Acts 5

Acts 5:1: But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
Acts 5:2: And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
Acts 5:3: But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
Acts 5:4:
Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
Acts 5:5: And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

It troubles men when they read this passage of the scriptures and, it is well, that it should! The Christian is being sold a bill of rotten goods today about God. The trouble enter in with the truth that Jesus is God! The lie begins with God changed from the Old Testament, the Bible, to the New Testament, the God inspired Life Application Commentary on proper application of thde Bible.

There are truths that must be grasped here before any understanding will ever occur. Jesus is the Second Person of the Trinity of God. (Matt. 18, 20) This does not represent that there are three gods but that there is one God, represent in, not by, three persons. I cannot explain this mystery but, because God has seen fit to teach it of Himself, I can hold firmly to that truth.

God is a Holy and a Just God and He is not to be trifled with. This entire collection of writings, inspired by, a.k.a. authored by, God is for our instruction. (1Cor. 10:11) The death depicted here is the first death, the temporary death, that leads to the eternal death. This and the soon following are food for thought.

Acts 5:6: And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
Acts 5:7: And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not
knowing what was done, came in.
Acts 5:8:And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
Acts 5:9: Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
Acts 5:10: Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
Acts 5:11: And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

The Ear Ticklers, liars, will tell you that this was for then and is not for now and I will tell you to read your Bible, prayerfully, to learn the truth. God loves every single one of us but if we choose to disobey Him, we are choosing to go to Hell and He has and He will permit it.

Acts 5:12: And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
Acts 5:13: And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.
Acts 5:14: And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.)

We must learn to pay attention and to get over ourselves to enter into revival. Having a guest speaker come preach in the rented tent after the special music is not a revival! Having fifteen people come forward for salvation that are never heard from again is not a revival. The root is revive and for that to happen is for something to die! That's all I'm going to say, now think on it.

Acts 5:15: Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
Acts 5:16: There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto
Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

When we determine to obey and to follow God, people notice, because God pours out His blessings like the waters over Niagara Falls. You don't believe me? Look at the under developed countries where our Missionaries are at work.

Acts 5:17: Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation,
Acts 5:18: And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.
Acts 5:19: But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said,
Acts 5:20: Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.
Acts 5:21: And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught. But the high priest came, and they that were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.
Acts 5:22: But when the officers came, and found them not in the prison, they returned, and told,
Acts 5:23: Saying, The prison truly found we shut with all safety, and the keepers standing without before the doors: but when we had opened, we found no man within.
Acts 5:24: Now when the high priest and the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.
Acts 5:25: Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.

These men and their wives and children had devoted their very moment to living for God. This brings up the central focus for us today, we, as a people, go to serve God on Sunday Morning. The problem is that we, again, as a people, drive to the restaurant, eat, go home, take our Sunday Best off and
forget God until next Sunday.

be God does not just want our every moment, He demands it. 1Pet. 2:9: But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: (King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.))

Throughout history it has been recorded that when people have lived a devoted life to God, they have lived miraculous lives and the fact is that this is the case today. The most notable cases might be in the nations where the Missionaries work with, not so educated, people but examples live in our midst today, I have such a testimony and people are often astonished by the truth that my helicopter had been shot more than three hundred times on one mission without a single injury. The truly miraculous point is that there were six aircraft on the ground in that flight and we were all shot up that bad... without an injury.

Acts 5:26: Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
Acts 5:27: And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,
Acts 5:28: Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
Acts 5:29:Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
Acts 5:30:
The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
Acts 5:31: Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
Acts 5:32:And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
Acts 5:33: When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.

Serving God has never been a task for cowards and it has never been acceptable to the Lost Man, most of the people of this world. These men did just as God has instructed them and because they did not stop to consider the instructions of their jailers, they were covered by the protecting hand of the Father. So it is with us when we choose to submit and obey.

Acts 5:34: Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
Acts 5:35: And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
Acts 5:36: For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
Acts 5:37: After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.
Acts 5:38:And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
Acts 5:39:But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.
Acts 5:40: And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

Never allow men to lie to you. When you set off to perform any extreme mission, there is a cost. Peter and John were beaten like worthless dogs, that the Rulers might save face. God protected them from the first death, only. When I was involved in combat, my battalions mission was to serve the Infantryman and to keep him as safe as we possibly could. In spite of our faithful execution of our mission there are tens of thousands of name on the Wall in D.C. Likewise there are tens of thousands of martyrs have died for Christ. If you choose to live bravely, you might be killed for it.

