Anger:how To Control It

Jesus Freak

Previously DanaCovert68
Hey, guys, and gals. I would like some advice on how to control my anger. I have had people tell me when I was younger that they hate being around me. How do I control my anger to the point that people will love being around me? Scripture will help. Thanks, and God bless all who help.

Prayer...Prayer....Prayer Works in all weaknesses we are trying to overcome. Go in your " prayer closet" and talk to God..He is already waiting..God Bless

Can my bedroom be my "prayer closet "? I will do that and talk to Him. I know He's wanting to hear about my troubles.

sorry..It printed before I was through. your " prayer closet" is anyplace where you are not distracted, and just youtside and Jesus alone..

A Vice President of a Company once addressed a Sales Meeting for a company I once worked for and gave this GEM for us...
" Remember, Can't Never could"....

Let me tell ya - this is familiar! I used to have a temper that could ignite in a second and with enough fury to explode mountains. It showed up before I could talk and continued for years.

And, like you, it really bothered me. I would pray to God to take it away often, I would try so hard to control it. I would promise myself that "from this point on I won't explode anymore!" And all of that fell flat.

But then a wise Christian showed me this: ""Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5.

See? We are the branches rooted in the Life, the Vine, Christ Himself! We draw our Strength to overcome straight from Him! If we are willing to let Him do it, He will. He helps us overcome all things (like foul tempers) and produce His fruit. Besides, the old you with that foul temper is dead! It was crucified with Christ! "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20.

Now you have a new nature, rooted in Christ Himself! And the fruit of that new nature is "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23. That fruit is the opposite of a quick temper, and that fruit is produced by the Spirit, not our own attempt to do so. "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives..." Galatians 5:22.

The key here is to believe the Truth Christ has given, and to say yes to His help and power. :)

Let me tell ya - this is familiar! I used to have a temper that could ignite in a second and with enough fury to explode mountains. It showed up before I could talk and continued for years.

And, like you, it really bothered me. I would pray to God to take it away often, I would try so hard to control it. I would promise myself that "from this point on I won't explode anymore!" And all of that fell flat.

But then a wise Christian showed me this: ""Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5.

See? We are the branches rooted in the Life, the Vine, Christ Himself! We draw our Strength to overcome straight from Him! If we are willing to let Him do it, He will. He helps us overcome all things (like foul tempers) and produce His fruit. Besides, the old you with that foul temper is dead! It was crucified with Christ! "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20.

Now you have a new nature, rooted in Christ Himself! And the fruit of that new nature is "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, and self-control..." Galatians 5:22-23. That fruit is the opposite of a quick temper, and that fruit is produced by the Spirit, not our own attempt to do so. "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives..." Galatians 5:22.

The key here is to believe the Truth Christ has given, and to say yes to His help and power. :)
My Kind of thinking!! God Bless

As for your anger, if you believe it is a sin unto you, confess it in prayer. He is just and faithful to forgive but also to cleanse.
Whatever you sow that you shall also reap....be loving toward those around you and eventually they will be loving in return. Love in this sense is a way we behave toward others it has nothing to do with, but sometimes is involved with, feelings....

So, @Tressa you are saying that i have to believe that Christ is willing to help me. I will pray that i can get through this.

Christ is the only way to permanently solve these things. And as for having to believe....He has written it in His Word. His help is, just as He is. :) Take Him at His Word regarding this reality.

And don't get me wrong - that temper isn't going away overnight. For He is our Potter. "Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand." Isaiah 64:8. Vessels don't just come off the potter's wheel instantaneously - each vessel takes time. Shaping, reshaping, molding....until it is perfect. God molds us until we are perfect (mature) reflections of Him. Your temper is just another thing that He is bringing to the surface and cleansing away. It is a process that takes time. God receives glory from it - and as the work of His hand continues, you will know Him better.

Difficulties like this are not defeats, but opportunities. Opportunities for Him to receive glory and for you to know Him and trust Him more! :) "We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair.9 We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.10 Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies." 2 Corinthians 4:8-10.

being able to control anger is most often accomplished by being able to understand it ..
1st we learn to not just react, but reason first ..
ask yourself this .. WHY am I angry ???
most often it is ego .. and if it is, we must remember that ego is putting your will above Gods ..

here is an excellent piece written by someone else ..

When Jesus cleared the temple of the moneychangers and animal-sellers, He showed great emotion and anger.

Jhn 2:14 And He found in the temple those who were selling oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers seated at their tables.
Jhn 2:15 And He made a scourge of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables;
Jhn 2:16 and to those who were selling the doves He said, "Take these things away; stop making My Father's house a place of business."
Jhn 2:17 His disciples remembered that it was written, "ZEAL FOR YOUR HOUSE WILL CONSUME ME."

Jesus’ emotion was described as "zeal" for God’s house (John 2:17). His anger was pure and completely justified because at its root was concern for God’s holiness and worship. Because these were at stake, Jesus took fast and furious action.

