Addiction (scriptures required - help please).

I've been asked to host a discussion on addiction. If anyone reading this can help, please do. I have my own personal favourites to help, but, please, if anyone reading this, has personal scripture that has inspired them/helped them to overcome ANY addiction, please feel free to post.

All contributions welcome:)

Many blessings

Annie xxx

None that specifically come to mind, but all addictions are self-centered instead of spirit-centered. They are distorted beliefs of who we think we are, and often to the point where the body/flesh has altered to accommodate the distorted belief.

Perhaps this may help you find the scripture you are looking for.

Just was directed to Luke 12:15
Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."

Greed to find validity, when in fact, the 'self' is invalid. Only the spirit is valid.

I've been asked to host a discussion on addiction. If anyone reading this can help, please do. I have my own personal favourites to help, but, please, if anyone reading this, has personal scripture that has inspired them/helped them to overcome ANY addiction, please feel free to post.
All contributions welcome:) Many blessings Annie xxx

None that specifically come to mind, but all addictions are self-centered instead of spirit-centered. They are distorted beliefs of who we think we are, and often to the point where the body/flesh has altered to accommodate the distorted belief. Perhaps this may help you find the scripture you are looking for.

Hello Annie;

When I read your thread was pleased to know you are leading this discussion. It needs to be heard. I will be back this afternoon and will respond more.
I'm praying for you, God bless you and the others who will participate in the gathering.

Hello Peter Luke;

Good point! - Self centeredness is a tough crowd and would be a good talking point in such a discussion on addiction.

I'm glad to see you again. I have always enjoyed your posts and thank you for blessing us, brother. You and your family are in my prayers.

At this writing we're doing our visitation at the Alzheimer's residency this morning. I'll be back later today.

I just wish to point out that there are many saved addicts, and many addicts that get saved. The spiritually minded can still sin, and do.
Hosting a discussion on addictions is a simple task; empathizing with those whom have experienced addiction is not.
I just want to add explaining addiction is an issue of faith to those whom have issues and are saved will not help much.
When an addict needs help, admits it, and gets it is also no guarantee.

When they quit cold turkey and stick to that decision, then and only then are they ready for the rough road to recovery.

I will be praying for you Miss Annie.

Last edited:
I just wish to point out that there are many saved addicts, and many addicts that get saved. The spiritually minded can still sin, and do.
Hosting a discussion on addictions is a simple task; empathizing with those whom have experienced addiction is not.
I just want to add explaining addiction is an issue of faith to those whom have issues and are saved will not help much.
When an addict needs help, admits it, and gets it is also no guarantee.

When they quit cold turkey and stick to that decision, then and only then are they ready for the rough road to recovery.

I will be praying for you Miss Annie.
Most don't get a chance to recover through self-will. Their own history of addiction proves that. Many have tried everything imaginable to put a stop to their addiction. Many of these finally get to a point where they totally give up trying; some die or become institutionalized by their addiction, and some get to recover by God's Grace.

In regards to the latter, many recover through a 12 Step program (based on spiritual growth). This program is based on truth, which can only be grasped by replacing any trust on self, with what they know is true. This is a way of life based on absolute honesty and truth.

In other words, many who do recover do so because they sought help from God.

Yanno I wrote a very lengthy thoughtful post, but needed to delete it. Why? The answer is so simple it confounds the many.
Everything in life is a choice. You have to WANT something bad enough to CHANGE.
Someone needs to hear this tonight as I am very compelled to say it...

God himself isn't going to make any of your commitments for you, so stop using the lack of faith as an excuse.
Everything has already been done for you on the cross so you can have that freedom of choice.

sending silent prayer

Annie Is the addiction topic specific to drugs/alcohol?? Or does it include ANY & ALL different kinds of addictions?

This specific discussion is with people recovering from drug/alcohol addictions. BUT all addictive behaviours are relevant I think.

"I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate" Romans 7:15

Apologies for not making myself clearer. Didn't have a lot of time, and just popped this post in here.

The point of the discussion is for everyone to get a chance to talk about their own issues (it's a discussion not a lecture) but what I would like to bring to it is scripture for people to read/confess, when they are going through moments of weakness.

For example,

"No temptation has enticed you that is not common to the human experience, but God is faithful and He will NOT let you be tempted beyond your ability to resist, but along with the temptation He will provide the way out as well, so that you WILL be able to endure it, without yielding and will overcome temptation with joy!" 1 Corinthians 10:13

Often, when people have such moments of weakness, they need something concrete to focus on, and there's nothing more concrete than The Word. I have found personally, that being able to focus on a particular scripture, read it, process it, pray on it, has helped carry me through such moments. Because after a while, these moments don't come so often, but when they do I need to be well prepared.

Hope this has clarified what I'm asking for x

Yanno I wrote a very lengthy thoughtful post, but needed to delete it. Why? The answer is so simple it confounds the many.
Everything in life is a choice. You have to WANT something bad enough to CHANGE.
Someone needs to hear this tonight as I am very compelled to say it...

God himself isn't going to make any of your commitments for you, so stop using the lack of faith as an excuse.
Everything has already been done for you on the cross so you can have that freedom of choice.

sending silent prayer

I would have very much liked to read your post. I hope what I have explained in my reply above, a little more about what I was asking for.

It's not about using lack of faith as an excuse. It's more about strapping on the armour of God to prevent future relapses.

