Am I faking my depression or are internet users just manipulating me?

For some of you who don’t know already, I have depression and was left undiagnosed. And I know my symptoms: lack of motivation, easily irritable, lack of interest in anything, feeling sad or worse every day, never wanting to socialize, etc.

But recently I’d come to question my “self-diagnosis”. Because I’ve seen plenty of videos on the internet of people getting angry at teens and young adults “faking” mental health disorders on TikTok shorts. (One of the commentaries are in the link below) Many people who are against self-diagnosis will rant over how they are just a bunch of whiny attention-craving neurotypicals who “glorify” mental health to manipulate young children (and why it needed to stop) and are too incompetent to have the facts buckled up in them. These commentaries have led me to believe that maybe I’m faking depression. Or maybe these commentators are lying and I should be concerned over my mental health. In short, I don’t know who or what to believe. I feel like I’m falling in a downhill spiral, and I’m being trapped in the “whiny privileged people” category.

Any support will help. Thank you.

Of course you know we are spiritual beings. Look around and see all the crazy things people are doing. These behaviors are a result of spiritual influences. The battle you are in is not you alone. Once a person recognizes this we are better equipped to deal with it. It seems you can count yourself blessed because, you might be taking punches but you are not down for the count. You know where the strength lays, lay hold of it with a death grip and don't let the enemy turn you away. Who knows but the intensity of your battle may be preparing you for some special work.
Press on brother.

The sad truth is that SOME people have faked illnesses to make an excuse for poor behavior, this in turn has caused added hardship to those who actually have a mental disorder. At one point doctors seemed to want to put any kid who had a daydream on adderall. If you have not been to a doctor to be properly diagnosed, you should go and get the help you need, otherwise the people who question you will always be in your head. Pray and ask God to guide you in this matter. I am still praying for you. God is with you always.

The sad truth is that SOME people have faked illnesses to make an excuse for poor behavior, this in turn has caused added hardship to those who actually have a mental disorder. At one point doctors seemed to want to put any kid who had a daydream on adderall. If you have not been to a doctor to be properly diagnosed, you should go and get the help you need, otherwise the people who question you will always be in your head. Pray and ask God to guide you in this matter. I am still praying for you. God is with you always.
I feel the main issue is that the people who are faking mental illnesses have Muchausen syndrome (I might be spelling it incorrectly), which is a rare and hard-to-diagnose mental disorder. And to clarify faking disorders as attention seeking and craving for special treatment is harmful. Sadly many people treat these particular types of illnesses as something to be laughed at and mocked. Muchausen is also a very serious disability and should be no laughing matter.

I agree it is not a laughing matter. I have a nephew with ADHD and another with Aspergers and a grandson with Autism. I do not like it when people downplay the seriousness of mental disorders. However, if you feel you have a disorder then you should seek professional help and follow through with whatever therapy or medication they prescribe. Mental disorders should not be ignored, there is help available.

You need to go to a doctor to get a diagnosis. They may give you anti-depressants to relieve the symptoms.
If you have PTSD that is similar to depression but I think you can have both (they call it comorbidity?!)
I am not a doctor so cannot diagnose you. But if you can't get out of bed, have negative thoughts a lot, and have low energy a lot of the time those are symptoms of depression. PTSD is another matter where you may have triggers or flashbacks of a trauma.

People who don't know what to call it don't understand that is is something you can recover from and not part of your personality.
Please look after yourself and do the best you can to get help/appropriate treatment. Also have faith that God can heal you.

Back