Acts 5:41: And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
Acts 5:42: And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

So it is that you are instructed to make your decision, what will it be?

Nice sermon, Bill. It seems like you have a lot of experience with missionary work in developing countries. That's nice.

I have to say, however, that I have been fairly disappointed to find that churches often imply to their congregation that their missionaries could not survive without the 'tithes and offerings' of the congregation, and so it is imperative that the congregation get out and work for as much money as possible in order for the missionaries to be able to continue their work. Whereas God wants all of us to get out there on the mission field, by living by faith in Him alone (and not money). But somehow this fallacy about needing money for God's work to continue seems to be fairly widespread throughout almost all of the church world. What can we do to change that?

Nice sermon, Bill. It seems like you have a lot of experience with missionary work in developing countries. That's nice.

I have to say, however, that I have been fairly disappointed to find that churches often imply to their congregation that their missionaries could not survive without the 'tithes and offerings' of the congregation, and so it is imperative that the congregation get out and work for as much money as possible in order for the missionaries to be able to continue their work. Whereas God wants all of us to get out there on the mission field, by living by faith in Him alone (and not money). But somehow this fallacy about needing money for God's work to continue seems to be fairly widespread throughout almost all of the church world. What can we do to change that?
I agree with your reply but there is a minor contradiction in your thoughts. The number one consideration for the Christian and problem for the non-follower of Jesus is the issue of sovereignty. This is a very touchy issue and the range of opinion run the gambit, from the Calvinist to the absolute atheist. The truth is not found in the Calvinist's position but it is close to the truth.

This position does not give us the freedom, as servants, to ignore the two issues you confront here, nor does it give us the right not to work. The best thing I know to do is the course my family has taken. Both I and my adult daughter have terminal diseases and for that reason, my wife and the two of us are limited in the scope of our ministry and yet all three of us are teachers in the Church and although I live in my electric wheelchair I use the computer to reach the lost on six continents over the Internet.

As for changing other Christians minds, we are not given that task and it remains the LORD's purview. There is a benefit to all of this that also requires our due diligence that is most often persecuted. The Bible, the Word of God, teaches us to judge them by their fruits. (Matt. 7:6) The only reason I can find for the world's misuse of the first verse (Matt. 7:1) is the perceive, self, guilt because of this instruction, straight from the lips of Jesus. That leaves us, the dedicated followers, with the task of, just,doing the work.

Hi Bill,

I very much agree with your stated position on the issue of sovereignty; God is sovereign above all else. While we all have opinions, they need to be tested against the truth of the teachings of Jesus, as contained in the Bible. That's my position.

In no way, shape or form am I suggesting that anyone should not work. In fact, the Bible tells us that if any should not eat, neither should he or she eat. (I Thessalonians 2:13) The difference, however, is that I teach (as Jesus did) that people should not work for money. (Matthew 6:24) The difference lies in the motivation; I'm definitely not advocating being lazy and avoiding work.

I am elated to hear that you have chosen to rise above your physical disability, and use the Internet as a tool to promote the Kingdom message. God bless you for that.

Further, I agree that, ultimately, the Holy Spirit is responsible for changing people's 'minds'. But we can, as wise messengers of the truth, be empowered by the Holy Spirit to help convince others of the truth. That is what I believe you are doing, Bill, in almost every post you make here on this forum. And I believe it is the power of the Holy Spirit which enables us to do that same thing most effectively.

I think I'll leave it there for now.

We live in a world where to survive, one must work to make money in order to obtain the necessities of life.
Those being shelter, food, medical needs etc. Now, when a missionary actually is in a mission field, and he gives of his time, and energy to work with and help those around him, he has no time to then work a job to make money to obtain the things needed in life.

Consider also that the mission fields of the world such as they are in Africa, Hattie, Central America, and so on do not have a real economy that would allow a missionary to come in and obtain a job that would normally go to a resident there. That is of course different in America. A missionary (?) in America can actually find a job in the community he is ministering in and be bi-vocational in his persuites to serve the Lord.

Every needs the necessities of life to survive and the Scriptures actually tell us to fund the work of a called minister of God.

Every needs the necessities of life to survive and the Scriptures actually tell us to fund the work of a called minister of God.

