A RETURN TO BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY

Subject: A Return to Biblical Christianity

Hello @Major,

Forgive me, but what (in your estimation) constitutes, 'Biblical Christianity?'

* The foundation is standard, isn't it?
Salvation by grace, through faith in the all sufficient sacrifice of God's own Beloved son, our Saviour, now risen and glorified, and sat at God's right hand.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Excellent question and thank you for asking Chris. Please forgive the length of my response. I did not intend to go this long but could not seem to find a place to stop.

The foundation should be standard but it does not seem to be to me. Remember, this is my "opinion" and nothing more.

When I say that we need to return to Biblical Christianity I am speaking about the fact that it is then required to approach the Bible. When we do that we must be very careful to do it with a submissive heart and a teachable spirit. Then we must be eager and willing to have OUR thinking changed so that we correspond to God's will and Word.

One of the dangers that I have seen over the years is the practice of using the Bible to justify what we think. IMO one should never ever look for a verse here or there to justify our own opinons.

Then we must take care not to fall into "Modernism".

The latest theories in Christianity are self centered and come more from psychology, sociology or positive motivational training than from the Word of God.

To ME the first thing to understand is we are to return to Biblical Christianity is the simple Bible fact found in Hebrews 1:1-2.......
"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds".

That is an awesome claim!!!! It is also a true and factual claim and since it is we should tremble at the Word of God.
When the Word of God is read, the hair on the back of our necks should stand straight out!!!
But from where I sit, that kind of respect and reverence is a thing of the past.

When I watch religious TV I come away with the feeling that these people have an 800 number to God. There is always a "God has just spoken to me" or ......."God just told me"........or thank you "Lord for that word just now".
They come away looking like entertainers.

Our Biblical forefathers did not have that kind of relationship with God. Moses could not even look upon God. He had to take off his shoes because of his respect for God.

Isaiah said "Woe is me"!! That means in Hebrew.........."I AM DEAD".

Ezekiel fell upon his face and could not speak.

Daniel passed out and fell face foreward in the ground.

In the Revelation, John initial reaction was fear because he was overcome by the glory of God.

Martin Luther said that preaching made his knees knock. Spurgeon said that he trembled for fear that he would misinterpret the Word of God. IMO and it is only MY opinion, that sense of awe has been replaced with psychological babble. Today's preaching and teaching is all about making us feel better about our selves and improving our self esteem.

Example. Dr. Robert Schuler of the Crystal Cathedral in his book "Self- Esteem the New Reformation(Word:1982)" said..........
"Man goes to hell because of his low self esteem".

Really???? My Bible says that men go to hell because they refuse to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour!!!!

If we dig deeper we can easily find that Dr. Schuller's mentor and teacher was Norman Vincent Peale. The world's foremost advocate on positive thinking. A really great man and Christian.......RIGHT??? Now I post these words in line with the CFS guidelines whereby the comments are proven by their own words as found on line and in books produced by the people in view.

In his book....."The book, A Course in Miracles" has been taught at Robert Schuller's Crystal Cathedral and is right in line with Schuller's philosophy. This is a book which is admittedly from a disembodied voice dictating its contents, who claimed to be Jesus Christ. Its purpose was to correct the errors in the Bible. The Course teaches that "forgiveness" is simply recognizing that sin does not exist and therefore there is nothing to forgive. To accept the Courses teachings is to reject all Biblical doctrine, yet those who embrace it are able to call themselves Christians.

In that book ..."In Self-Esteem" Dr. Schuler's son attributes Norman Vincent Peale, as "responsible for dad's theology on possibility thinking."

On Mr. Peals death on 1/16/94 Dr. Schuller told how Peale had been his inspiration and mentor and the man who had the greatest influence upon his theology and ministry. He attributed to Peale as starting the positive thinking movement.

But here is the kicker which can be found really easy on the internet, and that is Norman Vincent Peale is known to be a 33rd degree Mason who also rejected the Christian doctrines of justification by faith alone, of sin, the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ. You see Chris, that speaks to your question of............."The foundation is standard, isn't it?"
Is it ????

