An Indepth Bible Study In The Book Of Genesis.

There is also the fact that when God 'says'.....it happens. God the Father speaks creation into existence.
If this is so, then V26 is the divine creative command and V27 speaks of the fulfilment of that command. Then there is a recognition of the actual fulfilment of the divine command in V29.
This in no way diminishes the vital involvement of the Holy Spirit in accomplishing the divine command, nor the Son's active role in creation.
It is indeed awe inspiring to see that when our God speaks it; it is sure to come to be.

This is so true Calvin. I also wonder just how much validity there is to what we speak. Having said that, I also wonder just what would my frame of mind have to be in order for what I speak to actually come about. Certainly not if my mind is on something that would gratify my flesh. Since you and I are created in God's likeness, wouldn't it stand to reason that if I was full of the Holy Spirit, seeking only to bring glory to the Father and His Son Jesus, that what I speak would come about?

This is so true Calvin. I also wonder just how much validity there is to what we speak. Having said that, I also wonder just what would my frame of mind have to be in order for what I speak to actually come about. Certainly not if my mind is on something that would gratify my flesh. Since you and I are created in God's likeness, wouldn't it stand to reason that if I was full of the Holy Spirit, seeking only to bring glory to the Father and His Son Jesus, that what I speak would come about?

Silk --------> saying Maranatha (grin)

I think so Chopper, after all Jesus did say, " If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it will it will be done for you"(John 15:7). And, "So Jesus answered and said to them, have faith in God. For assuredly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, be removed and be cast into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them(Mark 11:22-24).

Thank you my good friend Big Moose and those of you who have replied. My Son Skip, of whom the two of us are very close. Not only because he is my son, but especially because he is such a godly man. If you think of him, please pray for his healing or whatever our Lord has planned for him. Last week, he suffered a stroke and is hurting. I'm so proud that my Son followed a lot of what he saw in me but unfortunately, demonic forces cause him a lot of trials just like his dad.

I have two children, my Daughter Peggy and Son Skip. Both are godly people and have ten children between them and all are serving the Lord either in training or on their jobs. Thank you Big Moose, His Grace is sufficient for me otherwise I would have given up long ago....I love you all, and thank you for being kind to this old wounded soldier of the Lord.

I just wanted to encourage you. Letting you know that you are among the many great many men of God who have been attacked for the gospel's sake. I was praying, one night asking God why some things were happening, and was led to a sermon that let me know that when people are preaching the good news of Jesus, and ministering in a capacity to be used by the anointing to set people free, the enemy sends the attacks to try to stop the gospel from being preached by trying to get us to concentrate on what is going on in our bodies or with our families. The enemy will try anything to try to get us to step over into unbelief or just plain destroy what we believe to be true of God's character and what the Word of God says.
I will continue to cover you in prayer. I apologize for interrupting this study. Blessings of grace and peace be yours in abundance!

I just wanted to encourage you. Letting you know that you are among the many great many men of God who have been attacked for the gospel's sake. I was praying, one night asking God why some things were happening, and was led to a sermon that let me know that when people are preaching the good news of Jesus, and ministering in a capacity to be used by the anointing to set people free, the enemy sends the attacks to try to stop the gospel from being preached by trying to get us to concentrate on what is going on in our bodies or with our families. The enemy will try anything to try to get us to step over into unbelief or just plain destroy what we believe to be true of God's character and what the Word of God says.
I will continue to cover you in prayer. I apologize for interrupting this study. Blessings of grace and peace be yours in abundance!
Oh my dear Sister.I had forgotten all about concentrating on my hurting old body. Selfishly, I have devoted way to much of my time complaining, asking for healing, asking for the Lord to bring me home, and just a plain old pity party. Thank you so very much for allowing the Holy Spirit to speak thru you to my heart....I love you!

Opps, I forgot to hit "Post Reply" yesterday. Oh boy, I'm afraid that your teacher's mind is not very reliable these days. When I see what God intended for me to become in the beginning, and look at me now? I see only a "Dirt Bag".:rolleyes:

I should have mentioned before this that I use the ESV English Standard Version of the Bible for most of my quotes. If not then I'm using the old favorite King James Version. (If anyone is interested, I'll explain why I favor the ESV over the other modern day translations such as the popular NIV.

"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" OK, I've stopped trembling.:D I hope you don't mind a little humor now and then....God wanted a copy of Himself (image)
צֶלֶם
tselem
tseh'-lem
From an unused root meaning to shade; a phantom, that is, (figuratively) illusion, resemblance; hence a representative figure, especially an idol: - image, vain shew.
Total KJV occurrences: 17

God also wanted a mirror of Himself (likeness)
דְּמוּת
demûth
dem-ooth'
From H1819; resemblance; concretely model, shape; adverbially like: - fashion, like (-ness, as), manner, similitude.
Total KJV occurrences: 25

So it looks like our Creator, in those two words, wanted a reproduction of Himself whenever He looked upon the man of whom He created....Did He succeed?