I completely agree. I am against tithing a fixed percentage as I believe it is law. But agree that a precedent be set on giving a regular portion of salary towards a church you fellowship at, which if a good church, should do missionary work.

The last thing missionaries should have to think of is money. They have already given up so much by leaving their country, family and friends. They should be fully funded! 110% of the average income of all church members is the scripturally correct salary (10% from 11 tribes to fund 1 for full time ministry).

Bill wrote:
We live in a world where to survive, one must work to make money in order to obtain the necessities of life.

Hi Bill,

I am well aware of the ways of this world and the Prince of this world. But my question for you is, where in the Bible does Jesus say that we must work to make money in order to obtain the necessities of life? He most definitely doesn't. In fact, He says the exact opposite:

Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat of what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your Heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6: 24-34)​
Back to me... obviously food and clothes are our most basic needs; Jesus said much the same in the passage I quoted above. But note that immediately before the passage I quoted, Jesus says very plainly that we can't work for God and money at the same time, because we will love one and hate the other, be loyal to one and despise the other. The question is, which one do you love: God or money? Which one are you loyal to: God or money? Which one do you hate: God or money? Which one do you despise: God or money?

Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus tell us to work a job to make money to obtain the things needed in life. Jesus says very clearly the opposite: seek the Kingdom, and trust in the Father to look after our most basic needs. It's called living by faith. And it's what's missing in so-called "Christianity" today.

I have considered very clearly the mission fields of the world, e.g. Africa; I am a missionary in Africa. And I also know I don't need money for my needs; I need God. Sometimes God gives me money to buy the things I need, and sometimes He doesn't; either way, He provides, and I don't prostitute my time searching for money to survive on.

Let me repeat: nowhere in the Bible are Christians instructed to go out and work for money so their basic needs can be supplied. That is an extra-biblical heresy.

Something to think about:

Paul, a leading apostle appointed by Jesus Christ in His physical absence, and who recognized/identifiedd HIM personally, enjoins the real believers:

1 Cor 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Did he depend on others in expressing his LOVE for Christ? Here, Paul addressing the real believers:

Act 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Act 20:33 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.

Act 20:34 Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.

Did Jesus Christ preach the Law on Tithes in the 4 gospels?

As I read the Holy Bible, I can "see" by divine revelation Jesus Christ preached the Law on TITHES spiritually and not literally. Paul wrote:

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual ...

Bill wrote:

Hi Bill,

I am well aware of the ways of this world and the Prince of this world. But my question for you is, where in the Bible does Jesus say that we must work to make money in order to obtain the necessities of life? He most definitely doesn't. In fact, He says the exact opposite:

Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat of what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your Heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6: 24-34)​
Back to me... obviously food and clothes are our most basic needs; Jesus said much the same in the passage I quoted above. But note that immediately before the passage I quoted, Jesus says very plainly that we can't work for God and money at the same time, because we will love one and hate the other, be loyal to one and despise the other. The question is, which one do you love: God or money? Which one are you loyal to: God or money? Which one do you hate: God or money? Which one do you despise: God or money?

Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus tell us to work a job to make money to obtain the things needed in life. Jesus says very clearly the opposite: seek the Kingdom, and trust in the Father to look after our most basic needs. It's called living by faith. And it's what's missing in so-called "Christianity" today.

I have considered very clearly the mission fields of the world, e.g. Africa; I am a missionary in Africa. And I also know I don't need money for my needs; I need God. Sometimes God gives me money to buy the things I need, and sometimes He doesn't; either way, He provides, and I don't prostitute my time searching for money to survive on.

Let me repeat: nowhere in the Bible are Christians instructed to go out and work for money so their basic needs can be supplied. That is an extra-biblical heresy.
First let me offer to be a possible source for your ministry. If you will email me at [email protected] I'll give you my personal email and work to get to know you and about you ministry.

Now, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Africa is a continent full of third world countries and I can, easily, see that my intended context was missed by you. In the richest nation on the earth, the U.S., things are quite different from where you live. You living situation and it's requirements are very different from mine. I, all of the Europeans and most of the Asians in the world live in industrialized nations and in those nations one must work to meet the daily requirements for life. Toward this end, Jesus makes sure we have employment to purchase what most Africans harvest or hunt and kill. So it is that even in Africa, your people must work to provide food, garments and even water to drink.