Mr. Peale has said ... "Your unconscious -mind... [has a] power that turns wishes into realities when the wishes are strong enough."'( Norman V. Peale Positive Imaging p.77). Positive thinking is just another term for faith. ( Norman Vincent Peale, What Does It Take to Be a Christian.)

That is what I mean by saying that IMO we need desperately to return to "Biblical Christianity"!!!

Thanks again for asking and giving me the opportunity to speak with you.

@Fish Catcher Jim and @Major why do you guys keep going at each other? You both are strong willed and refuse to let the other have the last word. I don't want either of you to get points or banned so I strongly advise you put the other on ignore because you two will never see eye to eye on anything I'm afraid another mod will take serious actions against one or both of you as you both are A type men.

@Fish Catcher Jim and @Major why do you guys keep going at each other? You both are strong willed and refuse to let the other have the last word. I don't want either of you to get points or banned so I strongly advise you put the other on ignore because you two will never see eye to eye on anything I'm afraid another mod will take serious actions against one or both of you as you both are A type men.

I here you brother, and I agree with you and I have no clue except what you have just said. I would however ask that you read my words in comment #18. Please let me know if there is a nicer more Christian way to say it........................

"I enjoy speaking with Jim. You are sincere in what you believe to a fault. But when we speak about this issue of the eradication of the sin nature it seems past history shows that it is only YOU and Me which post comments on it. Now you are not going to change what I believe the Bible says and I am not going to change what you think is the truth. I submit to you that we move on to something else and leave this subject as it is..............In Disagreement just as we have on tongues and prosperity.

Why is it others tend to think major and I are doing anything wrong or have attitudes towards each other. It is a sad day when two brothers can not post to each other. No harsh words or tempers flare but still it seems you think so.

For give me and moving on.

Staff Announcement
The use of capital words is now not allowed as part of the rules, please refrain from doing this.
This thread is being watched for rule violations by ALL members, keep them in mind when posting.

Staff Announcement
The use of capital words is now not allowed as part of the rules, please refrain from doing this.
This thread is being watched for rule violations by ALL members, keep them in mind when posting.
Brother Fish is this warning for those who totally write in caps or is it geared towards making a word or two or three caps as to say attention....see this....?
Just wondering so I do nt make any mistakes... Was confusing with your all caps of the word all as to get evey ones attion on the word all...........Just want to be on the same page. thanks

Blessings

of the dangers that I have seen over the years is the practice of using the Bible to justify what we think. IMO one should never ever look for a verse here or there to justify our own opinons.

Then we must take care not to fall into "Modernism".

The latest theories in Christianity are self centered and come more from psychology, sociology or positive motivational training than from the Word of God.

To ME the first thing to understand is we are to return to Biblical Christianity is the simple Bible fact found in .......
"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds".

That is an awesome claim!!!! It is also a true and factual claim and since it is we should tremble at the Word of God.
When the Word of God is read, the hair on the back of our necks should stand straight out!!!
But from where I sit, that kind of respect and reverence is a thing of the past.

When I watch religious TV I come away with the feeling that these people have an 800 number to God. There is always a "God has just spoken to me" or ......."God just told me"........or thank you "Lord for that word just now".
They come away looking like entertainers.

Our Biblical forefathers did not have that kind of relationship with God. Moses could not even look upon God. He had to take off his shoes because of his respect for God.

Isaiah said "Woe is me"!! That means in Hebrew.........."I AM DEAD".

Ezekiel fell upon his face and could not speak.

Daniel passed out and fell face foreward in the ground.

In the Revelation, John initial reaction was fear because he was overcome by the glory of God.

Martin Luther said that preaching made his knees knock. Spurgeon said that he trembled for fear that he would misinterpret the Word of God. IMO and it is only MY opinion, that sense of awe has been replaced with psychological babble. Today's preaching and teaching is all about making us feel better about our selves and improving our self esteem.