In my thoughts yes He succeded. Everything that God has done and will ever do is a total complete success every time. And yes i would like to hear your view on the esv vs the niv (i no longer use the niv, but am curious :) )

For me it is amazing that God has given us the ability to control things on the earth. Adam may have given his ability over to satan, but through Jesus's death on the cross He bought it back for us. I watched a video on youtube one time where there was a tornado trying to touch down and the people were praying in the spirit of one accord...and it went back up into the sky turning to nothing. Awesome display of God's power that He has given to man! If one is walking in His commandments (John 14:21)

Blessings

Last edited:
Oh my dear Sister.I had forgotten all about concentrating on my hurting old body. Selfishly, I have devoted way to much of my time complaining, asking for healing, asking for the Lord to bring me home, and just a plain old pity party. Thank you so very much for allowing the Holy Spirit to speak thru you to my heart....I love you!

Oh goodness you done gone and made me cry :) i don't get to say it often enough, but you are very important. I had no intention of correcting you, just sharing something that God gave me when the devil was trying to get me to submit to a cold. So i am grateful for the Holy Spirit..to bless you with wisdom and strength.

God has been doing a lot of training me to be very careful of the words that i speak, and i ask Him everyday to help me to only speak what He would say. You are a blessing to myself and many! God has anointed you to preach the gospel to the poor and speak life that sets the captives free (Luke 4:18:19) for the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2) And being filled with the same spirit that Jesus has, that is our calling :). That certainly makes the devil mad. But God who dwells within you is greater than the one who is trying to rule this world (1 John 4:4) .

Thank you for blessing all of us with words of wisdom and grace! And for being humble in heart always :)
Love you! And pray for the blessing of grace and peace to overtake you in every way and every area of your life!

1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. 1:28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
Not trying to jump ahead, but God creates male and female, Adam and Eve, on the sixth day and intends for them to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Chapter one here has the macro of the sixth day and chapter two has the microcosm of the sixth day, specifically the creation of Adam and Eve.
I had always thought of Adam being created one day, and then a few days later God notices he needs a companion and creates Eve. So do we need to view chapter two as all part of the sixth day?
Now I have heard some preachers teach that God created other humans on the sixth day as well. The teaching goes that these were soulless people, though the passage says they all were made in God's image. So could it be possible that God created others outside the Garden after creating Adam? This would help with the conundrum of where Cain would find a wife. But a strike against it would be 3:20 And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.

The colloquialism of "be fruitful and multiply" to mean have offspring brings up the meaning of producing fruit. As in judge the tree by the fruit it produces. Could that be a hidden meaning, to know if a person is good by the offspring, or fruit, produced?

Not trying to jump ahead, but God creates male and female, Adam and Eve, on the sixth day and intends for them to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Chapter one here has the macro of the sixth day and chapter two has the microcosm of the sixth day, specifically the creation of Adam and Eve.
I had always thought of Adam being created one day, and then a few days later God notices he needs a companion and creates Eve. So do we need to view chapter two as all part of the sixth day?
Now I have heard some preachers teach that God created other humans on the sixth day as well. The teaching goes that these were soulless people, though the passage says they all were made in God's image. So could it be possible that God created others outside the Garden after creating Adam? This would help with the conundrum of where Cain would find a wife. But a strike against it would be 3:20 And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.

The colloquialism of "be fruitful and multiply" to mean have offspring brings up the meaning of producing fruit. As in judge the tree by the fruit it produces. Could that be a hidden meaning, to know if a person is good by the offspring, or fruit, produced?

dig deeper in the (( be fruitful and multiply )) Hint continue the garden

Something that God just asked me to say is that Jesus died for your healing 2000 years ago, so just rest in that fact, and thank Him for what has already happened :) when your spirit is fed with that fact over and over till it is settled ...your body will line up with the Word of God, and healing will manifest. The body and the spirit of infirmity, or sickness and disease has to bow its knee to the name of Jesus and the Written Word of God.

Blessings

Oh goodness you done gone and made me cry :) i don't get to say it often enough, but you are very important. I had no intention of correcting you, just sharing something that God gave me when the devil was trying to get me to submit to a cold. So i am grateful for the Holy Spirit..to bless you with wisdom and strength.

