Advice on prayer, please.

I have a praying problem.
Holding others in prayer, I have various levels of faith in the answer.
1. For two years, now, one of my grandchildren has fallen out with her Mother. I don't know the details, but it goes so far that letters sent by my daughter are returned unopened. Although she may admit that she was perhaps not blameless in the first instance, my daughter is worried to distraction.
In England next Sunday (11.03.2018) is Mothering Sunday when cards are sent and visits made, so my ardent prayer has been that some truce may be made, and I have every expectation that it will. So praises be.
However, thoughts are turned to Luke 12:51-53, and who am I to pray against Jesus' purposes ?

2. I suppose that we all pray for our children and their individual beliefs and salvation. My remaining three children, (now each very adult), I consider to be strong in the Faith, but I still pray for them, and that gives me pause for thought when I read Luke 16:19-31. Admittedly, here the prayerful requests were to Abraham, but it still makes me wonder, what degree of faith may we assume in the results of our prayers for others ?

3. You may notice that I referred to the remaining three children. That is because one of our sons was drowned when he was sixteen years old, and it is possible to associate prayer for him and his prayer for us with the latter situation.

Prayers for others ????

Hey, Smiler, it's so great to see you again! I'm sorry to hear about your one of your grandchild.

Prayer. Prayer changes things, indeed, but things change prayer too. Prayer is sometimes a fine chipping tool against marble. It takes time and requires the recipient to acknowledge God's role in our lives. As these prayers chip away at the unfruitfulness in our lives, a beautiful work of art emerges giving God the glory. Other times, prayer is a blasting cap, ready to move mountains in order to get people to give God acknowledgement. This week, 2.2 million people lost power - me included - from Superstorm Reily. Though we only lost electricity for 18 hours, many have been out for days. We only had high winds and living in the forest begs a lot of prayer for the trees around us. We came through without a scratch and I give that glory to God, and our neighbors were blessed also because of our prayers. Today I read Proverbs 1:22-31 which seems so apropos concerning the events of the last few days. In other words, life brings choices and those choices bring blessings or cursings. Deuteronomy 28 spells that out. The UN is all out against Israel, and Netanyahu arrived in DC today. I believe this "cyclone bomb" as they called it was a warning from God to Pres. Trump and the UN to leave Israel alone because there are reports that the US is deciding possibly to declare East Jerusalem as Palestine's capital (Report: US Peace Plan to Include East Jerusalem as Palestinian Capital). Even with our prayers, we couldn't stop the storms negative impact. The EU has also been warned with its great Siberian storm because they are siding against Israel (EU Sees ‘Eye to Eye’ With Arab League on ‘Palestine’ and Jerusalem).

Things change prayer. That is, prayer will not override one's pride or free will, Proverbs and Deuteronomy show that. In other words brother, there is a cause and an effect, but prayer will overcome, even if it's through the recipient's destruction or blessing.

1. For two years, now, one of my grandchildren has fallen out with her Mother. I don't know the details, but it goes so far that letters sent by my daughter are returned unopened. Although she may admit that she was perhaps not blameless in the first instance, my daughter is worried to distraction.
In England next Sunday (11.03.2018) is Mothering Sunday when cards are sent and visits made, so my ardent prayer has been that some truce may be made, and I have every expectation that it will. So praises be.
However, thoughts are turned to Luke 12:51-53, and who am I to pray against Jesus' purposes ?

2. I suppose that we all pray for our children and their individual beliefs and salvation. My remaining three children, (now each very adult), I consider to be strong in the Faith, but I still pray for them, and that gives me pause for thought when I read Luke 16:19-31. Admittedly, here the prayerful requests were to Abraham, but it still makes me wonder, what degree of faith may we assume in the results of our prayers for others ?

3. You may notice that I referred to the remaining three children. That is because one of our sons was drowned when he was sixteen years old, and it is possible to associate prayer for him and his prayer for us with the latter situation.

Prayers for others ????
1. You can pray Gods wills be done in your daughter and grandchilds lives. Sometimes the mother daughter bond can be more intense than you realise...and sometimes separation is necessary. You didnt say if your grandchild was the son or daughter...or if the grandchild is married. But if you pray Gods will for both then He will work it out for both of them whats best.