As i think about all that you wrote a few thoughts come to mind. One is that if we are trembling at the Word of God, or having the hair on the back of our necks stand out..would not that be a sensation of the body and should no more be relied upon than feeling we have faith or love (which are spiritual forces and have nothing to do with feelings)? And in my mind trembling equates to fear. And since the blood of Jesus was shed and covers me, and God looks at me as His child and loves me the exact same as He does Jesus (John 17:23)....why when the Word says to approach the throne with boldness, and confidence (Ephesians 3:12 and Hebrews 4:12) ....and perfect (mature, and developed) love casts out all fear (1 John 4:18) ....should i tremble? Should i not just be in complete peace knowing that my Heavenly Father loves me? Shouldn't i allow myself to get excited like David did when he danced (2 Samuel 6:14) , sang and worshipped God? Celebrating the very goodness and greatness of God Almighty. For David was called a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22), and in ps 22:3 it says that God inhabits the praises of His people...which is in my opinion the reason why God called David a man after His own heart in the first place.

You said that our biblical forefathers did not have that kind of relationship with the Father, but you have only pointed out a couple of the old testament patriarchs. Abraham had that kind of relationship with God, otherwise Abraham's discussion about Sodom and Gamorrah (Genesis 18:17-33) would have never happened. And Abraham would not have the trust and faith in God, to sacrifice his only son, that God promised to make him the Father of many nations through (Genesis 22:16-17; Hebrews 11:17-18)The disciples knew Jesus that way and had that type of relationship with Him, and as Jesus pointed out more than once...if you have seen Me you have seen the Father (John 14:).

The last thought i would like to share is about the positive motivational training comment, which is in the Word of God (Philippians 4:8) and in many other Scriptures. If one is to walk in the ways of God, we must put away from us a froward (disobedient) mouth (proverbs 4:24)....we are to admonish one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs (Colossians 3:16)....Matthew 5:44-45 says to love, Bless or speak well of our enemies...that we may be the sons of our Father that is in Heaven. And vs. 48 says to be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect, which is also complete, or mature. So how can we be obedient to the Word of God and not speak positively? How can we bring forth the good treasure of our hearts (inner man) as in Matthew 12:34b-35a if we choose to speak negatively and like the world does? How can we guard out mouths and our words like King David asked the Lord to help him do (ps 141:3) if we do not watch what we say and make the choice to speak positively? How are we going to obediently meditate the Word of God (ps 1:2) which is muttering to oneself, if we do not speak what the Word of God says?

I think that way to many people do not watch the words that they speak. They do not make sure it lines up with the Word of God. People have a tendency to speak like the world and then wonder why they are sick or in dire straights or what have you, they wonder why the Promises of God or just the Word of God in general does not work for them. People have a tendency to live like the world and then find Scriptures to back it up and it really should be the other way around....we should live the Bible (that is what is was given to us for) and then see if what we do in the world line up with it. If it does not then we need to make some changes in our lives. It can be as simple as i love cheese or this shirt or nascar, etc....but the Word says to love not the things of this world....so if God is love and we are to only love people and Him and His Word, maybe its time to find a scripture to help us define the things that we enjoy in this world.

Blessings of grace and peace be yours in abundance

Brother Fish is this warning for those who totally write in caps or is it geared towards making a word or two or three caps as to say attention....see this....?
Just wondering so I do nt make any mistakes... Was confusing with your all caps of the word all as to get evey ones attion on the word all...........Just want to be on the same page. thanks

Blessings
Jim the staff would prefer the caps to be lower case as caps infers shouting.
There is a rule about all caps but please refrain if you can. If possible, use bold or another colour.
The announcement is for all members in this thread.

As i think about all that you wrote a few thoughts come to mind. One is that if we are trembling at the Word of God, or having the hair on the back of our necks stand out..would not that be a sensation of the body and should no more be relied upon than feeling we have faith or love (which are spiritual forces and have nothing to do with feelings)? And in my mind trembling equates to fear. And since the blood of Jesus was shed and covers me, and God looks at me as His child and loves me the exact same as He does Jesus (John 17:23)....why when the Word says to approach the throne with boldness, and confidence (Ephesians 3:12 and Hebrews 4:12) ....and perfect (mature, and developed) love casts out all fear (1 John 4:18) ....should i tremble? Should i not just be in complete peace knowing that my Heavenly Father loves me? Shouldn't i allow myself to get excited like David did when he danced (2 Samuel 6:14) , sang and worshipped God? Celebrating the very goodness and greatness of God Almighty. For David was called a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22), and in ps 22:3 it says that God inhabits the praises of His people...which is in my opinion the reason why God called David a man after His own heart in the first place.

