Acts 24

Act 24:1 And after five days the high priest Ananias came down with certain elders, and with an orator, one Tertullus; and they informed the governor against Paul.
Act 24:2 And when he was called, Tertullus began to accuse him, saying, Seeing that by thee we enjoy much peace, and that by the providence evils are corrected for this nation,
Act 24:3 we accept it in all ways and in all places, most excellent Felix, with all thankfulness.
Act 24:4 But, that I be not further tedious unto thee, I entreat thee to hear us of thy clemency a few words.

In this passage we see an art, exercised, that has not passed on to the youth of today. If a man has an important task that needs to be heard, it is never a bad thing to grease the surface when pushing a heavy load and likewise it is always good to be respectful to those that are in charge and it is often profitable.

Act 24:5 For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of insurrections among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes:
Act 24:6 who moreover assayed to profane the temple: on whom also we laid hold: and we would have judged him according to our law.
Act 24:7 But the chief captain Lysias came, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,
Act 24:8 commanding his accusers to come before thee. from whom thou wilt be able, by examining him thyself, to take knowledge of all these things whereof we accuse him.
Act 24:9 And the Jews also joined in the charge, affirming that these things were so.

The people of this world, people that do not follow the Christ, are prone to lie to accomplish their goals. Paul has never sought to, nor has he preached, resurrection. When we read the scriptures we see that Jesus and likewise, Paul, is always respectful of the authorities and rulers of the nations.

As the world's representative of the Christ we must remember that they are watching us and they must see us being different or they will, correctly, conclude that they can see no difference and so no value. In the Army my pilots would seldom do a thorough Preflight Inspection because they saw me on the Flight Line cleaning, lubing and inspecting the ship for defects... They knew me to be trust worthy because of what they saw and what they heard me say.

When I was in business, the reputation of my company was such that going in I was offered top dollar because I, always, did my best to be thorough and as a result when the government inspectors check my work there were seldom more than one or two items to repair to bring a house up to Code. As Christians we are, in like manor, different.

Act 24:10 And when the governor had beckoned unto him to speak, Paul answered, Forasmuch as I know that thou hast been of many years a judge unto this nation, I cheerfully make my defense:
Act 24:11 seeing that thou canst take knowledge that it is not more than twelve days since I went up to worship at Jerusalem:
Act 24:12 and neither in the temple did they find me disputing with any man or stirring up a crowd, nor in the synagogues, nor in the city.
Act 24:13 Neither can they prove to thee the things whereof they now accuse me.
Act 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the Way which they call a sect, so serve I the God of our fathers, believing all things which are according to the law, and which are written in the prophets;

Many are they that dispute paying attention to the Mosaic Law and yet, Paul, perhaps, the most significant follower and teacher of the Way, used these rules to govern his daily actions. While it is true that Salvation does not come by the Law, it is here that we find the most beautiful word picture of our Saviour that we are to emulate. Jesus told us that, if we love Him, that we would obey His commands. (John 14:15) And in John 1:1-3 we learn that Jesus is the God of the Creation account and the, very, one that wrote the Laws into the stone tablets with His finger. All of the scriptures, from Genesis 1:1 through the very last Amen in Revelation 22, is the Word of Jesus!

Also, like Paul, we must learn to trust God to speak through us and, so, we must study to know that we practice and we speak the truth.

Act 24:15 having hope toward God, which these also themselves look for, that there shall be a resurrection both of the just and unjust.
Act 24:16 Herein I also exercise myself to have a conscience void of offence toward God and men always.
Act 24:17 Now after some years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings:
Act 24:18 amidst which they found me purified in the temple, with no crowd, nor yet with tumult: but there were certain Jews from Asia -
Act 24:19 who ought to have been here before thee, and to make accusation, if they had aught against me.
Act 24:20 Or else let these men themselves say what wrong-doing they found when I stood before the council,
Act 24:21 except it be for this one voice, that I cried standing among them, Touching the resurrection of the dead I am called in question before you this day.

Again, Paul, knowing his opposition, splits them with his belief statement of te truth of the resurrection. He goes on, not fearing, and points out that his, original, accessors were not present to accuse him. Paul is so trusting of God, that, he points to the truth that the people of the Way (Christians) are considered by the Jewish people to be a sect of Judaism.

Act 24:22 But Felix, having more exact knowledge concerning the Way, deferred them, saying, When Lysias the chief captain shall come down, I will determine your matter.
Act 24:23 And he gave order to the centurion that he should be kept in charge, and should have indulgence; and not to forbid any of his friends to minister unto him.
Act 24:24 But after certain days, Felix came with Drusilla, his wife, who was a Jewess, and sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ Jesus.

Felix, obviously, moved by God, keeps Paul under House Arrest but charges His guards not to detain Paul so much but to secure him and Felix, then, bring his wife with him to hear Paul testify of Christ.

Act 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, and self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was terrified, and answered, Go thy way for this time; and when I have a convenient season, I will call thee unto me.
Act 24:26 He hoped withal that money would be given him of Paul: wherefore also he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him.
Act 24:27 But when two years were fulfilled, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus; and desiring to gain favor with the Jews, Felix left Paul in bonds.

Felix is smart enough to see that there is personal need for a decision but just as many today, he puts it off. And then we witness Satan at work, sing his natural greed to keep his mind side tracked and off the real issue. Every man must make a decision to follow Jesus or, by default, go to Hell and from there, on to eternal punishment in the Lake of Fire.

Once again I would like to say that this has a big thumbs up from me, I always enjoy reading this and sorry the last one turned into something it wasn't meant to be. I hope this one fairs better.

Thank you, I had and I have cut him off for being a troll. I also am sorry it went that way. Rumely was totally correct to close the thread for posting and it can still do it's work because it can still be read and the Holy Spirit will do the rest as He does anyway.

God Bless, my brother.

And praise God for His Holy Spirit which, if one will stop, look and listen to Him, reveals the real truth to the matters some find so confusing. I cannot imagine trying to do this thing called "life" without His Spirit in me ENABLING me and WILLING me to do the wonderful works which He had set before me, before the foundation of the Earth - despite my "sheepish" desires and crooked neck!

Thank you for continuing to lift us up with revelations from His word. His Spirit, indeed, will not fail us!

Keep on keepin' on, Mr. Bill! Blessings to you and yours!

Back