Now, many do not understand that Jesus is the God that created everything but a cursory reading of John 1:1-3 and a small amount of prayerful meditation will enlighten the point. So it is in the first book of the Bible, Genesis, that Jesus created Adam and put him to work caring for the world. At that point, our LORD was providing food for mankind but then Adam sinned. (Gen. 3:16,17) Because Adam followed Eve and because Eve followed Satan into sin, mankind began and still does suffer being cursed by God. The man must fight the soil to eat because God cursed it and the woman suffers pain in childbirth, often leading to death, because of the part Eve payed.

I pray this helps you to understand my point better. God bless, my brother.

Hi Kweli.

Yes I agree, the motivation should not be money, rather a calling. But if you are involved full time, God expects you to survive off it. According to Malachi the ratio that pleases Him is 11/10.

What you are saying on living by faith is correct but only part of the message.
Trusting God and not worrying about tomorrow is one element. Working and not being lazy another. The need for the pastors / missionaries to support their family. Then there is also the need placed by God on the congregation to give financial support.

Luke 10:7
1 Cor 9:7
1 Tim 5:8

If missionary work is your full time profession and it does not support you and your family, you need to get a job as well. If it 'should' support you as you preach to many, then you need to improve your teaching on the need for financial support. Just like a doctor providing a service. It is obvious that a doctor working in rural Africa won't necessarily need the salary of a doctor living in New York.

When we see the preacher driving a Ferrari whilst everyone else is driving modest looking cars, we have to question the preachers. Likewise the pastors have to question us, when they are driving broken down cars and we are driving fancy cars.

If we as missionaries don't preach on the need for financial support, we are preaching short and shouldn’t be surprised if God does not provide.

Hi Bill,

I very much agree with your stated position on the issue of sovereignty; God is sovereign above all else. While we all have opinions, they need to be tested against the truth of the teachings of Jesus, as contained in the Bible. That's my position.

In no way, shape or form am I suggesting that anyone should not work. In fact, the Bible tells us that if any should not eat, neither should he or she eat. (I Thessalonians 2:13) The difference, however, is that I teach (as Jesus did) that people should not work for money. (Matthew 6:24) The difference lies in the motivation; I'm definitely not advocating being lazy and avoiding work.

I am elated to hear that you have chosen to rise above your physical disability, and use the Internet as a tool to promote the Kingdom message. God bless you for that.

Further, I agree that, ultimately, the Holy Spirit is responsible for changing people's 'minds'. But we can, as wise messengers of the truth, be empowered by the Holy Spirit to help convince others of the truth. That is what I believe you are doing, Bill, in almost every post you make here on this forum. And I believe it is the power of the Holy Spirit which enables us to do that same thing most effectively.

I think I'll leave it there for now.
As brothers in Christ, there are some points we will agree to disagree until we arrive home and then Jesus will correct all of us. May God always bless your efforts, you and yours.

Hi Kweli.

Yes I agree, the motivation should not be money, rather a calling. But if you are involved full time, God expects you to survive off it. According to Malachi the ratio that pleases Him is 11/10.

What you are saying on living by faith is correct but only part of the message.
Trusting God and not worrying about tomorrow is one element. Working and not being lazy another. The need for the pastors / missionaries to support their family. Then there is also the need placed by God on the congregation to give financial support.

Luke 10:7
1 Cor 9:7
1 Tim 5:8

If missionary work is your full time profession and it does not support you and your family, you need to get a job as well. If it 'should' support you as you preach to many, then you need to improve your teaching on the need for financial support. Just like a doctor providing a service. It is obvious that a doctor working in rural Africa won't necessarily need the salary of a doctor living in New York.

When we see the preacher driving a Ferrari whilst everyone else is driving modest looking cars, we have to question the preachers. Likewise the pastors have to question us, when they are driving broken down cars and we are driving fancy cars.

If we as missionaries don't preach on the need for financial support, we are preaching short and shouldn’t be surprised if God does not provide.
Well said!