You said that our biblical forefathers did not have that kind of relationship with the Father, but you have only pointed out a couple of the old testament patriarchs. Abraham had that kind of relationship with God, otherwise Abraham's discussion about Sodom and Gamorrah (Genesis 18:17-33) would have never happened. And Abraham would not have the trust and faith in God, to sacrifice his only son, that God promised to make him the Father of many nations through (Genesis 22:16-17; Hebrews 11:17-18)The disciples knew Jesus that way and had that type of relationship with Him, and as Jesus pointed out more than once...if you have seen Me you have seen the Father (John 14:).

The last thought i would like to share is about the positive motivational training comment, which is in the Word of God (Philippians 4:8) and in many other Scriptures. If one is to walk in the ways of God, we must put away from us a froward (disobedient) mouth (proverbs 4:24)....we are to admonish one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs (Colossians 3:16)....Matthew 5:44-45 says to love, Bless or speak well of our enemies...that we may be the sons of our Father that is in Heaven. And vs. 48 says to be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect, which is also complete, or mature. So how can we be obedient to the Word of God and not speak positively? How can we bring forth the good treasure of our hearts (inner man) as in Matthew 12:34b-35a if we choose to speak negatively and like the world does? How can we guard out mouths and our words like King David asked the Lord to help him do (ps 141:3) if we do not watch what we say and make the choice to speak positively? How are we going to obediently meditate the Word of God (ps 1:2) which is muttering to oneself, if we do not speak what the Word of God says?

I think that way to many people do not watch the words that they speak. They do not make sure it lines up with the Word of God. People have a tendency to speak like the world and then wonder why they are sick or in dire straights or what have you, they wonder why the Promises of God or just the Word of God in general does not work for them. People have a tendency to live like the world and then find Scriptures to back it up and it really should be the other way around....we should live the Bible (that is what is was given to us for) and then see if what we do in the world line up with it. If it does not then we need to make some changes in our lives. It can be as simple as i love cheese or this shirt or nascar, etc....but the Word says to love not the things of this world....so if God is love and we are to only love people and Him and His Word, maybe its time to find a scripture to help us define the things that we enjoy in this world.

Blessings of grace and peace be yours in abundance

Excellant comments. I don't know if I am able to answer what you have stated because my thoughts are more on the "feeling" I have and from the things I have witnessed more than it is about Scriptural teachings.

When I said that Luther stated that his knees knocked and Spuregeon trembled when he preached, I meant that as an example of the kind of reverence and awe that those men had for God's Word.

When I watch TV's religiouse programs today, what I see has more to do with psychologial babble than it does with Bible truth.

Today we see preachers look to the heavens with a hand to their ear and say that they are listening to God and then turn to the camera and claim......"God just told me to tell you..........".

Instead of "awe and fear of God" that kind of acttion tells me that there is a profund lack of awe of fear today.

Psalms 36:1 says..........
"There is no fear of God before His eyes".

Ecclesiastes 12:13 says...........
"It is no longer in style to fear God and keep His commandments".

It is my feeling is that this kind of flippant attitude has to laid at the feet of men who make merchandise out of the Scriptures and have morphed more into "Entertainers" than into Preachers of the Word of God.

In my opinion, the church has lead the way to feed the disire of men to "feel good".

I am not one who believes we go to church to feel good. We should be going to church to worship a holy God who hates sin but loves the sinner. Every single one of us need to be challenged by the preaching of the Word of God and fed the solid Word of God.

That is why I say that America "Needs and must return to Biblical Christianity".

Last edited:
When I read through the examples (Peale, Schueller, Osteen, etc) listed in this post... It becomes clearer to me that the winnowing that is in progress is badly needed..... Much of what passed as "christianity" was really simply disguising secular humanism and feel good self-help under the cloak of "christianity" - AKA having a form of godliness but denying the power... Ethics, morals, good behavior, environmental responsibility, charity, good citizenship, patriotism but no zeal for Christ, no leaning HARD on the Grace of God to deliver you, no leaning HARD on God to deliver us from ourselves, no heavy reliance upon God for his sustaining power daily.....

