Acts 1:1-5

Act 1:1The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
Act 1:2Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
Act 1:3To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
Act 1:4And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, butwait for the promise of the Father, which,saith he,ye have heard of me.
Act 1:5For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

There are a rather odd assortment of teachings today that, simply put, defy the very Word of God. More and more, these days, I find myself having reason to teach elementary school basics to young adults due to the true State of the Union. There is no story nor any written record that can be, properly, used without the lost art of comprehension. The above text is one, such, example.

The Book of The Acts of the Apostles is not well taught in churches these days and it is easily overlooked due to the lack of the proper name being used as the title, thereof. When we read the least read part of the Bible, the Index, and we read Acts, it has no real impact. And yet, herein, lies the recorded History of the Early Church, after the Genesis, a major foundation block for the building of Grounded Christianity.

Often, I have been reminded of my years as a soldier and as a carpenter. In Basic Training, Boot Camp to the Marines, we were taught the foundation a successful soldier builds his life on. As a carpenter before I could ever erect the first wall I needed a solid foundation to build on or all my work would fail. As a soldier, if my machine-gun failed because I was to drunk to clean it before I laid down to rest I would not have been successful the next day when the enemy sought to bring my chopper to the ground. The same is true of the Christian, with no foundation, nothing can be built that can endure.

Saint Luke begins this historical record with mention of it´s intended recipient, Theophilus. The name is oft defined as the Lover of God and it is a popular belief that he was Luke´s benefactor and reason for his education as a doctor. Both this record and the Book of Luke are addressed to him and look to be for his Spiritual Profit.

In verse 2 we learn that, to the horror and disdain of the, Self Proclaimed, New Testament Christian, that Jesus, the Messiah, the Christ, left His Apostles and therefore, His Followers with commandments! This is a touchy subject among a rebellious people and that is just what these Modern Day ?Converts? are, rebellious.

If a man, any man will revere God so much as to hunger for His Word, he or she will read it... from beginning to end. The remarkable thing that is discovered by such a reader that has prayed and submitted themselves to the perfect Will of God is that the context of the scriptures is one, from Genesis 1:1 through the very last Amen of The Revelation of Jesus, the Christ. The message, throughout is the message of Salvation through faith in Jesus Christ alone.

On one forum I am presently about to reply with the reasoning behind my rebuke for his heretical offering that Salvation is offered through faith but can be earned by good works. The saddest point of this is that this gent is not alone in this belief. If a person does not read the scriptures in their context they are without a foundation to stand on and if you do not swtand on the truth, you will fall for anything.

In verse three it is important to note that the record of Jesus´ death and resurrection is verified and particularly that He taught for forty consecutive days after His death and burial. And in verses four and five comes the heart of the matter for this lesson, all followers of the Christ are indwelt (baptized) with or by the Holy Spirit of God, the Father and God, the Son.

We are commanded not to quench the Spirit (1Thes. 5:19) so it is possible to be a saved man and still be Carnal. That being said, the single, most important thing any man can ever do is a Spiritual Inventory. This is a matter that needs to be cared for over and over, the more often the better. No-one can do it for you and you cannot do it for yourself without an honest Prayer Life. You must, prayerfully submit yourself to the will of God for your life!

This, inventory, is best accomplished by the person that has devoted their life to the study of the Word of God. This Does Not Require A Degree In Biblical Studies! A degree can be a hindrance. There are teachers in seminaries, around the world, that teach against the Word of God being infallible. Couple bad information, teaching, with the truth that the mind, like the computer, is only as good as the information it contains.

If you can fall on your face and submit to God, He is able and He will accomplish the work He has begun in you. May God bless you and yours.

"There are a rather odd assortment of teachings today that, simply put, defy the very Word of God. More and more, these days, I find myself having reason to teach elementary school basics to young adults due to the true State of the Union. There is no story nor any written record that can be, properly, used without the lost art of comprehension. The above text is one, such, example".

Sad commentary for todays believers but very, very true.

"There are a rather odd assortment of teachings today that, simply put, defy the very Word of God. More and more, these days, I find myself having reason to teach elementary school basics to young adults due to the true State of the Union. There is no story nor any written record that can be, properly, used without the lost art of comprehension. The above text is one, such, example".

Sad commentary for todays believers but very, very true.
The most frightening thing, for me, is the lack of grounded believers today.

The most frightening thing, for me, is the lack of grounded believers today.

Rest assured Bill it is for me too. It is for me too. That is why I emphasise so much the need to ground our understanding firmly on the only foundation of truth that ANY of us possess and that is the written word of God ALONE.

If we are to "rightly divide the word of God" as Major often reminds us then the Prophets and Apostles of the Lord MUST be allowed to speak - FOR THEMSELVES, not through "interpreters". The mature and wise follower of Christ listens FIRST to CHRIST'S proven Prophets and Apostles and then judges the words of ALL others by them. There is simply no other way to guarantee the truth of what one hears. We have no other measure of the truth of the Lord except by the word of HIS APPOINTED prophets and Apostles as recorded and faithfully preserved BY HIM in the 66 Book Bible handed down to us by the assembled APOSTOLIC churches at the beginning of the 1,000 Year Byzantine Christian Empire.

That is why I return always to what is written not what is "taught" to see if what is said OR taught is actually true or not.

Back