Afterlife And Faith.

Hi there. First and foremost, I want to express my thanks to everybody for making this website a place I can find not only feedback, but friends as well.

I started working at a hospital roughly 3 months ago. Constantly seeing dead people has made me really start questioning my faith for some reason. I just cannot stand the thought of not being, "conscious" or "alive" and that once you die, that's it.

I was raised in a Lutheran family, and attend church, and consider myself a Christian, however I am in a "second guessing" stage. I frequently have been having thoughts about what if there really is no God, and human life is nothing but pointless. I don't really know how to get into this rut that I seem to be in, but i know it has been hampering my daily thoughts for about the last couple weeks or so. I keep juggling with the question if there is truly[ an afterluife Any help would be greatly appreciated, and also, pray for me!

Crow88,

Praying.

You feel that way because mortality is unnatural. We were not made to die. With that said, the bible teaches there is hope.

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

1 Corinthians 15:52
in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

1 Corinthians 15:54
So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Also be weary of spiritualism. The dead do not come back to visit loved ones or "watch over us" If you ever see something like that, your not looking at a loved one but a demon in human form. I believe spiritualism will be one of the great last deceptions of Satan.

God bless,
MoG

Last edited:
Take comfort in these words

Phil 1:23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better;

What does Paul mean by depart? He means death

2Tim 4:6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.
2Tim 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;

Greetings:

If you've kept the faith to your demise,,you will get to know Christ Jesus personally.(He) asked,do you love me.Since you've
tried to match (His) attributes,you can feel his being weaving into your spirit,and can't wait to perfect them.I can list five of them I
want to perfect.Why don't you list five attributes that you want to blossom as a big fat rose when your cross through those pearly gates.

bye

Why has seeing dead people shaken your faith? Were you not aware that practically everyone dies?
Are you not aware that death is a cessation of physical (bodily) life, but has nothing to do with your
spiritual life?
When I was about 15 my grandmother died. I had no desire to go to the funeral, but was asked to do so by family.
At the viewing, what impressed me most was that I knew my grandmother was not there. I could sense that
the body was empty and my grandmother was elsewhere.

Why does empty clay terrify you so?

Hi, Criow.
It's common for theists to struggle with doubts at some point.

Despite being thrown back by mortality like you have been, or from some convincing argument or integrity of an atheist, or just not being able to understand the logic behind God's existence, let me say there is indeed logic behind His existence.

Many theologians for centuries have been incredible defenders of God through reason and logic.

When I was younger and struggled with doubt, I found out about St. Thomas Aquinas' Quinque Viae (Latin for "The Five Ways"). It's a breakdown for the reasoning of God's existence. Click HERE to review it. It's worth a look.

Granted, he's not the only one who has provided incredible arguments for God's existence -- Augustine, Justin Martyr, and even more recent apologists like C.S. Lewis and William Lane Craig provide incredible reasons to explain why it is far more reasonable to believe in the existence of God (and not just any god, but God from the Bible).

Prayer is always a good idea. But I can understand if your thought is "Why pray if I may be praying to no one?" It's good that you are still hanging onto your faith -- you haven't yet lost it. Continue to pray, and pray for help that you may see Him clearer, whether it be from reasoning or something only you could see.

Mortality is intimidating, but don't allow it to hold sway over the truth. There's far more than just the physical. How could the physical even simply be without the metaphysical?

Hi Criow. I'm gonna take a guess here, and you tell me if I'm right.

I too have seen a person die and was struck by how uneventful it can be. You stop breathing, and that's it. It's not like the movies where there's a beam of light from the sky, beautiful music, etc. It just....ends. So from a visual/physical perspective, it really does look like "we just die and that's it".

I can't imagine what it's like to see that sort of thing all the time like you described.

Is that what's bugging you?

@RiverJordan; More or less, I would say that would be an accurate way of describing what I'm going through...It's almost as if my doubts and questions about my faith are directly related to some sort of "death anxiety" I have been suffering ever since I started my job. It's quite strange to explain. I'm not saying it "hampers" me down on a daily basis. but seems to be constantly on my mind.

@RiverJordan; More or less, I would say that would be an accurate way of describing what I'm going through...It's almost as if my doubts and questions about my faith are directly related to some sort of "death anxiety" I have been suffering ever since I started my job. It's quite strange to explain. I'm not saying it "hampers" me down on a daily basis. but seems to be constantly on my mind.

What do you do at the hospital?

I work security. We sign bodies out of the morgue to funeral homes. I don't mind doing it, but it has brought on some of the issues I discussed previously in this thread.

Criow,

Wow, I guess you do see death all the time!

In the OP, you said, "I just cannot stand the thought of not being, "conscious" or "alive" and that once you die, that's it. " In the other thread, you said you feel God's presence. So how, knowing God exists, do you think that when you die, "that's it"? What you see at your job is the physical aspect of our existence, right? You see our bodies. But God and the afterlife are spiritual, right?

Hi there. First and foremost, I want to express my thanks to everybody for making this website a place I can find not only feedback, but friends as well.

I started working at a hospital roughly 3 months ago. Constantly seeing dead people has made me really start questioning my faith for some reason. I just cannot stand the thought of not being, "conscious" or "alive" and that once you die, that's it.

I was raised in a Lutheran family, and attend church, and consider myself a Christian, however I am in a "second guessing" stage. I frequently have been having thoughts about what if there really is no God, and human life is nothing but pointless. I don't really know how to get into this rut that I seem to be in, but i know it has been hampering my daily thoughts for about the last couple weeks or so. I keep juggling with the question if there is truly[ an afterluife Any help would be greatly appreciated, and also, pray for me!

The devil's ultimate goal is to drag as many of the children of Adam with him to the hell-fire as he can.

From disbelieving to worshiping more then one god, to committing big sins without repenting, to making you doubt God's ability to forgive a certain sin.

His mission is doubt, doubt, and more doubt. Hold on to what makes you believe, everytime you feel doubt remind yourself of everything that you have learned, felt, and gone through that has made you believe in His majesty.

Made a prayer when you were young and it was answered almost right away? Prayed to your lord and felt this tingle running down your spine and this fulfilled sensation in your heart?

The complexity of the human body and mind? How every cell works perfectly in synch in a complex system that we are barely able to understand if at all?

Remind yourself of these things, learn more about God and His guidance through the scriptures He Has sent.

By doing so you will build a defense from the lies of satan and be protected from mans biggest enemy.

Doubt.

when your spiritual lamp seems to be waning, add oil ..
make time everyday to grow spiritually ..
reading Scripture everyday then praying is a good place to start ..
and when you do that, God will then speak to your heart, which will displace doubts ..
darkness of doubt, is only a lack of the light of truth ..

For me, seeing dead people makes me grasp how fragile our lives are. If God was not protecting us right now, we could die so easily.

I would expect seeing dead people to prompt someone to find God. Surely the significant difference between seeing a living person and then a dead one helps belief in them having a spirit?

Back