We seem to ignore the history of America and how it pertains to the church as a big part of the reason for why we are where we are today.... Generations of Americans grew up on "Secular bible teaching" through the public school systems and colleges... Generations of "Bible scholars" went through college and into university/church careers believing and teaching that the bible was false and contrived by man.... Thousands of "Divinity" graduates came out of college believing that the only thing that "christianity" had to offer was good morals and ethical standards - literally believing that if there was no Jesus, "christianity" would remain the same (For them, it likely would...)....

God does what he does for a reason... Sometimes, he will let a "Field go fallow" for a season - to bring things into balance.... I think Lamentations shows a good example of this... For example - I was going through Lamentations 3 and noticed a couple things I had not seen before....

At some point - the house of cards has to come down.... God has given "the system" enough chances to repent - and they won't... So God comes and chops down the tree Himself.... It echos to the fig tree in Matt 21 where Jesus curses the fig tree and it whithers.....

Lam 3:42 - "We have transgressed and rebelled, you have no pardoned"
Large scale corporate "Grace" (Unmerited favor) is suspended after a long period of what seems like God not paying attention to sin and misbehavior within his church... Instead of laws and judgments going our way - they go against us... Instead of trends in society being "Favorable" towards us - they are unfavorable... The legs are cut right out from under the organizations - they can't get traction for resources and making results where before, they had an unlimited supply of everything they needed... Leaders and teachers seem "stuck" and can't make progress, etc......

Next - we see where folks just don't hear, don't listen.... Why - because they believe they already KNOW fully..... Does this sound familiar? Lam 3:65 "You will give them hardness of heart, your curse will be on them" .. Literally "Covering" or "Veiling" of the heart... That sounds a whole lot like Matt 13:15 "For the heart of this people has become dull (fat, covered), with their ears they scarcely hear, and they have closed their eyes......." When you listen to these "scholars" - you see exactly the same thing... They refuse to hear, they refuse to see, their heart is dulled - because they think they already "Know"..... That generation is coming to retirement now and won't be replaced by another of the same because the pipeline was cut some 30-odd years ago...

It's here.... We have no choice but to return back to God.. It's not going to work any other way.

Thanks

When I read through the examples (Peale, Schueller, Osteen, etc) listed in this post... It becomes clearer to me that the winnowing that is in progress is badly needed..... Much of what passed as "christianity" was really simply disguising secular humanism and feel good self-help under the cloak of "christianity" - AKA having a form of godliness but denying the power... Ethics, morals, good behavior, environmental responsibility, charity, good citizenship, patriotism but no zeal for Christ, no leaning HARD on the Grace of God to deliver you, no leaning HARD on God to deliver us from ourselves, no heavy reliance upon God for his sustaining power daily.....

We seem to ignore the history of America and how it pertains to the church as a big part of the reason for why we are where we are today.... Generations of Americans grew up on "Secular bible teaching" through the public school systems and colleges... Generations of "Bible scholars" went through college and into university/church careers believing and teaching that the bible was false and contrived by man.... Thousands of "Divinity" graduates came out of college believing that the only thing that "christianity" had to offer was good morals and ethical standards - literally believing that if there was no Jesus, "christianity" would remain the same (For them, it likely would...)....

God does what he does for a reason... Sometimes, he will let a "Field go fallow" for a season - to bring things into balance.... I think Lamentations shows a good example of this... For example - I was going through Lamentations 3 and noticed a couple things I had not seen before....

At some point - the house of cards has to come down.... God has given "the system" enough chances to repent - and they won't... So God comes and chops down the tree Himself.... It echos to the fig tree in Matt 21 where Jesus curses the fig tree and it whithers.....

Lam 3:42 - "We have transgressed and rebelled, you have no pardoned"
Large scale corporate "Grace" (Unmerited favor) is suspended after a long period of what seems like God not paying attention to sin and misbehavior within his church... Instead of laws and judgments going our way - they go against us... Instead of trends in society being "Favorable" towards us - they are unfavorable... The legs are cut right out from under the organizations - they can't get traction for resources and making results where before, they had an unlimited supply of everything they needed... Leaders and teachers seem "stuck" and can't make progress, etc......