God has been doing a lot of training me to be very careful of the words that i speak, and i ask Him everyday to help me to only speak what He would say. You are a blessing to myself and many! God has anointed you to preach the gospel to the poor and speak life that sets the captives free (Luke 4:18:19) for the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2) And being filled with the same spirit that Jesus has, that is our calling :). That certainly makes the devil mad. But God who dwells within you is greater than the one who is trying to rule this world (1 John 4:4) .

Thank you for blessing all of us with words of wisdom and grace! And for being humble in heart always :)
Love you! And pray for the blessing of grace and peace to overtake you in every way and every area of your life!

Thank you so very much for your reply. Your words are very comforting and mean a lot considering how much I admire your wisdom and knowledge of the Word of God.

Jewish Apocrypha has stories that Lilith was a first wife to Adam but that she didn't want intimacies the same way Adam did, used the name of God to free herself from Adam - married a demon and became a demon. Juicy but not canon. Adam & Eve did not have any children prior to the fall as far as scripture goes. Some speculate that Cain & Abel were twins with Cain being 1st out of the womb. After Chapter 3, with the Lord saying that Eve's seed would bruise the head of the serpent - it might be said that women were largely left out of the begats. Again, Jewish apocrypha indicates that Cain & Abel married their sisters. In fact, they attribute part of Cain's reasoning for killing Abel was that Abel got to wife the sister Cain wanted. Speaking of geneology: Luke's geneology shows that Mary descended from David and Bathsheba's second son - not Solomon. So she was part of the line of David.

In my thoughts yes He succeded. Everything that God has done and will ever do is a total complete success every time. And yes i would like to hear your view on the esv vs the niv (i no longer use the niv, but am curious :) )

For me it is amazing that God has given us the ability to control things on the earth. Adam may have given his ability over to satan, but through Jesus's death on the cross He bought it back for us. I watched a video on youtube one time where there was a tornado trying to touch down and the people were praying in the spirit of one accord...and it went back up into the sky turning to nothing. Awesome display of God's power that He has given to man! If one is walking in His commandments (John 14:21)

Blessings

Sorry Cturtle that I've not responded to your question about the ESV vs the NIV. Without getting into the oldest manuscripts and an endless debate over such things, it's now a comfort zone for me in the spirit. I have entered most of the debates of which translation is closest to the originals and I'm weary of all that and as such I stuck with the KJV.

Several years ago, time flies so it's probably been more like five or more, I read somewhere about the "English Standard Version" of the Bible. Since I had used at some point the Scofield, NIV, NKJV, and skimmed over some others, I always went back to the KJV. I happened to see a paperback copy of the ESV study version for sale at CBD and purchased one. Right off this caught my eye. "The ESV follows a word for word translation rather than a thought for thought translation as some of the modern translations."

The notes in the study edition are the best and most accurate IMO. I still use my old faithful KJV alongside the ESV. When I am studying or just reading the Scriptures for enjoyment, yep, I really just enjoy reading thru each book. It's amazing how much new information I receive each time I re-read a book of the Bible.

September 11th 2015 Genesis 2:1-3 God Rests.

Genesis 2:1 "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2:2 And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 2:3 So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation."

Now we come to God's favorite day, in my opinion. The seventh day is the only day that has a special blessing attached to it. Verse 3 says that God blessed the seventh day and when our wonderful, loving God blesses, it's got to be good!

It's interesting that some Jews don't like the way Verse 2 is worded because they say that it looks like God continued to work but finished on the seventh day. The Septuagint, Samaritan & Syriac versions read "on the sixth day"

At the end of the sixth day God said, as He must have looked over all that He had created, It is good. Now when God says something is good, well, it's good!! I don't know about you but on our rest day, Sunday, it's a happy day! It's a good day. We go to our church and sing happy worshipful songs, sometimes hear good testimonies, greet Brothers & Sisters, kids have a good time, it's a happy day!

It's also a happy day to hear a strong message from the Word of God that blesses as well as convicts of sin and the need for change. Also, to be able to agree with the Pastor and shout "Amen", In my household we respect this rest day and try to enjoy the rest without any daily chores, like mowing the lawn. It's surprises me that some unsaved folk still criticize Christians for mowing their lawn on Sunday.

All the years that I was a full time Pastor, I felt that I actually worked on Sunday. I would preach/teach two services, I always had "open parsonage" so church folk could drop by and speak with their Pastor or his Wife, and at the end of the day, I was tired as if I'd worked overtime. As a result, my Wife and I would take Monday as our rest day. We always had a camper of some sort and would go to a campground close by and spend Monday enjoying each other and resting.

I'll be honest. Saturday as the Hebrew Shabat (rest) and not the Christian rest day, has always bothered me in the back of my mind, if you know what I mean. There have been times when I thought I'd start a "Saturday Baptist Church" but never dared to. I have wondered if I'm the only one who feels this way.

