A True Christian Can't Be Depressed

That is very revealing. I am wondering if you have any Scripture you could provide with this. That would certainly be beneficial to those of us who may be experiencing depression symptoms.

O was thinking more of more recent leaders like Francis Schaefer (thre is another I am trying to remember, but my elderly mind is stubborn), but if you want scripture, consider the Psalms of David. Many are prayers from a sad and troubled heart. This continued over quite a period, yet David's faith is stll celebrated today.

O was thinking more of more recent leaders like Francis Schaefer (thre is another I am trying to remember, but my elderly mind is stubborn), but if you want scripture, consider the Psalms of David. Many are prayers from a sad and troubled heart. This continued over quite a period, yet David's faith is stll celebrated today.
Many christian can become depressed, as my senor pastor has fought against that for several years~

Well it can be worsened by being alone but when depression first begins and throughout its duration alone is all you really want. Medication and smoking keeps my symptoms at bay but I think some people may genetically be prone to depression and it is completely alien to those who do not have such leanings. My wife and I have both been through bouts of depression in our lifetimes but the past ten years have been REALLY hard for both of us. Loss of loved ones, cancer, family fallouts, not seeing our grandbabies, addiction battles, etc. Being close to Christ is the ONLY thing that has kept us above water.
Often depression is caused by organic (physical) causes (like chemical imbalances in brain) rather than reaction to circumstances. Whatever the cause in their specific cases, well-known Christians who have suffered from depression include Martin Luther, George Fox and C. H. Spurgeon. Yet these Christians changed the world to a greater or smaller degree! Depression is never something that we welcome, but those who suffer from it can be used by God to comfort and empathize with others who are sufferers. Even depression can be turned into a blessing!

Often depression is caused by organic (physical) causes (like chemical imbalances in brain) rather than reaction to circumstances. Whatever the cause in their specific cases, well-known Christians who have suffered from depression include Martin Luther, George Fox and C. H. Spurgeon. Yet these Christians changed the world to a greater or smaller degree! Depression is never something that we welcome, but those who suffer from it can be used by God to comfort and empathize with others who are sufferers. Even depression can be turned into a blessing!
Could you cite your source for that assertion? Everyone responds differently to external stressors. Chemical imbalances are the result of circumstance and experiences regardless of severity or duration. Unless I was sleeping through all 4 years of my psychology major.

When I had it bad, it was after a shock. I had to readjust and it took me years to adjust because I kept putting myself back in the same situation.
I used to get flashbacks and intrusive memories I could t stop. I took anti depressants for a while and then stopped to see it it would work as when I took them I felt just as numb as before. It’s different for everyone, but it really made me feel complete utter despair at the fact that i thought I would have it all my life. I have my feelings back now.
It’s the most horrific thing I’ve ever had.
The intrusive memories and nightmares were the worst.
You just can’t function properly and can’t seem to feel anything😞
I had to learn to live with it and welcome it, and mine started to lift slowly.
Praying for you Sam. Your a well good guy🙏

When I had it bad, it was after a shock. I had to readjust and it took me years to adjust because I kept putting myself back in the same situation.
I used to get flashbacks and intrusive memories I could t stop. I took anti depressants for a while and then stopped to see it it would work as when I took them I felt just as numb as before. It’s different for everyone, but it really made me feel complete utter despair at the fact that i thought I would have it all my life. I have my feelings back now.
It’s the most horrific thing I’ve ever had.
The intrusive memories and nightmares were the worst.
You just can’t function properly and can’t seem to feel anything😞
I had to learn to live with it and welcome it, and mine started to lift slowly.
Praying for you Sam. Your a well good guy🙏
You are so kind. I am train wreck looking for a place to happen. I know you are praying for me; I feel the difference. Thank you, sweet sister.

Closely related but not necessarily identical to depression is "not feeling it" or feeling like one's spiritual life is "dry".

I note that many spiritual leaders have written about sometimes long periods of dryness and doubt.

One theme that recurs in their life is the importance of continuing in prayer and study particularly in dark times.

Many times God is teaching steadfastness and the believer emerges out the other end with renewed understanding of trust in the Lord.

I thought depression was more of a can't stop crying, despairing, numb, bleak, can't go on anymore type of thing.

but since you said dry, then I am depressed too...

just not as depressed as I was.

