Am I A Failure For Failing To Complete A Fast?

@ Major: Thank you...it's hard sometimes; Satan loves to tell me that I am not good enough for God and that I am not truly saved. This is something I struggle with quite a bit. You mentioned: This is after he was saved. He is telling us that we will always struggle with the onld natue which is SIN. Does that mean we will struggle with temptation though only? What about those that state we are "new" when we give ourselves to Christ and are to be Christlike and free from sin?
"Redemtion happens the moment you place your faith and acceptance in the Lord Jesus Christ. He saves your soul from eternal damnation" Am I truly saved? What if I continue to sin? Aren't there different beliefs on this? Sorry for the questions I just struggle a lot with these things as a beginner...

@Stan: Thank you so much for that scripture and sharing! :)

@Rumely: This goes along perfectly with this weeks Weekly Wisdom: http://www.christnotes.org/ww.php
If your prayer, confession, and plea for forgiveness are honest and sincere, you are doing it right.Why do I think I am not good enough and question if I am sincere enough even though I feel I am? I am constantly comparing myself to other Christians in that sense. Thank you so very much for your kind words and encouragement, they truly spoke to my heart. I just hope that I will stop beating myself for not changing overnight.

@Dirtyrottensinner: I certainly prayed about why I would fast and my main reason was to develop a close relationship with Him that I had never experienced before. Also, I gave up other things for fasting as well and along the way have given up more and more and am finding it much easier than I thought as well as extremely benificial to my relationship with Him. I guess I suspected that the ultimate sacrifice would be the one thing we think we need more than anything..food, when really we only need Him.

Greetings,

I am newly saved, but have always had a relationship with God. Today, I attempted a 40 day fast with just fruits, vegetables, water, and going off my medication, Adderall. By 2PM I failed and binged on food. I must stop and say that I also struggle with anorexia and bulimia for which I have been praying about over and over. **I began reading the bible and pray as often as I can. I listen almost entirely to Christian music. I am now interested in only dating Christian men. I go to a Christian ministry for eating disorders (although I haven't gone in about a month because of my eating disorder) and I just completed a woman's bible study.

I thought that somehow, someway God would heal me of this. I thought the fast would be good and an amazing challenge because I have binged on food so much. I kneel before him and pray. I pray before I have started a binge. Why can I not overcome this?

Yesterday at church I approached a lady by the name of Ruth who was so kind as to talk and pray with me. She said very clearly that God is going to use me to bring people closer to him, which is something I actually think is the case as well. However, I feel that I am at a complete standstill with this eating disorder.

My purpose for the fast was to become extremely close to the Lord. Only focus on Him and develop a relationship with Him that I never thought was possible. Though I failed, caved, binged and purged.

Thoughts?
Also, Is it not a good idea to do a fruit and vegetable fast the first time you attempt one?
First, stop with the dating of men. Second, your attempt at a 40 day fast is too extreme. Go slow. Try one meal one day. During your mealtime fast (30-45 minutes) read the Scriptures, preferably the New Testament. The next time you have desire to fast try two meals in succession. Again, during these mealtimes read the Scripture. The next time three meals in a day (24 hours) and read the Scripture. You must bring your body under submission. And a 40 day fast for a young believer is not wise. When I was being discipled I was instructed to fast every Monday all day. And since I was under discipleship and could not leave the home, nor was there someone to cook the food, my fast was more controlled for me. Tuesday morning I would (have) break-fast and eat three times a day until Monday rolled around and I would fast all day that day again.
Yes, you failed, because you set too large a goal for yourself. Start small.

If your disorder is not eating, why are you aggrevating it by fasting? Please consider your health. You may find that fresh food from the garden can be quite a revelating experience. Too many of today's processed foods and the current culture encourage gorging ourselves with unhealthy foods. Take it from me that enjoying a salad picked from your garden, without pesticides and harmful chemicals can bring so many positive effects and strengthen your relationship with God. After all, who do you think put them their to begin with!

Just a quick update. I was praying for a long time in my bed last night and I just felt that God was giving me commands to get rid of my Adderall. The command would not leave my head. It was perpetuating my every thought. I then stopped crying (I was thinking about my sins, my family situation, you know how it goes :)), and suddenly got fearful of loosing the one thing that got me through college, has kept me thin and in great shape, helps me get out of bed and start my day. Then I felt God was telling me (just a feeling, not words) that all I need is Him. I am not dependent on this medication but Him alone.

I then started to tell myself that maybe I really do need to be on it, because hey, I have ADD, right? Then I realized that I was justifying my usage of the medication and although I don't abuse it, I certainly don't primarily use it for ADD. Who knows if I even have it.