Another time Jesus showed anger was in the synagogue of Capernaum. When the Pharisees refused to answer Jesus’ questions, “He looked round about them with anger” (Mark 3:5). This verse goes on to give the reason for His anger: “the hardness of their hearts.”

Many times, we think of anger as a selfish, destructive emotion that we should eradicate from our lives altogether. However, the fact that Jesus did sometimes become angry indicates that anger itself, as an emotion, is “amoral.” This is showed elsewhere in the New Testament. Ephesians 4:26 instructs us to “be angry, and sin not,” and not to let the sun go down on our anger. The command is not to “avoid anger” (or suppress it or ignore it) but to deal with it properly, in a timely manner. We note the following facts about Jesus’ displays of anger:

1) His anger had the proper motivation. In other words, He was angry for the right reasons. Jesus’ anger did not arise from petty arguments or personal slights against Him. There was no selfishness involved.
2) His anger had the proper focus. He was not angry at God or at the “weaknesses” of others. His anger targeted sinful behavior and true injustice.
3) His anger had the proper supplement. Mark 3:5 says that His anger was attended by grief over the Pharisees’ lack of faith. Jesus’ anger stemmed from love for the Pharisees and concern for their spiritual condition. It had nothing to do with hatred or ill will.
4) His anger had the proper control. Jesus was never “out of control,” even in His wrath. The temple leaders did not like His cleansing of the temple (Luke 19:47), but He had done nothing amiss. He controlled His emotions; His emotions did not control Him.
5) His anger had the proper duration. He did not allow His anger to turn into bitterness; He did not hold grudges. He dealt with each situation properly, and He handled anger in good time.
6) His anger had the proper result. Jesus’ anger had the inevitable consequence of godly action. Jesus’ anger, as with all His emotions, was held in check by the Word of God; thus, Jesus’ response was always to accomplish God’s will.

When we get angry, too often we have improper control or an improper focus. We fail in one or more of the above points. This is the “wrath of man,” which “worketh not the righteousness of God” (James 1:20). Jesus did not exhibit the “wrath of man” but the "wrath of God"

My anger is selfish because I don't get my way most of the time. I yell at people and things like cars to ,"get the f___ off such, and such street." I require people to do what I WANT THEM TO DO. so, wouldn't you say that is selfish type of anger,@ixoye_8, or isn't it? I also yes get angry when the phone rings. Would that also be selfish anger, or which would it be?

Yes Dana! You are apparently a spoiled brat (lol) and want to be lord (all you people better obey or I will throw a tantrum)...be careful or Dad my get fed up and give you a good spanking!

I can relate to where you are, before I was born again I had a terrible temper, probable worse than what you are experiencing, I didn't blow up, I sat back and calculated how to get revenge, revenge that usually ruined that person, but, thanks be to God when I became born again the Lord took that from me, so I guess the first question is when you were born again were you freed from this problem? If so, then the cause is you are allowing your flesh to be in control of your life, sitting on the throne of your heart, what you need to do is allow Jesus to sit on that throne and let the Holy Spirit control you life, with these character traits being manifested in your life by and through His Agape Love: joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, meekness, self-control Gal 5:22, 23, which you received when He came and took up residence inside of you at your regeneration.

Paul tells us there is a war going on inside of us, Gal 5:17, the carnal nature fights against our regenerated spirit and our spirit against our carnal nature, which one will win, that depends on which one we feed, if we are constantly watching, listening too and engaged in the carnal things of the world then the carnal nature is strongest and will take it's place on that throne, however if we are into bible study, listening to praise music, praying, looking for opportunities to love on people, serve people, helping out in church with the gift given to us then we will be feeding our spirit and the things of the carnal nature will not interest us, ...I must remind you we are in a war and this is a daily affair, actually it's moment by moment that we have to make the choice as to who will be sitting on the throne of our hearts. (that's why a true Bible believing, Word teaching, worshiping in spirit and truth body of believers is so important, it's when we are assembled together in the Name of the Lord that there we can find rest for our weary souls and be refreshed and re-energized to go back out into the battle field)

The second question is are you truly born again, can you say what day the Holy Spirit illuminated a verse you were reading/studying and you knew in your heart you were lost, going to Hell, you fully understood the Gospel, asked Jesus to forgive you of your sin and received His free gift of salvation, if so then you will know deep in your heart what day that happened and what verse it was, if not then the Father is drawing you to Himself, that's why you are here Rom 3:11, so then, as Paul said, today is the day of salvation Heb 3:7, 2 Cor 6:2, ...I know what I'm talking about, I had many ministries in church before I was born again, ...we know what day it was because the direction of our lives was changed, it's unforgettable the change that took place, our friends couldn't believe it or even wanted to be around us any more, we were chatter boxes for Jesus, couldn't stop talking about Jesus and what he had done for us!

In His Love,

Gene

Back