Next - we see where folks just don't hear, don't listen.... Why - because they believe they already KNOW fully..... Does this sound familiar? Lam 3:65 "You will give them hardness of heart, your curse will be on them" .. Literally "Covering" or "Veiling" of the heart... That sounds a whole lot like Matt 13:15 "For the heart of this people has become dull (fat, covered), with their ears they scarcely hear, and they have closed their eyes......." When you listen to these "scholars" - you see exactly the same thing... They refuse to hear, they refuse to see, their heart is dulled - because they think they already "Know"..... That generation is coming to retirement now and won't be replaced by another of the same because the pipeline was cut some 30-odd years ago...

It's here.... We have no choice but to return back to God.. It's not going to work any other way.

Thanks

Well said and I agree with you and the only way we are going to get back to God is through His Word, the Bible.

Last edited:
When I said that Luther stated that his knocked and Spuregeon trembled when he preached, I meant that as an example of the kind of reverence and awe that those men had for God's Word.

When I watch TV's religiouse programs today, what I see has more to do with psychologial babble than it does with Bible truth.

Today we see preachers look to the heavens with a hand to their ear and say that they are listening to God and then turn to the camera and claim......"God just told me to tell you..........".

Instead of "awe and fear of God" that kind of acttion tells me that there is a profund lack of awe of fear today.

It is my feeling is that this kind of flippant attitude has to laid at the feet of men who make merchandise out of the Scriptures and have morphed more into "Entertainers" than into Preachers of the Word of God.

In my opinion, the church has lead the way to feed the disire of men to "feel good".

I am not one who believes we go to church to feel good. We should be going to church to worship a holy God who hates sin but loves the sinner. Every single one of us need to be challenged by the preaching of the Word of God and fed the solid Word of God.

That is why I say that America "Needs and must return to Biblical Christianity".

You know, so many times - we are told today that "Fear of God" wasn't really supposed to be Fear fear, but more reverential awe.... Oh - it's not trembling fear - it's respect.....

That's an absolute lie... As you point out - Real Fear is an important piece of keeping balance when we "touch" the things of God.... True fear brings restraint... We see the fearsome things that God does to others - and we realize that we are not immune to hubris or folly.... A healthy dose of fear helps counter this hubris and folly.. "Respect" doesn't necessarily accomplish this....

I have seen God do things in my own life... Remove mountains... Remove obstacles... I have seen managers fired when I prayed to God in my distress... People who were obstacles removed... I have seen things happen that makes me take notice.... Things that help to remind me that I would be a fool to NOT have some measure of actual fear....

And we don't like to talk about it in church.... We want to hear the admonition that we ought to have a healthy FEAR of the Power of God - and that fear will be helpful to keep us from doing stupid things... That if God did not spare the Angels who sinned or His Holy People when they rebelled against Him - why would we be immune?

Thanks

Jim the staff would prefer the caps to be lower case as caps infers shouting.
There is a rule about all caps but please refrain if you can. If possible, use bold or another colour.
The announcement is for all members in this thread.

Ok thanks Brother Fish. I tend to use caps over the bold or color because when on my phone I can not hardly even get to those buttons. I will be careful and again Thanks.
God Bless
Jim

You know, so many times - we are told today that "Fear of God" wasn't really supposed to be Fear fear, but more reverential awe.... Oh - it's not trembling fear - it's respect.....

That's an absolute lie... As you point out - Real Fear is an important piece of keeping balance when we "touch" the things of God.... True fear brings restraint... We see the fearsome things that God does to others - and we realize that we are not immune to hubris or folly.... A healthy dose of fear helps counter this hubris and folly.. "Respect" doesn't necessarily accomplish this....

I have seen God do things in my own life... Remove mountains... Remove obstacles... I have seen managers fired when I prayed to God in my distress... People who were obstacles removed... I have seen things happen that makes me take notice.... Things that help to remind me that I would be a fool to NOT have some measure of actual fear....