OK folks, thank you for the privilege of bringing these verses to your attention. It's always been an honor to teach the very words of God as they appear in the Bible. Every once in a while I like to note what version of the Bible I use and where I copy the verses. I use the ESV (English Standard Version) and my source is e-Sword.net by permission.

I have wondered if I'm the only one who feels this way.
I hear ya. I have a Jewish friend in Israel - awesome people!!! - and they love the Sabbath. While I enjoyed going to church, Sundays were never my favorite days. While I do not keep the Sabbath, I believe I would enjoy it. My Jewish friend literally kill the power and unplug from the world form sunset to sunset. The sit and eat and pray and fellowship with their families. Saturday's were always the hardest for me because I had to do all the things I could not do during the week, making for a very busy day, then Sunday comes and off to church you go, twice, with a meal and a nap in between, if you were lucky. I think if I could have my way, I'd work a 4-day workweek, Friday at home to do the required stuff around the house, Saturday kill the power, fellowship with family and rest, and then Sunday fellowship with Christians. I believe that would be in keeping the Sabbath. Why? Because the Sabbath is for man, not God.

*[[Mar 2:27]] KJV* And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:​

I hear ya. I have a Jewish friend in Israel - awesome people!!! - and they love the Sabbath. While I enjoyed going to church, Sundays were never my favorite days. While I do not keep the Sabbath, I believe I would enjoy it. My Jewish friend literally kill the power and unplug from the world form sunset to sunset. The sit and eat and pray and fellowship with their families. Saturday's were always the hardest for me because I had to do all the things I could not do during the week, making for a very busy day, then Sunday comes and off to church you go, twice, with a meal and a nap in between, if you were lucky. I think if I could have my way, I'd work a 4-day workweek, Friday at home to do the required stuff around the house, Saturday kill the power, fellowship with family and rest, and then Sunday fellowship with Christians. I believe that would be in keeping the Sabbath. Why? Because the Sabbath is for man, not God.

*[[Mar 2:27]] KJV* And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:​
Wow, I really like that idea. Why don't you run for President?

September 11th 2015 Genesis 2:1-3 God Rests.

Genesis 2:1 "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2:2 And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 2:3 So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation."

Now we come to God's favorite day, in my opinion. The seventh day is the only day that has a special blessing attached to it. Verse 3 says that God blessed the seventh day and when our wonderful, loving God blesses, it's got to be good!

It's interesting that some Jews don't like the way Verse 2 is worded because they say that it looks like God continued to work but finished on the seventh day. The Septuagint, Samaritan & Syriac versions read "on the sixth day"

At the end of the sixth day God said, as He must have looked over all that He had created, It is good. Now when God says something is good, well, it's good!! I don't know about you but on our rest day, Sunday, it's a happy day! It's a good day. We go to our church and sing happy worshipful songs, sometimes hear good testimonies, greet Brothers & Sisters, kids have a good time, it's a happy day!

It's also a happy day to hear a strong message from the Word of God that blesses as well as convicts of sin and the need for change. Also, to be able to agree with the Pastor and shout "Amen", In my household we respect this rest day and try to enjoy the rest without any daily chores, like mowing the lawn. It's surprises me that some unsaved folk still criticize Christians for mowing their lawn on Sunday.

All the years that I was a full time Pastor, I felt that I actually worked on Sunday. I would preach/teach two services, I always had "open parsonage" so church folk could drop by and speak with their Pastor or his Wife, and at the end of the day, I was tired as if I'd worked overtime. As a result, my Wife and I would take Monday as our rest day. We always had a camper of some sort and would go to a campground close by and spend Monday enjoying each other and resting.

I'll be honest. Saturday as the Hebrew Shabat (rest) and not the Christian rest day, has always bothered me in the back of my mind, if you know what I mean. There have been times when I thought I'd start a "Saturday Baptist Church" but never dared to. I have wondered if I'm the only one who feels this way.

OK folks, thank you for the privilege of bringing these verses to your attention. It's always been an honor to teach the very words of God as they appear in the Bible. Every once in a while I like to note what version of the Bible I use and where I copy the verses. I use the ESV (English Standard Version) and my source is e-Sword.net by permission.

For me i really enjoy celebrating friday sundown to saturday sundown as the sabbath. Then to be able to begin the week with a service to enjoy fellowshipping with others and a good teaching on the Word of God. That of course is my ideal weekend but instead right now i get into the Word, and teaching from my pastor every day and fellowshipping with others via the internet, or my household. Your idea about monday resting was a good one :)

Blessings

Back