friend. My 1st thought is that it is like many other things. We (People) add to the Word of God so as to make it more acceptable in our understanding.

Many things are said by men that are claimed to be in the Bible but are not. But when repeated enough, we tend to take them as truth when they are not.

Some examples are..........."God wont give you more than you can handle"!
That is not in the Bible but we have all heard it said over and over.

Here is one we all know........"God helps those who help themselves".
That also is not in the Bible. The truth is, the Bible teaches the opposite. God helps the helpless.

When we were growing up, how many times did we hear, the Bible says that "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"?????
That phrase does not exist in the Bible. It is an archaic proverb found in the Babylonian Talmud.

And havent we all heard it said at a funeral that ....."God need another angel in heaven".
Again.......that is nowhere in the Bible.

Just examples of things we say innocently without malaise just because we have heard them said and they sound good.

i agree and yes i have heard some of this.. the words (innocently without malaise) sums it up and i will take this back to the study study friday night maybe even sunday morning .on a side night everyone who is in the funeral home goes to heaven !!!! amazing how that works

i agree and yes i have heard some of this.. the words (innocently without malaise) sums it up and i will take this back to the study study friday night maybe even sunday morning .on a side night everyone who is in the funeral home goes to heaven !!!! amazing how that works

Agreed! Kind of like......All church members go to heaven! :)

1/ Tartarus is only used once in the new testament in 2Peter.2:4 "God spared not the angles that sinned, but cast them down to [Tartarus] hell & delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment” Tartarus means dark abyss or place of restrain. It isn’t a place of punishment eternal punishment either. If you care to look carefully the Angles are reserved unto judgment, which means punishment is yet future when judgment takes place. this is where the catholic purgatory comes from? this is strictly a doctrine straight from Roman Catholicism, which has not been purged out of all the churches.

2/ Gehenna All authorities admit this word is derived from the name of the narrow rocky valley of Hinnom just south of Jerusalem where trash,filth & the bodies of dead animals were burned up in bible days. Jesus speaks of Gehenna many times Matt 5:22He warned about the danger of {Gehenna] hell fire. Gehenna defiantly suggests real flames. But the key question is when? In Matthew 13:40-42 In His explanation to His disciples about His parable concerning plants, reapers & a harvest, Jesus provides a definite answer, “The harvest is the end of the world, & the reapers are the angels, As therefore the weeds are gathered & burned in the fires shall it be at the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth His angles, & they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, & them that do iniquity, & shall cast them into a furnace of fire & there shall be wailing & gnashing of teeth.
When? Christs direct answer was at the end of this world.
Peter
taught the same thing 2 Peter 3:7 but the heavens & the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment & perdition of the ungodly men. Three verses later, Peter elaborates further about judgment day. Also in the book of Revelation 20:13 Teaches the same message of a coming judgment day. There is a day of judgment in the future to take place.
Gehenna is used many times in the new testament, such as Matt 5:22,29 & 30 and refers to a place of fire, brimstone,& punishment. But we clearly see from Jesus that this punishment is reserved for the time of the end, at the harvest.

3/ Hades
This Greek word is also translated “Hell” in many English bibles, Rev 6:8. Rev 20:14 yet some leave in the word Hades such as the NIV.
Here is a key point in Rev 20:14. “Hades”=( Hell) is eventually cast into the lake of fire”. Thus Hell itself is cast into "the lake of fire”????
Some Bible versions have marginal references besides the word (Hades) “Hell” listed in Rev 20:13,14 saying it means grave.
Revelation 20:14. Could therefore properly say those Death & the grave were cast into the lake of fire.
To make it simple, biblical speaking, Hades means grave.1Cor 15:55 “O death where is your sting? o grave where is your victory?” If you look at any Strong’s concordance , you’ll discover that the original Greek word here translated “grave" is “Hades”. By looking at the context,*** its obvious that “Hades means “the grave” because it is God’s saint's that rise out of “Hades” when Jesus returns 1Cor 15:51-55.
Further proof Hades means grave is the fact “Hades was the place Jesus was placed to rest immediately after His death. In Acts 2;31 His soul was not left in Hell “Hades" neither did His flesh see corruption. NIV translates correctly.
Summarising the three Greek words translated as HELL
Tartarus means, “a place of darkness or restraint (2 Peter 2”4)
Hades means, Grave Acts 2:31; 1 Corinthians 15:55; Revelation 20:14
Gehenna means, a place of fire & brimstone & punishment. Matthew 5:22,29,30. Described in Matthew 13:40-42, Peter 3:7, 10-12. these flames are yet future, at the end of this world.

Back