And we don't like to talk about it in church.... We want to hear the admonition that we ought to have a healthy FEAR of the Power of God - and that fear will be helpful to keep us from doing stupid things... That if God did not spare the Angels who sinned or His Holy People when they rebelled against Him - why would we be immune?

Thanks

Excellent testimony and I agree with you completely!

Ok thanks Brother Fish. I tend to use caps over the bold or color because when on my phone I can not hardly even get to those buttons. I will be careful and again Thanks.
God Bless
Jim
I have to highlight and keep scrolling up to the HTML text icons to do it off of my phone.

Excellant comments. I don't know if I am able to answer what you have stated because my thoughts are more on the "feeling" I have and from the things I have witnessed more than it is about Scriptural teachings.

When I said that Luther stated that his knees knocked and Spuregeon trembled when he preached, I meant that as an example of the kind of reverence and awe that those men had for God's Word.

Hi Major,

Its really ok because they were rhetorical questions anyway. :)

I fully see what you are saying and in a lot of ways i agree with you. The only part that i have grown to change in is instead of feeling condemned by the preacher's words, which leaves me thinking that i cannot ever be good enough to know that I am loved by my Savior and found in right standing with The Father, because of the Blood of Jesus. I grew up being afraid of the Father, thinking that He was just up there waiting to zap me if i made a mistake. Which was untrue, but because i listened to preachers that preached fire and brimstone (which some was get saved or else). And God finally set me free of that. God does not want us to be so afraid of Him that we serve Him out of have to or else....He desires that we serve Him because we want to and love Him. He deals with us differently in the new testament than He did in the old.

The Bible says in 1 John 3:21 that if our heart (inner man, not blood pump or physical heart...actually the core of the person) does not condemn us then we have confidence towards God. And in Hebrews 9:14 it says how much more shall the blood of Christ who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God. So if i think about those two verses...then in my mind it says that God doesn't want me to have a sin conscious, because the Blood of Jesus cleansed that for me (us). And if i have a conscious that is cleansed by the Blood of Jesus then i can trust in 1 John 1:9 that i am constantly (after repenting when i miss the mark) in right standing with the Father, which leaves me to be encouraged in the fact that i can be free to have a close and intimate relationship with my Savior. My inner man will not condemn me because my focus is on what the Blood of Jesus has done for me instead of what Adam's sin created in my flesh. And as 1 John 4:4 says greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world. Thus i have confidence to believe that God desires for me to live a victorious life, according to all that Jesus died for and bore on the cross. I can rest in His ability to work in my life (Philippians 2:13) because it brings Him pleasure to see me victorious, and not down trodden believing that i will never be good enough.

I fully agree that we should be encouraged by our pastors to grow and stirve to be obedient to Jesus' commands...because in doing so we show Him that we love Him (John 14:21). I do agree also that we (all believers not just in america) need to get back to studying and leaning on and implementing the truth of The Word of God into our lives. Fully walking in the light as He is in the light, as Jesus said, even if it steps on my toes as to what i have learned over the years. Its better to be teachable than to be stuck in what someone else has said, or interpreted the Bible to say or mean. I want to know what it says for myself, and when i find truth and understanding of The Word, given by The Holy Spirit, through meditating on His Word as He has commanded us, then by golly i am going to stand upon it, and share it. Because i want to be found faithful with what God has given me, and i want more to be able to share..for what we don't use we loose (my paraphrase of Luke 19:26). Walking according to the Bible should be a lifestyle and not just a hobby. As stated in 2 Corinthians 5:7... for we walk by faith not by sight.

I fully respect and have a reverance for My Father in Heaven, and agree that is what needs to return. But i don't want to get caught judging another person's heart or relationship with God, just because of what i see on tv, or their ministry, or their own personal lives. That is God's (Holy Spirit's) job to convict and change...not mine. I don't want to cause a higher standard of judgement to come on me because i chose to disobey Jesus' Words in Matthew 7:1-4.

Thanks for listening :)

Abundance of Blessings to you and your wife of grace and peace! I pray the rest of your years together will be extremely blessed!

Last edited:
Back