I thought depression was more of a can't stop crying, despairing, numb, bleak, can't go on anymore type of thing.

but since you said dry, then I am depressed too...

just not as depressed as I was.
Makes me think of John 3:30 (NASB) "He must increase, but I must decrease." The word "decrease" here is G1642, which means literally decrease, make lower, or lessen. I can't think of anything which has lessened me more than the depression I have suffered for so long. Jesus is definitely increasing more in my life.

Makes me think of John 3:30 (NASB) "He must increase, but I must decrease." The word "decrease" here is G1642, which means literally decrease, make lower, or lessen. I can't think of anything which has lessened me more than the depression I have suffered for so long. Jesus is definitely increasing more in my life.
Well, there’s loads of us here, and when there’s 2 or 3.....🙏

Is it true that if you truly love and serve God then you are "immune" from depression?

NO! That is not true my brother. Due to the condition of my grandfather and my mother I have been very involoved in this isue for some time.

Can depression be a sign of disobedience? Yes, it certainly can. But in more cases than not it can also be caused by medical or chemical issues, mental or physical exhaustion, and so on.

But just because someone is a Christian who's been saved by Jesus doesn't mean they won't face difficult circumstances because we all know that living life is hard. It gets harder all the time.

The real problem is that because of the stigma attached to depression as a mental illness.....the great majority of Christians sit in silence because they are Christians and they fear that if anyone know their condition.....they will be thought of differently.

NO! That is not true my brother. Due to the condition of my grandfather and my mother I have been very involoved in this isue for some time.

Can depression be a sign of disobedience? Yes, it certainly can. But in more cases than not it can also be caused by medical or chemical issues, mental or physical exhaustion, and so on.

But just because someone is a Christian who's been saved by Jesus doesn't mean they won't face difficult circumstances because we all know that living life is hard. It gets harder all the time.

The real problem is that because of the stigma attached to depression as a mental illness.....the great majority of Christians sit in silence because they are Christians and they fear that if anyone know their condition.....they will be thought of differently.
I wish you preached down here. I would never miss a Sunday meeting. Thank you, Major.

The only reason I put this thread up os that there are people who believe that if you are depressed then you must not be walking close to Jesus or that you are backslidden. We can learn something here if you feel targeted by this thread that was not my intent. You just brought up a good topic. The fact is, from what I can determine from Scripture is that there saved and unsaved, those who are in the valleys and those on the mountain, etc. But God is the deciding factor of what we endure when we need to and I pity the brother or sister that judges his fellow believer for saying that what you or I am going through is a sign of unbelief.

NOPE! Being a Christian who may be depressed does not mean that you are living in disobedience to God anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Remember this my brother...When God looks at someone that has surrendered their life to Jesus, He doesn't see their struggles…
He sees their relationship to Him.

Also, keep in mind that Some of the Bible's greatest heroes were far from perfect and they struggled with depression too!

Moses tried to lead the people of Israel in the desert and he wanted to quit because of the overwhelming circumstances.

Elijah was alone, running for his life in the wilderness and almost gave up.

Jonah wanted God to take his life rather than going to a foreign nation as a spokesperson for God.

David felt the sting of people angry with him and wrote songs about his deep sadness.

I wish you preached down here. I would never miss a Sunday meeting. Thank you, Major.

I appreciate that brother but I am preaching to the world over this thing called the inter-net!

Too many Christians and church people are struggling alone because they're expected to be perfect and have everything together when in fact on the inside they are drowning.

The question is.......how long can they hold their breath!!!

I appreciate that brother but I am preaching to the world over this thing called the inter-net!

Too many Christians and church people are struggling alone because they're expected to be perfect and have everything together when in fact on the inside they are drowning.

The question is.......how long can they hold their breath!!!
You are on fire today! Preach on, brother, preach on!

well said... I'm not sure if many people really stop to consider that verse in that way.

This is the wonderful part about God's word. You can read the same passages over and often find something new. God gives us understanding through his Holy Spirit. I also believe that as we learn we add another layer of understanding that makes it possible to understand passages more clearly or even in a different light.

cp

Could you cite your source for that assertion? Everyone responds differently to external stressors. Chemical imbalances are the result of circumstance and experiences regardless of severity or duration. Unless I was sleeping through all 4 years of my psychology major.
It is a controversial theory, so maybe I overstated it! But the real point that I wanted to make is that depression is complex and that being a Christian does not make one immune to it, nor should a Christian feel ashamed or think that something is wrong with his/her faith because of depression.

Back