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil" Ephesians 6:11

I'm all armoured up! And I've been asked to 'share' my armour with others x

Most don't get a chance to recover through self-will. Their own history of addiction proves that. Many have tried everything imaginable to put a stop to their addiction. Many of these finally get to a point where they totally give up trying; some die or become institutionalized by their addiction, and some get to recover by God's Grace.

In regards to the latter, many recover through a 12 Step program (based on spiritual growth). This program is based on truth, which can only be grasped by replacing any trust on self, with what they know is true. This is a way of life based on absolute honesty and truth.

In other words, many who do recover do so because they sought help from God.

Thanks for your comments Peter Luke.

I can only speak from my personal experience from a 12 step programme, but what I encountered was a group of thoroughly miserable people, who thought they had a disease, and in abstaining from their drug of choice were 'giving something up'. Something they wanted to do, they couldn't do.

Whereas I feel that I'm not depriving myself of anything, but embracing a life of health and wholeness. Though, I do still have mad moments when I feel the urge to relapse (I'm only human), I don't. And I'm not thoroughly miserable about it. Quite the opposite.

In no way am I disregarding the 12 step programme. And I would urge anyone reading this to try attending such a programme. Many, many people have been helped by the 12 steps. Although step 8 can make you feel particularly shakey x

This is not the site to discuss issues that are not of Christian orientation, as not to offend any minors that do not need to read about adult matters.

Thanks for your comments Peter Luke.

I can only speak from my personal experience from a 12 step programme, but what I encountered was a group of thoroughly miserable people, who thought they had a disease, and in abstaining from their drug of choice were 'giving something up'. Something they wanted to do, they couldn't do.

Whereas I feel that I'm not depriving myself of anything, but embracing a life of health and wholeness. Though, I do still have mad moments when I feel the urge to relapse (I'm only human), I don't. And I'm not thoroughly miserable about it. Quite the opposite.

In no way am I disregarding the 12 step programme. And I would urge anyone reading this to try attending such a programme. Many, many people have been helped by the 12 steps. Although step 8 can make you feel particularly shakey x
Been there done that. It works

This is not the site to discuss issues that are not of Christian orientation, as not to offend any minors that do not need to read about adult matters.
Ohhhh yes AA, NA SA, ect are base on Christian values . It's in the 12 step program. They don't use the word Jesus but use the words , GOD, and the Higher power which is God. This is a GREAT thread started by Annie. This should not offend any minors as a lot of them have addiction problems. It's not an adult matter it's a people matter. It's a Satan problem and this is 1 way to attack back. I been there back in my 20s to 30s. Guess what I won with MY Higher power. I now call that Higher power JESUS. thenami this is my very own experience :) I'm not afraid to tell it woot woot!!

Just to let you know, the discussion went really well. There were about 10 people plus me, and everyone contributed. We all talked about our various issues, and everyone left feeling uplifted and positive and 'armed' for future 'attacks'. I was feeling quite nervous about the whole thing, coz it was the first time I've ever done anything like this. But, it went really well. We are going to meet every month and continue to buoy each other up with positive thoughts, words, and scripture x

Just to let you know, the discussion went really well. There were about 10 people plus me, and everyone contributed. We all talked about our various issues, and everyone left feeling uplifted and positive and 'armed' for future 'attacks'. I was feeling quite nervous about the whole thing, coz it was the first time I've ever done anything like this. But, it went really well. We are going to meet every month and continue to buoy each other up with positive thoughts, words, and scripture x

Is OCD an addiction? Would this be considered self-serving? I know that people joke about someone being OCD but obsessive-compulsive disorder can be serious and disrupt a human's daily behavior.

I have thought of myself as OCD.

For example, if I'm hungry when its time to eat lunch or dinner, I'll remember that the trash has to be taken out, the car needs to be parked in the driveway and maybe a couple of other things. I know all can wait after I eat but many times I'll stop everything, take care of all things in its order, and then when there's nothing else that needs to be done, I'll eat my meal.

Or Hazel gets frustrated with me because I'll tell her, "it's time to go!" and so she hurries and when we are in the car backing out, I'll remember something (usually minor) and turn off the car, go back into the house and be done with it. When I come back out I can see the frustration on my wife's face.

I know this may sound humorous or silly, but I struggle with this. Talk therapy or medication can help but I don't know if what I have is serious OCD and whether I need meds.

Oh my goodness. Is OCD an addiction??

It is most definitely NOT self serving.

OCD often initially presents itself in someone needing to have control over their environment, because they have no control over what is happening to them in the real world. For example, a child in an abusive situation that they have no control over (whatever that may be) may start to try to control every other aspect of their lives. After time, this becomes a compulsive behaviour.

Basically, it is a desire to make sure that everything is going to be OK. If the person does X,Y and Z, then everything is going to be OK, and then they can get on with their lives. Until the next time.

I would not think that medication could help.

Unfortunately, the solution lies in realising that whatever we do or how hard we try to make everything perfect, STUFF happens!

Talking therapy will aim to achieve this. The thing with OCD is that, for example, we can make sure all the lights are turned off, the doors are locked, etc etc, before we leave the house, but there's still a chance that a storm will flatten the house before our return. A very, very slender chance, but STUFF still happens. And there is no way that we can have total control over every aspect of lives. STUFF still happens, regardless of all the precautions that we take.

OCD is fear, worry, and trying to take control.

It's not about taking precautions, though of course we should all take precautions when leaving the house. It's about dealing with the fear of something going wrong. And learning how to deal with things when they do go wrong.

IMO talking therapy would be a lot more valuable than taking any sort of medication. Medication that doesn't make you worry, would have you end up in my discussion group XXX

Back