Anxiety without Medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I am new to this website, but I am excited about the possibility of talking to someone else who is going through the same stuff I am.
Its hard stuff, and hard to find someone to relate with!
I guess I will just start by saying that I have an anxiety disorder, and treatment has always meant medication. I am not weening myself off of the behavioral medication, and cursing the day I ever agreed to take a benzo. It is a nightmare getting off the benz.
I haven't thus far found anyone to compare stories, but would love if someone would put themselves out there to talk with me about this!
Its not easy to talk about, but I feel that transparency is really the only way to truly work stuff out. I look forward to any conversations that might come!

Welcome Natalie to cfs! Its great to have you with us.

The best thing I can say is to learn how to cast all your cares over onto the Lord and to learn to take every thought captive. Making it line up with what God's Word says.

I have been having difficulty in the past week, and the Lord reminded me of these two things. Anxiety is really fear. And we as children of God do not have to submit to fear. For we know and trust solely in the Lord for everything.

Try asking the Lord to show you the root of your fears and ask Him to help you to trust Him to resist being afraid. For as Isaiah 53:5 says...the chastizement of our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.

He died to give us His peace. In John 14:26 It says that He bequeathed (ampc) us His peace. We just have to decide to not allow anything to steal it from us.

Yes I know it can be tough at first, but with lots of practice, and the help of the Holy Spirit, who kicks in when we are obedient to The Word, we will be successful.

Only you be strong and very courageous, that you may do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you. Turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success. Have not I commanded you? Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:7‭-‬9 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/jos.1.7-9.AMPC

Blessings and prayers going up for you!

images
We look forward to fellowship with you. God will see you through this.

Hi Natalie,

Just checking in with you to see how your doing.

I have been listening to a series called the Joy of faith. And rejoicing is another key to getting rid of fear and depression and doubt.

I realized that as I rejoiced that my name is written in the lambs book of life, and for singing and staying full of joy (which is a fruit of the spirit) we can really overcome anything that is trying to defeat us.

It's all about not allowing those negative emotions have rule and reign in our bodies. Resisting the urge to submit to anything that is not of God. For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of peace, love and a sound mind.

I know it can be challenging, but singing praises to the Lord and keeping our eyes on Him is another key to staying in victory. Our church sings a song called joy unspeakable. It's a catchy tune...one that can lift your spirit. Also just singing stuff made up like... God is getting me through... And thank You Jesus for the victory. Or even a Scripture like Philippians 4:4. Or as simple as the kids song I've got the Joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, where? Down in my heart.... I've got the Joy joy joy joy down in my heart, where? Down in my heart to stay :)

Cures a lot. I've been fighting to hold onto it for 3 days and feel so much lighter and peaceful :)

Blessings

Hello! I am new to this website, but I am excited about the possibility of talking to someone else who is going through the same stuff I am.
I guess I will just start by saying that I have an anxiety disorder, and treatment has always meant medication. I am not weening myself off of the behavioral medication, and cursing the day I ever agreed to take a benzo. It is a nightmare getting off the benz.
I haven't thus far found anyone to compare stories, but would love if someone would put themselves out there to talk with me about this!
Its not easy to talk about, but I feel that transparency is really the only way to truly work stuff out. I look forward to any conversations that might come!
I also have an anxiety disorder and have been on disability due to its severity. C. S. Lewis suffered from anxiety and depression after his wife died. He called it an affliction and dealt with by saying one can count it as one experiencing the Passion of Christ. Christ experienced anxiety in the garden before He was arrested. He experienced it so severely He sweated blood. Jesus is with you in your pain. Imagine sitting with Him in the garden as the disciples slept. Imagine Him saying to you...."I feel your pain...lets get through this together". My anxiety stems from childhood sexual assault and from being bullied ...among other forms of abuse. I'll pray for you.

Yes I'm going through the same stuff as you are. It's called GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) usually the worst attack is in the morning or in the middle of the night. The symptoms are: I feel scared, anxious, trembling (sometimes seizures) my hand and feet feels cold, and bad things (or idea) pop into our mind and I cannot stop it until it calms down by itself. I also don't take medication because all I can guess the doctor will only give you some sort of tranquilizer (correct me if my English is bad). It only affect you nerves system and it wont solve your problem. The only way out or perfectly cure this is when depression is gone or the problem is solved. All I can do when it attacks me that I pray and mumbling "God please help" repeat many many times - might sounds like a mentally ill- but it calm me a little bit.
Hope this might help. or at least you don't feel like you're the only one experiencing this.

HI NatalieD! I too struggle with severe anxiety disorder. There are some days when it renders me almost completely dysfunctional. I've had runs of anxiety where I will wake up several times a night already having a full panic attack. Sometimes I wake up screaming (I suffer from PTSD as well - it is the price I paid to have worked in emergency services my entire life). I empathize with your suffering. Since early childhood I have had severe depression as well, but I can honestly say that I can manage depression much better than anxiety. Please know that you are not alone in this. It is so important that those of us who suffer from mental illness speak out to de-stigmatize this invisible injury. It is comforting to know that our Lord, Jesus, suffered all these afflictions in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before he was taken. Christ himself experienced the horror of anxiety and depression.

I have always had the wisdom to know when it is time to get professional help, and I have always relied on God to lean on and help me through the worst of my episodes. I do not like taking medication, but sometimes it is necessary. I know for a fact that without the Lord in my life, I would be much, much worse off than I am. As it is, I feel blessed that I understand what it means to suffer in this manner, so that when my path crosses with those who also suffer this way I can help them, hold out my hand to lift them up, and help them to find God's strength for themselves.

Bless you, and may God bring you peace of mind through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen.

I also have an anxiety disorder and have been on disability due to its severity. C. S. Lewis suffered from anxiety and depression after his wife died. He called it an affliction and dealt with by saying one can count it as one experiencing the Passion of Christ. Christ experienced anxiety in the garden before He was arrested. He experienced it so severely He sweated blood. Jesus is with you in your pain. Imagine sitting with Him in the garden as the disciples slept. Imagine Him saying to you...."I feel your pain...lets get through this together". My anxiety stems from childhood sexual assault and from being bullied ...among other forms of abuse. I'll pray for you.
I'm so sorry you went through that...I also have anxiety and its a pain in the neck...but you're not alone

Hello, NatalieD;
Its nice to meet you and my prayer is you will be encouraged by your new friends in Christ sharing with you at Christian Forum Site.
God bless you and your family!

Welcome to the forum, NatalieD, hope you saw these wonderful posts on this thread and will be replying soon. Thanks for your very honest sharing. You are in my prayers as I know how it can be. You are right in trying to get off the medication. Begin to trust God more and more each day no matter how things may look. And be encouraged by the scripture in my signature below - Hebrews 13:5

"Lord, send your angels to guard and protect Natalie wherever she goes. Lift her up out of this difficulty and set her free as the birds who fly. You care for her with everlasting Love." In the Name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Staff Note: Since the person who started this thread has not been back since March 21, we are closing this thread for now, so the person can catch up on things if and when she returns. She may contact any staff member to reopen the tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back