And yet another "silly" question

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Good morning family! I hope that your day is going well.

I am still working through my thoughts on so many things. Something came up yesterday and I am looking for clarity. Like many people, I enjoy watching movies and some TV programs (not many). I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead and enjoy the Sci-Fi experience.

Some of the movies I enjoy are not actually consistent with God’s teachings (I think). As an example, I enjoy watching the movie The DaVinci Code (hopefully you all know the movie).

So, my question is this: While I watch these types of movies/programs solely for their entertainment value, do you all think it offends God that these movies/programs are produced and watched by so many people?

rtm3039

Leviticus 19:31

Leviticus 20:6

Deuteronomy 18:11

1 Samuel 28:3

Isaiah 8:19

Isaiah 19:3

These are just a few verses (KJV) that may give you some insight into real world activities. So called 'entertainment' is one thing, but putting what we see, hear or read about into actual practice, in the spirit realm, may not be the best idea.

Leviticus 19:31

Leviticus 20:6

Deuteronomy 18:11

1 Samuel 28:3

Isaiah 8:19

Isaiah 19:3

These are just a few verses (KJV) that may give you some insight into real world activities. So called 'entertainment' is one thing, but putting what we see, hear or read about into actual practice, in the spirit realm, may not be the best idea.

I see that all of these references have a common theme: “familiar spirits . . . wizards.” I am having an issue interpreting this, in the context of my question. At present, I am taking this to mean that someone watches these types of movies/programs and actually believes the ideas being depicted? Am I close?

rtm3039

I dont watch the movies or progams you mentioned, what is Walking Dead about? Do you think God was offended when you watched it...?

I did read the Da Vinci Code only cos my sister said I ought to read it. It was sort of interesting, but fiction, I wouldnt put it in the church library just because it mentions Jesus though. In the book the author had this theory that Jesus got married and had children but obviously that isnt true only a theory! As for enterainment value maybe it was about some clueless people looking for the holy grail and bumbling about in a fruitless exercise trying to find something when they could have just read the Bible and know that Jesus didnt give us the holy grail he gave us the holy spirit!

I dont watch the movies or progams you mentioned, what is Walking Dead about? Do you think God was offended when you watched it...?

I did read the Da Vinci Code only cos my sister said I ought to read it. It was sort of interesting, but fiction, I wouldnt put it in the church library just because it mentions Jesus though. In the book the author had this theory that Jesus got married and had children but obviously that isnt true only a theory! As for enterainment value maybe it was about some clueless people looking for the holy grail and bumbling about in a fruitless exercise trying to find something when they could have just read the Bible and know that Jesus didnt give us the holy grail he gave us the holy spirit!

I actually watched Da Vinci Code and then read the book. Both were great entertainment, but the book and movie are slightly different. I’ve actually read the entire Robert Langdon series (five in all).

what is Walking Dead about? Really? Ok, maybe it is only popular here in the US. It is a TV series, not on its 9th season, about zombies (aka: the walking dead) and follows a group of people that try to survive both the zombies and other “people” who try to do them harm. I do not think God would be offended by this type of series, as it is clearly Sci-Fi and everyone knows it is not reality.

I’ve been watching zombie movies since I was a kid. I have pretty much watched them all, to include those in Spanish, German, French, and Japanese (does not say much about their plot).

Last edited:
Good morning family! I hope that your day is going well. I am still working through my thoughts on so many things. Something came up yesterday and I am looking for clarity. So, my question is this: While I watch these types of movies/programs solely for their entertainment value, do you all think it offends God that these movies/programs are produced and watched by so many people? rtm3039

Hello rtm3039;

I have asked myself the same question but in the form of music. I grew up on rock music when my parents listened on AM radio back in the early 60s. lol! The late 60's and 70's came out with some of the best original rock and today the music is still timeless, to me.

Whenever I listen to rock, for example, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by the Iron Butterfly from 1968. I would actually pray first and give God the glory for the musicians and their creativity of the musical instruments (I'm a musician), but would pay no attention to the lyrics or what they mean, because in my opinion the band were not good lyricists.

Am I justifying my listening to this secular band? I don't know if they are believers but the original organist's father was a church organist when he taught his son to play.