2. Praying parents are a blessing to their children, dont give up. The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Also you dont know if other people are praying for them too. Dont assume but just let God work it out! Job was blessed more than he was before when he prayed for his friends.

3. If your son knew the Lord he is with Him and at peace. Ask God for comfort and assurance in that area. Even if our loved ones did not know Him, God is good that He is just in every situation. I am always surprised that in many situations God knows who is His even amidst tragedy. The thing is in this world many people die before their time because its a fallen world. Sometimes the righteous are taken to remove them from the wicked.

Praying also brings YOU closer to God. Sometimes it wont change the other person in the way we would like but somehow prayer changes us. Prayer is like incense to Our Father God a sweet savour and He loves hearing His children. Take all your cares and concerns to Him for He cares for you.

Prayers for others ????

Hi smiler,

As I read your post I am prompted to share with you my own testimony. Several years ago (about 9) the devil caused a division between my children and myself. A few years in The Father gave me a couple of verses to stand upon for them and their return to Him. I also prayed ps 91 over them and kept thanking Him for restoration, trusting Him to bring peace to their hearts and help them to desire what He desires for them.. which is not bitterness or unforgiveness towards anyone, especially their family. A few years ago I also began to thank The Father for granting unto them the gift of repentance.

The passage in luke that you refer to I believe is Jesus talking about salvation. There will be many parents saved and children not and vice versa. But this by no means, means that we should pray against our family or others.. or not pray for their peace and joy and all things good. For we know by so many other passages in the Bible that The Father's will is for peace and love to reign in all of our lives, so that He may bless us.

As you stand on the promises of Adonai for your children and grandchildren that are here on this earth... you are enabling Father to bring laborers into the lives of others that you pray for, and you are enabling His involvement in their lives. Yes they still have free will, but as Fathers desire is for them to walk in love with everyone... and His Holy Spirit is what dwells within them giving them the power and desire to do what pleases Him (Phil 2:13 ampc) His will, will be accomplished in their lives eventually. It may take some time... but Fathers will is always accomplished when a prayer prayed in faith is involved.

I think the enemy is trying to get you to stop praying for reconciliation between your daughter and granddaughter. Because he knows if no one is praying and believing.. he can bring about some stealing, killing, and destroying.

My dad was deceived into praying a hedge of thorns around my brother because of his behavior and drinkin about 25 years ago... and not long after he began to do that... my brother committed suicide. So please continue to always pray good things inline with the Scripture and Fathers loving character over your family. 2 out of 3 of my children have been restored to me and one is diligently seeking Him in her and her families life. If it had not been for prayers prayed in faith and standing on His Word... Adonai could not have brought healing and peace to them. As we obediently intercede for those we are prompted to pray for... it opens the door for Father to move and have His way in their lives. He loves them so much more than we ever could... so He is very pleased to have someone here on earth asking and Thanking Him for the opportunity to intervene for their salvation in every area of their lives.

We must always remember that we are the Father's mouthpiece on this earth. If we don't pray and speak His Words... He will not have the capability to work in the lives of the ones He prompts us to pray for.

We will be praying and standing with you for repentance, restoration, love and grace in you and your children's lives. In Jesus Name, Amen

Love and blessings full of favor to you all
FCJ and Cturtle

Abdicate, you have reminded me of the way that the answers to our prayers is a definite proof of the Father's presence, and that time is one of the main considerations in the effectiveness of faith-filled prayer.
Lanolin, you have made me realise that the Luke 12:51-53 verses do not mean that our prayers for individuals are ineffective. Jesus' sayings point to the whole of creation, while we are praying for individuals, and not the rest of the world.
I should point out that our second son was taken Home 43 years ago, and we are happy for him, believing that otherwise things would have been worse and not as God willed.
FCJ and Cturtle, I am most grateful for the testimony which makes one feel less unique and more humble, and reminds us of our Father's reaction and His dealing with prayers.

Overall, I have re-assembled my belief in the power of prayer. Prayer involves that basic item, Thought, and it is Thought which controls and steers the power in the Universe. With the Holy Spirit at the helm, energy can be directed into all Truth, and we can know that we pray the right thoughts and have faith in Father's providence.

May we and those for whom we pray be blessed.

Back