Anyhow, I went back and forth, telling myself that maybe the devil was trying to get me to rid myself of this drug. Suddenly, I realized it wasn't Satan telling me, so I got up at 3:45AM and flushed all of my Adderall down the toilet.:eek:

I'm quitting cold turkey and this is going to be h***, if you know what it's like to quit speed without weaning off, but I think I can do it. If I can't, my psychiatrist is going to put me back on it for a bit.

Your prayers are much appreciated during this time.

I done lots of fasts and it is very important to begin gradually. Begin with a sunrise to sunset fast or 16 hour like Agricola recomended, drinking only water and juice and then try doing a dinner to dinner fast and then work up to a day, two day and so on.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Weeelll, my fast is over. Got back on Facebook today. First post was bringing light to my situation and focusing on the Lord. Already getting asked out by guys. Not liking that part-Temptation sucks. I really need to stay focused on God during this transition so I don't get sucked back into the world. I know it sounds silly that I would even be concerned about this, but temptation is very much embedded in social media. Temptation to look a certain way, temptation to want certain things, to be like this person or that person. Anyhow, I'm going to use it as sparingly as possible.Hopefully.

Ron, unfortunately I can't do that. Eating disorder prevents me from healthily going on any sort of food fast. Once I have conquered that, I will attempt a Daniels fast or what Adonaicole suggested.

Weeelll, my fast is over. Got back on Facebook today. First post was bringing light to my situation and focusing on the Lord. Already getting asked out by guys. Not liking that part-Temptation sucks. I really need to stay focused on God during this transition so I don't get sucked back into the world. I know it sounds silly that I would even be concerned about this, but temptation is very much embedded in social media. Temptation to look a certain way, temptation to want certain things, to be like this person or that person. Anyhow, I'm going to use it as sparingly as possible.Hopefully.

Ron, unfortunately I can't do that. Eating disorder prevents me from healthily going on any sort of food fast. Once I have conquered that, I will attempt a Daniels fast or what Adonaicole suggested.

Be careful on facebook Tink.... Do you know that MANY people 'fall' because of the internet? I have an ex-wife because of the internet-take heed to yourself-tread lightly.

That goes for EVERYBODY....

Why do you think the Lord says to fellowship with the same sex-not the opposite sex? Then again in this day in age.....:D

Weeelll, my fast is over. Got back on Facebook today. First post was bringing light to my situation and focusing on the Lord. Already getting asked out by guys. Not liking that part-Temptation sucks.
Would you like me to send you a photo of me to put on your face book page? They do have avita-ish things don't they. I can assure you that the dating invites would definitely stop then and there.:D

I want a CHRISTIAN MAN...why are all the Christian men taken it seems?!! Why are the ones who aren't taken seemingly wanting 22 year olds (Christianmingle.com). I get asked out by good, handsome men who aren't' Christian then tells me to give him a chance and it's hard. Especially when I bring up going to church and they're like "Yes, I'll go with you. I've been wanting to go" blah blah blah, but I don't feel they are doing it for the right reasons. I've yet to bring one. I turn down men all the time who aren't Christian and it seems like at church, they are ALL taken. No sob story here, but I'm pushin' 30 fellas.

Calv, what on earth is avita-ish things???

Dirty, yes, a lot of these guys I've known for years and some are friends. I guess in essence, they all kind of are. I tell you this though, the moment I get married, my husband and I are sharing a Facebook account. No individual stuff. I can't tell you how many men who are married and have girlfriends that have sent me messages wanting to talk, meet up, or things that are downright inappropriate. Honestly, I think there are so few good men out there it's not even funny. Even Christian men cheat!!

You really never know who you're going to end up with. Scary.

I want a CHRISTIAN MAN...why are all the Christian men taken it seems?!! Why are the ones who aren't taken seemingly wanting 22 year olds (Christianmingle.com). I get asked out by good, handsome men who aren't' Christian then tells me to give him a chance and it's hard. Especially when I bring up going to church and they're like "Yes, I'll go with you. I've been wanting to go" blah blah blah, but I don't feel they are doing it for the right reasons. I've yet to bring one. I turn down men all the time who aren't Christian and it seems like at church, they are ALL taken. No sob story here, but I'm pushin' 30 fellas.

Dirty, yes, a lot of these guys I've known for years and some are friends. I guess in essence, they all kind of are. I tell you this though, the moment I get married, my husband and I are sharing a Facebook account. No individual stuff. I can't tell you how many men who are married and have girlfriends that have sent me messages wanting to talk, meet up, or things that are downright inappropriate. Honestly, I think there are so few good men out there it's not even funny. Even Christian men cheat!!