In my spirit and heart, I am restricted by how much secular music I listen to and God gives me discernment and wisdom in my freewill. This is why I always pray first before listening. I desire God to be in the center of everything I do and today listen to mostly Christian hymns and contemporary praise and worship music.

In 1973 when The Exorcist came out, it was considered the most horrifying movie of devil possession at that time. I had nightmares the first time I saw the movie.

Today, my wife and I, by choice, do not watch alot of TV and movies but we do enjoy many, many Christian based stories, movies on the Old and New Testaments such as Jesus, Book of Matthew, Book of John, Book of Acts, and Biblical documentaries.

I'm speaking for myself.

rtm3039, everytime you want to watch a movie or TV show, please think about praying first to God about it. Then if your spirit, heart and even your gut doesn't feel right about it, and then decide, between you and God.

God bless you, brother and your family.

Hello rtm3039;

I have asked myself the same question but in the form of music. I grew up on rock music when my parents listened on AM radio back in the early 60s. lol! The late 60's and 70's came out with some of the best original rock and today the music is still timeless, to me.

Whenever I listen to rock, for example, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by the Iron Butterfly from 1968. I would actually pray first and give God the glory for the musicians and their creativity of the musical instruments (I'm a musician), but would pay no attention to the lyrics or what they mean, because in my opinion the band were not good lyricists.

Am I justifying my listening to this secular band? I don't know if they are believers but the original organist's father was a church organist when he taught his son to play.

In my spirit and heart, I am restricted by how much secular music I listen to and God gives me discernment and wisdom in my freewill. This is why I always pray first before listening. I desire God to be in the center of everything I do and today listen to mostly Christian hymns and contemporary praise and worship music.

In 1973 when The Exorcist came out, it was considered the most horrifying movie of devil possession at that time. I had nightmares the first time I saw the movie.

Today, my wife and I, by choice, do not watch alot of TV and movies but we do enjoy many, many Christian based stories, movies on the Old and New Testaments such as Jesus, Book of Matthew, Book of John, Book of Acts, and Biblical documentaries.

I'm speaking for myself.

rtm3039, everytime you want to watch a movie or TV show, please think about praying first to God about it. Then if your spirit, heart and even your gut doesn't feel right about it, and then decide, between you and God.

God bless you, brother and your family.
Thank you, brother bobinfaith,

There was a time, when I was a serious movie kind of guy. That was a while ago, and I tend to not do much of that anymore. I do watch Netflix, but mostly as background. As an example, I am watching Star Trek - Enterprise. I have watched all four seasons, at least three times. I am doing this now, as I find myself in between careers and need to do something while I wait for something positive to happen. I've never watched the Exorcist , mostly because that is not a "thing" for me.

It's odd, but I have no issues watching the same thing more than once. My big ones are Good Eats, Myth Busters (the old one), The Big Bang Theory, and Dirty Jobs. We have them all recorded and watch them before falling asleep.

Bless you back,

rtm3039

Great sharing with you, Ray!

I also have no problem watching the same thing more than once. I have watched the Ten Commandments many times since I was 8 years old. In one scene Pharoah gives the order, "bring in the Hebrew", then the next in charge will turn and say, "bring in the Hebrew", then the next one will turn and say, "bring in the Hebrew", then I'll turn and say out loud in the living room, "bring in the Hebrew!" lol! This is when Moses walks in the palace in chains.

Tuesday night is "our night" for my wife and myself. There are certain programs we enjoying watching.

I'll be praying for the job the Lord is leading you and your future empoyer, for His glory.

God bless you, brother.

Great sharing with you, Ray!

I also have no problem watching the same thing more than once. I have watched the Ten Commandments many times since I was 8 years old. In one scene Pharoah gives the order, "bring in the Hebrew", then the next in charge will turn and say, "bring in the Hebrew", then the next one will turn and say, "bring in the Hebrew", then I'll turn and say out loud in the living room, "bring in the Hebrew!" lol! This is when Moses walks in the palace in chains.

Tuesday night is "our night" for my wife and myself. There are certain programs we enjoying watching.

I'll be praying for the job the Lord is leading you and your future empoyer, for His glory.

God bless you, brother.

Thanks brother, I can use all the help I can get.

