Adapting stories for screen

The new West Side Story adaption is pretty good.
It's long though about 3 hours.

Of course it is based on Romeo and Juliet...but because its set in America, expect dancing and gun violence instead.

The new West Side Story adaption is pretty good.
It's long though about 3 hours.

Of course it is based on Romeo and Juliet...but because its set in America, expect dancing and gun violence instead.
I guess I’d rather be gunned down by a dancing cowboy than chopped up by a rampaging samurai.

I guess I’d rather be gunned down by a dancing cowboy than chopped up by a rampaging samurai.

Apparently there's an Asian adaptation called Butterfly Lovers. I am not sure what the weapons of warfare are in that one.

But the West Side Story not only had guns, it had stabbing with knives. I couldn't watch. I was like hiding my eyes whenever there was a fighting scene.

The dancing was really good though. I half expected them to break out to Michael Jackson's Beat It in an abandoned car park.
But no it was set firmly in the 1950s and all the details and costumes were very period.

If I were to criticise anything, its that the everyday dresses of all the girls were so pretty, that you could barely believe they were struggling to make a living as maids. Most women don't wear high heels, as everyday footwear or full on makeup and dress. (Which required in those days, voluminous petticoats, stockings, and foundation garments).

If you ever go to a Shakespeare play, especially a tragedy, beware of sitting or standing too close to the stage. The fake blood will get on you...it doesn't ooze I think they deliberately squirt it on the audience just to make it more dramatic/gory.

If you ever go to a Shakespeare play, especially a tragedy, beware of sitting or standing too close to the stage. The fake blood will get on you...it doesn't ooze I think they deliberately squirt it on the audience just to make it more dramatic/gory.
I'm sorry, I am hopelessly uncultured and have never been to a Shakespeare play, let alone sit up front.
Besides, I would most likely eat the raspberry jelly knowing what a sweet tooth I have. lol

I'm sorry, I am hopelessly uncultured and have never been to a Shakespeare play, let alone sit up front.
Besides, I would most likely eat the raspberry jelly knowing what a sweet tooth I have. lol
In America they don't celebrate the Bard aka William Shakespeare, it's more of a British thing. Be glad lol.

You've got Broadway instead.

I'm really keen to see Friends, the musical parody.

haha. Now that's an adaption where it doesn't matter who sings 'Smelly Cat' ...as long as they do it badly!

Watched 'A Little Princess' movie based on Frances Hodgson Burnett's children's book.
I thought it was really good. The only thing they changed was to set it in Boston instead of London, so I was a bit confused why the school was over there, considering Sara was meant to be English and her Dad originally living in India (because of the British Empire) ?!

Otherwise, it was well done and stuck close to the book.

Has anyone seen the 1993 King of the Hill?

I don't know if this was a book turned screen but it was an excellent story of a boy struggling to survive on his own in a hotel during the Depression. His Dad is away on long sales trip trying to care and support his family by selling watches. His Mom had tuberculosis and was admitted in a sanatorium. A very touching story.

It's hard to obtain the movie on dvd. I tried YouTube but only snips of it.

If anyone has suggestions on how to get old movies please let me know.

God bless you all and thank you.

It may be on Blu Ray here?…

It may be on Blu Ray here?…

Thank you, crossnote. I'll search on the net. If I could just watch the whole movie on YouTube would be fine.

I hope I can find it. 😎

I've not heard of it, sounds like an interesting story.

I do remember a children's picture book called Eloise about a bratty little rich girl who lived in the Ritz hotel, apparently without any parental supervision at all. lol

Back