All the more reason for a full year of courtship followed by a full year of devotion to each other after marriage-you make it two years-you can make 80...:D

I now know the formula-unfortunately I never lived it...

All the more reason for a full year of courtship followed by a full year of devotion to each other after marriage-you make it two years-you can make 80...:D

I now know the formula-unfortunately I never lived it...

What happened if you don't mind me asking? If you'd rather PM, I understand. Two years being good is tough, but possibly doable. Most true Christians I've seen who "wait" get married rather quickly....

Say!.....is that you in your Avatar? You certainly were a little cuttie,.... aye! (more Oz)
I don't cheat:) can't figure out how to avoid being caught out at it.:(:D.
Seriously, there are probably as many women who cheat as there are men. After all it takes two to tango.
The hard lesson is don't compromise.......but don't be ruthless either.
I was going with a girl way back before I was a Christian but she was. I tried to go to church with her because I seriously wanted to bed her. But it just couldn't work out for us. The fact that I did become a Christian about 10 years later would not cancel out the hurt and the harm that each of us might have sustained had I had my amorous way with her.
Then again, who knows? If this girl had been a bit less rigid, without compromising her standards, I might have been led to Christ a bit sooner, and then, who knows... she might even have become Mrs. calvin. I think for me, I would have been happy enough with some affection without the other, but that rigid standoffish thing was not what I wanted.
It is hard for a non Christian guy to understand that he is just not good enough. But if he is not good enough for the Lord, then he is not good enough for you.

What happened if you don't mind me asking? If you'd rather PM, I understand. Two years being good is tough, but possibly doable. Most true Christians I've seen who "wait" get married rather quickly....

Not sure if I understand the question? I am assuming it is about my personal relationship(s)? How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go Alice? (keep in mind my tag: dirtyrottensinner)

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I can answer more factually; but if I recall correctly, the 2 year bench mark is more of a 'traditional' mindset- not a commandment. 1 year of courtship (dating-whatever) pre marriage and 1 year of of post marriage devotion to solidify the relationship. And the first year is 100% hands-off; need I clarify?

Is it wrong to marry before 12 months-no-but you better be 100% before you say "I do" and for those who are 'pure' you only give away your virginity once.

I told my Pastor I was a 'born again virgin' after my first year of involuntary celibacy (or it could be voluntary dependent upon your perspective) -he never did really respond to that....

Why do people think 2 years is a long time...Ahhh yes-that thing called 'youth' that I squandered...

Say!.....is that you in your Avatar? You certainly were a little cuttie,.... aye! (more Oz)
I don't cheat:) can't figure out how to avoid being caught out at it.:(:D.
Seriously, there are probably as many women who cheat as there are men. After all it takes two to tango.
The hard lesson is don't compromise.......but don't be ruthless either.
I was going with a girl way back before I was a Christian but she was. I tried to go to church with her because I seriously wanted to bed her. But it just couldn't work out for us. The fact that I did become a Christian about 10 years later would not cancel out the hurt and the harm that each of us might have sustained had I had my amorous way with her.
Then again, who knows? If this girl had been a bit less rigid, without compromising her standards, I might have been led to Christ a bit sooner, and then, who knows... she might even have become Mrs. calvin. I think for me, I would have been happy enough with some affection without the other, but that rigid standoffish thing was not what I wanted.
It is hard for a non Christian guy to understand that he is just not good enough. But if he is not good enough for the Lord, then he is not good enough for you.

I've dated non Christian men and given them a chance due to your exact thinking (they might come around..I can plant a seed) and it never ever worked out. They never came around. Then I had several women in my women's ministry tell me to run far, far away from a man that is not spiritually equal to me, if not more than me. So I'm definitely torn on the issue. If I was younger, I would take more chances with men, but at my age I don't want to waste my time waiting around for a man that begins to accept Christ and then goes through what I'm going through right now. It's not easy. That's also best case scenario. Worst case scenario they never come around and I've wasted years of my life with a man who never fully excepted Christ.

I've dated non Christian men and given them a chance due to your exact thinking (they might come around..I can plant a seed) and it never ever worked out. They never came around. Then I had several women in my women's ministry tell me to run far, far away from a man that is not spiritually equal to me, if not me. So I'm definitely torn on the issue. If I was younger, I would take more chances with men, but at my age I don't want to waste my time waiting around for a man that begins to accept Christ and then goes through what I'm going through right now. It's not easy. That's also best case scenario. Worst case scenario they never come around and I've wasted years of my life with a man who never fully excepted Christ.

Stick to your guns girl! God will see...

Back