If you have Netflix, there are a couple of inspirational movies that I really enjoyed watching. No one famous, but the stories were very inspiring.

One is called: A Question of Faith and, I have to admit, I got emotional towards the end. That is not me, but I would not help it.

rtm3039

Thank you for the recommendation, brother. Richard T. Jones is a good actor and family man of 3 children. We don't have Netflix anymore but am going to check out A Question of Faith at Amazon Prime. The dvd is only $9.99.

God bless you!

Thank you for the recommendation, brother. Richard T. Jones is a good actor and family man of 3 children. We don't have Netflix anymore but am going to check out A Question of Faith at Amazon Prime. The dvd is only $9.99.

God bless you!
The story line is fantastic. It really put my values in perspective.

I enjoy our interactions. May God keep you, and all you love, in his grace.

Have you watched Touched by An Angel.
We have that tv series in the church library but never seen it. Its not a current series, but I gather it has supernatural themes, and people that get saved from dying etc.

I used to watch a lot of old movies like musicals when I was younger and had a phase of constantly re-watching Gone with the Wind. But now am a believer God has me busy with other things rather than always watching movies.

Like reading the Bible! If I am watching something it would more be a true inspirational story or based on something true rather than one thats completely fictional.

The last christian movie I saw was All Saints and its based on a true story. I can recommend it, and other christian movies if you looking for something to inspire you while waiting on the Lord.

Its interesting that before movies and television were invented I suppose people had their own visions. Or books and live theatre. I was never a star trek fan although I know people that were/are, just could never really get into the whole sci fi, fantasy genre. But the book of Revelation is compelling a vision as any sci fi that I'm aware of. I mean you got angels descending from heaven, seven plagues, war in heaven, beasts and a seven headed dragon...a lake of fire, armageddon...

Have you watched Touched by An Angel.
We have that tv series in the church library but never seen it. Its not a current series, but I gather it has supernatural themes, and people that get saved from dying etc.

I used to watch a lot of old movies like musicals when I was younger and had a phase of constantly re-watching Gone with the Wind. But now am a believer God has me busy with other things rather than always watching movies.

Like reading the Bible! If I am watching something it would more be a true inspirational story or based on something true rather than one thats completely fictional.

The last christian movie I saw was All Saints and its based on a true story. I can recommend it, and other christian movies if you looking for something to inspire you while waiting on the Lord.

Its interesting that before movies and television were invented I suppose people had their own visions. Or books and live theatre. I was never a star trek fan although I know people that were/are, just could never really get into the whole sci fi, fantasy genre. But the book of Revelation is compelling a vision as any sci fi that I'm aware of. I mean you got angels descending from heaven, seven plagues, war in heaven, beasts and a seven headed dragon...a lake of fire, armageddon...

Lanolin, from looking at your picture, I just assume you are a young person. Looks like Touched by An Angel had a long run, nine seasons (1994 – 2003). I’ve never seen it, as I watch very little “regular” TV (commercials drive be crazy). The intro notes: “A trio of angels travels the Earth, inspiring people at crossroads in their lives to turn to God. But the angels aren't only teaching people -- they are also learning lessons themselves.”

Personally, I think that a little “mindless movie” watching is not a bad thing. No matter who you are, escaping for short moments can’t be all that bad.

I am presently “in between” careers (aka: unemployed) and have a bit more free time than I like. So, I get to spend more time watching Netflix, YouTube, etc. YouTube is a great tool, if you are interested in learning. IN particular, I’ve watched a series from “The Bible Project.” These folks have done a really good job at explaining both the Old and New Testament. Also involved in a series, called “GodLife.” As someone who has found God, for the second time, I am trying to learn as much as I can, and these are informative sources of information. However, in between these, there is always a little time for Star Trek. 😊

Haha star trek. I guess that to you was like me watching old movie musicals. They were generally all the same theme of hey 'lets put on a show' and they always ended with the guy getting the girl. Its amazing how many different variations of that one theme they could make, till they run out of costumes.

I dont know about those other shows but I do remember watching Sid Roths 'its supernatural' when I had a lot of spare time. And also, vids about the Holy Land, I like it when people give you a tour and show you what its like.

Back