A Tribute To The Evangelist Steve And Jeri Hill

I’d like to take this opportunity to compose a short tribute to the Evangelist Steve and Jeri Hill. Steve recently passed in quite a sudden way due to a Cancer which he had been fighting for some time and it came as quite a shock to us as a couple so I really wanted to share a little about Steve and his wife Jeri and how they affected our lives as a tribute to them and testimony of God’s guiding hand through their ministry.

steve-hill.jpg

The Evangelist Steve Hill

I gave my heart to Jesus Christ when I was nine years old and had quite a spectacular conversion experience however despite that and our Christian family history, I fell away from God in my teenage years. What followed was quite simply was a life of drink, drugs and experiences with the opposite sex as well as partaking in most of the sins my choice of life had to offer and as the years rolled on, my life just got worse and worse. In 2001, the Lord brought me back again to a life with him however, I was in quite a mess both spiritually and emotionally not to mention financially, which the Lord began to take care of in those first few months. A few individuals really helped me to begin to get on my feet but one in particular, a loud wee American man, caught my attention as I switched on the TV.

Little did I know at the time, this guy was the main Evangelist at a move of God called the Brownsville Revival which was in full swing at the time and the TV aired re-run messages each evening about 11pm. His name, as I found out quite quickly, was the Reverend Steve Hill and the very first night I heard him preach I thought wow, this is a guy I can listen to, he was so direct and everything he said seemed to have a sharp edge of the Lord’s Spirit as he preached messages to lost at Brownsville. He didn’t mince his words in the slightest as he would passionately plead with those risking hell to consider their souls and their sinful condition and it was these kind of messages I really needed to hear.

In the first few months of me coming back to Christ, I was on shaky ground, I was almost neither here nor there at times and my mind was flying in so many different directions and I needed God so much to help me and get my life back on track. The temptations were huge almost pulling at me hard to return to the drink and the partying and at times I thought and fear I might slip back however, God used Steve in some powerful ways. Late on at night when all had gone to bed, I’d be sitting there listening to the messages and it seemed that every message he preached, was written with my name as it’s subject, every time I struggled it seemed God would use him again and again and I found myself being kept more and more on track by the sharp words of Mr Hill.

These were the messages I needed to hear from God because not only was my relationship and family with Sharon in jeopardy, but my eternal life in God with the prospect of Hell, God not only used Steve to save me, but save Sharon and my family situation too and for that, I’ll always be grateful. Sharon and I benefited greatly from their ministry during those months and it left us with a lasting impression to remain steadfastly committed to Jesus and accept no compromise and it’s that I think that’s kept us tight to God. We’ve also over the years benefited a lot from Steve’s preaching and when there’s been times when I’ve felt a need for a kick in the pants, I scroll through the channels to see if he was on and there was always a message there for us.

We will sorely miss Steve however our thoughts now are toward Jeri and the family, Steve might have been the Lord’s front man but it was clear, absolutely clear that Jeri was the Lord’s rock for Steve in the labors they carried out. Jeri taught us a lot too, I always remember Steve talking about when they lost their unborn child due to complications which to me is unimaginable. Steve spoke of his amazement when he returned to her hospital room to find his wife Jeri, on her knees, praying with one of the nurses even though she had just lost her child. That in itself told us what kind of woman she is and she was of great example to myself and Sharon and I’m sure she will continue to do so.

There ministry has had a tremendous impact on us as I’m sure you can tell from the above and it was their availability that allowed God easy access to speak into our lives and I’m sure the lives of so many more. Thousands have came to Christ through their ministry and I would venture to say through TV and radio, millions and it can be easily seen how God has used them both to win souls from hell. Steve just seemed to love the Lord so much and I can’t help myself to imagine, Steve’s absolute joy in finally getting to meet his saviour face to face. I get the feeling Steve is either looking at the face of God in awe or on his face praying for those who are left behind and although we’re going to miss him, that thought gives us a great smile.

We hope this message has told you a little of Steve and Jeri Hill as well as the ministry, which Jeri will continue to bring forward. We’ve never met either of them face to face but the Christian Spirit connection seems to be so evident and Jeri, if you happen to ever come across this article, then let me thank you from the bottom of our hearts for you and for Steve’s ministry. God told me a couple of years ago that I’d be dead today of Jesus didn’t intervene in my life, I wouldn’t have my wonderful marriage with my wife, I would have my two new babies and neither would I be a Pastor in our local Church. You and Steve we’re big instruments of God in our lives and we feel we’ve lost a friend, we love you and we will be praying always for you and your family in the coming weeks and months. I pray God fills the hole Steve left and I pray you”ll take comfort in the lives that have been saved until you see him again in Glory.

God bless.

Back