Another Question About Blasphemy

If a person thinks a blasphemous thought about the Holy Spirit, but they don't believe the blasphemous thought, have they committed the unforgivable sin?

If a person thinks a blasphemous thought about the Holy Spirit, but they don't believe the blasphemous thought, have they committed the unforgivable sin?

no .. satan can put thoughts in your head .. only what you let into your heart (accept/embrace) that is against God's will is sin ..

Thank you. Makes sense. :)

your welcome ..
the simple advice we receive is "RESIST" (Jam 4:7) ..
even thoughts of lust are not sin if you resist them ..
a person heart either enjoys the thought or resists it ..
and THAT is what God reads, IF your heart enjoyed it (Mat 9:4, Rom 8:27) ..
IF you seek to be Holy like God said we should (1Pe 1:16) ..
then you DO become a new creature/born again and abhor sin ..

THUS WE ARE NOT DEFILED IF WE DO NOT LET THEM INTO OUR HEARTS ..
Mar 7:21
“For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries,
Mar 7:22
deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness.
Mar 7:23
“All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.”

HENCE IF YOU RESIST THEM, THEY DO NOT "PROCEED" ..

Last edited:
“According to such an exegesis, 'blasphemy' does not properly consist in offending against the Holy Spirit in words; it consists rather in the refusal to accept the salvation which God offers to man through the Holy Spirit, working through the power of the Cross.... If Jesus says that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven either in this life or in the next, it is because this "non-forgiveness" is linked, as to its cause, to "non-repentance," in other words to the radical refusal to be converted. ” (Dominum et Vivificantem, Pope John Paul II).

“According to such an exegesis, 'blasphemy' does not properly consist in offending against the Holy Spirit in words; it consists rather in the refusal to accept the salvation which God offers to man through the Holy Spirit, working through the power of the Cross....

not so .. Jesus says those that blasphemy the Son CAN BE forgiven .. the Jews reject Jesus and are not without God's power to "graft them back in" .. yet they do NOT reject the Father or the HS (whom they recognize as "shekinah") .. rejecting/blaspheming the HS is blaspheming the Father .. notice there is NO mention of blaspheming the Father in those verses ..

The Holy Spirit IS the Spirit of God ..
it is God's own spirit .. just like we have one ..

Jhn 15:26
“When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

notice there are two thrones not three ..

we can say "my spirit is with you" and it is figurative ..
whereas when God's "Spirit is with you" it is literal ..

Last edited:
not so .. Jesus says those that blasphemy the Son CAN BE forgiven .. the Jews reject Jesus and are not without God's power to "graft them back in" .. yet they do NOT reject the Father or the HS (whom they recognize as "shekinah") .. rejecting/blaspheming the HS is blaspheming the Father .. notice there is NO mention of blaspheming the Father in those verses ..

That's what I was wondering. I'm still kinda confused as to what exactly blaspheming the Holy Spirit is. It's attributing works of Satan, right? So, the Pharisees... did they blaspheme the Holy Spirit or was Jesus warning them not to?

That's what I was wondering. I'm still kinda confused as to what exactly blaspheming the Holy Spirit is. It's attributing works of Satan, right? So, the Pharisees... did they blaspheme the Holy Spirit or was Jesus warning them not to?
This is something that comes up often! May be someone can enlighten me.. I hope I am not deviating from the crux of the topic.. Today being slain in the Spirit is a common term used among charismatic Christians.. Holy laughter is one such manifestation of being slain in the Spirit.. I don't believe Holy Spirit would cause someone to laugh uncontrollably.. If I let my opinion out, the immediate reaction is, I am doing the unforgivable sin! That is, attributing the work of Holy Spirit to demons.. How many have faced this before? That's when I start thinking what really is the unforgivable sin?

This is something that comes up often! May be someone can enlighten me.. I hope I am not deviating from the crux of the topic.. Today being slain in the Spirit is a common term used among charismatic Christians.. Holy laughter is one such manifestation of being slain in the Spirit.. I don't believe Holy Spirit would cause someone to laugh uncontrollably.. If I let my opinion out, the immediate reaction is, I am doing the unforgivable sin! That is, attributing the work of Holy Spirit to demons.. How many have faced this before? That's when I start thinking what really is the unforgivable sin?