Fil, who has said anything about 'coveting' another man's silver, gold, or clothes? Furthermore, who has said anything about not using our hands to minister?​
Bil, I'm British. I'm not African. I serve as a missionary in an African country. I know how people generally survive in first world countries; I also know how to live by faith anywhere, with or without money. (Not to say that I live entirely without using money, though I have done a number of faith-building experiments where I live without money for a set period of time, e.g. a week, as I experience God's supernatural provision while I focus my time and energy on witnessing for him, and serving other people.)​
The African nation I live in is quite developed. In fact it's the most developed in East Africa. And...​
What I'm saying is that God wants us to work – nowhere in the Bible are we instructed to be lazy – but I'm saying we need to work for God/Love, and not money. There is a difference. I hope that the discerning here can see that.​

Kweli, I would be interested to hear how things are going with you. Don't you want to start a post and keep us up to date on whats going on there? Which African country you in, Kenya?

Fil, who has said anything about 'coveting' another man's silver, gold, or clothes? Furthermore, who has said anything about not using our hands to minister?​
Bil, I'm British. I'm not African. I serve as a missionary in an African country. I know how people generally survive in first world countries; I also know how to live by faith anywhere, with or without money. (Not to say that I live entirely without using money, though I have done a number of faith-building experiments where I live without money for a set period of time, e.g. a week, as I experience God's supernatural provision while I focus my time and energy on witnessing for him, and serving other people.)​
The African nation I live in is quite developed. In fact it's the most developed in East Africa. And...​
What I'm saying is that God wants us to work – nowhere in the Bible are we instructed to be lazy – but I'm saying we need to work for God/Love, and not money. There is a difference. I hope that the discerning here can see that.​

First of all........... do not spend any time on trying to figure out what "fil" says. No one else has a clue either. We just read it and bless him and move on.

God bless you in your work!

I agree with you that God wants us to be productive in everything we do. IF we are able to to a good job (what ever that may be) then it is the blessings of God that we are well paid for that job production.

A lot of very rich people have over the years been able to fund missionaries and missionary work that most of us are totally unaware of. J.C. Penny is said to have given 90% of his income to the church and lived on 10%.

Back in the 50's a name by the name of Nelson Rockafeller gave the 1st $1 million dollars to the Southern Baptist
Cooperitive program. Both of these men were rich but they did not necessarily work for God, BUT their work in life was a blessing to God and God gets the glory for what He was able to do through them.

There are hundreds of millions of people like that all over the world. IF men did not work for money then there would not be any mission thrusts, ministry help in 3rd world countries, churches all over the world and help to the needy. We must remember that to survive and get things done in this world, we as Christians must operate in the fashion of productivity that will allow us to get things done for the glory of God.

If we go back to any period of Biblical times we will see that men worked and made income to get through life.

Remember that the father of the Jews was Abraham was the richest man of his day.
Job was one of the richest men of his day.

Hi "King J",

Thanks for your expressed interest in my work in East Africa. Because a large part of my work in social in nature, I would prefer not to go into too much detail about specifics here on this forum (although I may be willing to share more with you privately about that if you are very interested); but I can say that I am very active in a few different ministries - some more nominally Christian by definition, and others less - and I have been living by faith in Jesus for the last past eight years. (Before that I was just a Christian by name, but not truly living by faith.)

Major, I don't have a problem with accepting money (or other material rewards) for work that I do when I do it to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 9 tells me that evangelists should be able to make a living off preaching the gospel; and God does bless some people with more material wealth than others. My point is simply that money should not be our motivation for whatever we choose to do with our time. Love for God and our fellow man should be our motivation.

It is very commendable that JC Penny gave 9/10 of his income to the church, and only lived off 10%. I'm sure God will bless him for that. Of course it would be even better if we didn't know how much he gave to help the poor, because he kept his charitable works secret; but that's another sermon for a different time.

Money is a very sensitive topic; I know that if I discuss it for too long with anyone, I am bound to cause offense. Yet Jesus talked about money (after hypocrisy) more than anything else in the Gospels. He also told us that where your money is, there your heart is also. He also said that you can't work for God and money at the same time. (Matthew 6:24) He also condemned the Pharisees, and called them lovers of money. He also told us to sell all we have, and give the money to the poor. He also told us to give alms of that which we have, and all things will be clean to us. He also didn't work for money, but lived by faith instead.

What would happen, here in Africa, if more professing Christians from the UK, the US, France, and the rest of the Western world stopped working for money to support the current demonic socio-economic system, and came to Africa to help the poor practically, not worrying about how they will support their current living standards, but trusting in God to provide for their needs if they worked for Him instead? Please consider.

Back