That's pretty much how my questions about blasphemy began. I was thinking that about near-death experiences. But, if they are true, then it's doing what you said... except we are told to be discerning so we aren't lead astray. It's kinda confusing.

blasphemy of the HS is denigrating the HS as unGodly .. it also can include attributing works of God to Satan or works of Satan attributed to God ..

he was only giving instruction/making a warning ..

Last edited:
That's pretty much how my questions about blasphemy began. I was thinking that about near-death experiences. But, if they are true, then it's doing what you said... except we are told to be discerning so we aren't lead astray. It's kinda confusing.

what I do, is make no opinion on the subject because I cannot find conclusive scriptural witness .. it makes interesting conversation, but I draw NO conclusions .. If the woman was deceived, then she is without sin (Jhn 9:41) .. if she was not deceived, then God's method that He told us to use (and He Himself uses) would verify it .. that being "all things are confirmed by 2 or 3 witnesses" .. scripture itself verifies itself in this way .. I do not accept a persons testimony in such a condition as "an authentic witness" even though what they believe what they relate ..

scripture witnesses this .. the Holy Spirit "builds up" .. so if there is not some kind of edifying going on, then it is NOT God's HS ..
slain in the Spirit sounds like "tearing down" to me ..
do they know what Spirit they are of ???
uncontrollable laughter cannot have any edifying come from it that I could imagine ..
the HS is not a trickster nor plays games ..
the HS SANCTIFIES YOU .. not ridicules you .. hope that helped ..

God Bless You ..

as a matter of fact, I made a post in another forum about accusing Jesus of Blasphemy ..
even Jesus acknowledged their use of the word in this context .. that being ascribing what is ungodly (a human) as Godly .. (but of course it was not true, because He was God) as I said, it works in the reverse as well ..
it is denigrating God, or in this particular sins case, the HS ..

ixoye_8 wrote:
the Jews were totally illogical ..
they KNEW God was the only savior by many scriptures ..

Isa 43:11 “I, even I, am the LORD, and there is no savior besides Me.

they KNEW He was to be born in Bethlehem from the line of David ..

Isa 7:14 “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.

note: Immanuel means "God with us" ..

Isa 9:6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:7 There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness from then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this.

Mic 5:2 But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago, From the days of eternity.”

Mat 2:4 Gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Messiah was to be born.
Mat 2:5 They said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea; for this is what has been written by the prophet:

yet they thought Jesus was blaspheming saying He (as a human) was God ..

Jhn 10:33 The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”

as to the cause of the uprising ..
in 66 CE General Gessius Florus looted the Temple's treasury, slaughtering worshipers and rabbis .. that started the revolt ..

acta sanctorum
Hbr 5:9 And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation,

Last edited:
blasphemy of the HS is denigrating the HS as unGodly .. it also can include attributing works of God to Satan or works of Satan attributed to God ..

he was only giving instruction/making a warning ..
Wouldn't that be what someone was doing if they said they didn't think the person who had the NDE was really seeing God?

what I do, is make no opinion on the subject because I cannot find conclusive scriptural witness .. it makes interesting conversation, but I draw NO conclusions .. If the woman was deceived, then she is without sin (Jhn 9:41) .. if she was not deceived, then God's method that He told us to use (and He Himself uses) would verify it .. that being "all things are confirmed by 2 or 3 witnesses" .. scripture itself verifies itself in this way .. I do not accept a persons testimony in such a condition as "an authentic witness" even though what they believe what they relate ..

Last night, I read a rebuttal to the NDE book I read earlier... the author used scripture to support his belief that the NDE I read about was unbiblical.

I totally understand why you want to have no opinions... I feel the same way myself. I was worried, though, because the author of the rebuttal said that may be causing harm, though... if no one speaks up when something is contradicting scripture, we allow what he said was a false message to be spread and do harm (to both non-believers and believers).

I have a lot to think about.

Back