Any stories of Spirits gift of miraculous powers?

In the following 1 Corinthians 12:10

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another MIRACULOUS POWERS, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

mentions Spirits gift of miraculous powers among others. Now I am not saying that I don’t know anything about it but I was wandering are there any stories recent or from the past that mention some examples of any people who have had or have these miraculous powers and how they worked?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have had miraculous powers worked by the power of the Holy Spirit in my life and they worked marvelously. He really is amazing, isn't He?

Last edited:

4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another MIRACULOUS POWERS, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

mentions Spirits gift of miraculous powers among others. Now I am not saying that I don’t know anything about it but I was wandering are there any stories recent or from the past that mention some examples of any people who have had or have these miraculous powers and how they worked?

Thanks
The only legitimate ones that we have historical records in though are the Apostles themselves, and while God still does do healings and miraclesa at times, none gifted to do such today!

The only legitimate ones that we have historical records in though are the Apostles themselves, and while God still does do healings and miraclesa at times, none gifted to do such today!

Agreed.

Mark 16:14-17........
"Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And these signs shall follow them that believe....".

The "Eleven" were the Apostles and They had the "Sign Gifts". They were able to do all the things that Jesus did.

When the last Apostle died who was John, those Sign Gifts then ended as there is NO record of Apostolic succession found in the Bible....NONE/ZERO.

Thanks

I think that "miraculous powers" opens the door to ones imagination and what one person calls a miracle is what another calls normal life happenings.

The word "Miracle" is a word tossed around way to loosely by believers today.....IMHO.

I realize that this does not apply to anyone here, but the fact is that I have lived long enough to see people exaggerate a normal everyday event into something that it was not in order to make themselves appear to be more spiritual to others who know them.

The root of that is of course "Pride".

Even the Apostle John fell victim to this phenomenon as he said several times......"I am the one Jesus loves the most".

Even the Apostle John fell victim to this phenomenon as he said several times......"I am the one Jesus loves the most".
I am not in agreement here. We can become so cautious of pride that we discount anyone who says anything we wouldn't say. John was trying to be anonymous in his writing as he often did and gave himself a nickname that we could relate to. He actually said,
John 20:2 (NASB) "So she *ran and *came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and *said to them, “They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we do not know where they have put Him.”
John 21:7 (NASB) "Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved *said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment (for he was stripped for work), and threw himself into the sea."

I am not in agreement here. We can become so cautious of pride that we discount anyone who says anything we wouldn't say. John was trying to be anonymous in his writing as he often did and gave himself a nickname that we could relate to. He actually said,
John 20:2 (NASB) "So she *ran and *came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and *said to them, “They have taken the Lord from the tomb, and we do not know where they have put Him.”
John 21:7 (NASB) "Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved *said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” So when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment (for he was stripped for work), and threw himself into the sea."

No debate from me. I think that There are two ways to read and understand those Scriptures.

1. Reading it as an arrogant statement of pride is certainly one,
2. I think it can also be read exactly the opposite way -- as a sign of humility.

Not wanting to name himself in a "me, John, I was there see" way, he could simply be referring to himself based on his identity in relation to Christ.

The point is........did Jesus love John more than anyone else as John stated.....NO!

Imagine you wrote a historical account about a man. (lets say his name is Jim) Jim sacrificed his life so that everyone else on airplane could live. In the historical account, you wrote, you called yourself "the survivor that Jim loved." I mean, Jim did sacrifice his life for you so I assume he did love you but that does not mean that he loved you more than everyone else.

No debate from me. I think that There are two ways to read and understand those Scriptures.

1. Reading it as an arrogant statement of pride is certainly one,
2. I think it can also be read exactly the opposite way -- as a sign of humility.

Not wanting to name himself in a "me, John, I was there see" way, he could simply be referring to himself based on his identity in relation to Christ.

The point is........did Jesus love John more than anyone else as John stated.....NO!

Imagine you wrote a historical account about a man. (lets say his name is Jim) Jim sacrificed his life so that everyone else on airplane could live. In the historical account, you wrote, you called yourself "the survivor that Jim loved." I mean, Jim did sacrifice his life for you so I assume he did love you but that does not mean that he loved you more than everyone else.
A big ole amen here. Very well said, brother.

Agreed.

Mark 16:14-17........
"Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And these signs shall follow them that believe....".

The "Eleven" were the Apostles and They had the "Sign Gifts". They were able to do all the things that Jesus did.

When the last Apostle died who was John, those Sign Gifts then ended as there is NO record of Apostolic succession found in the Bible....NONE/ZERO.
Many believe that the long ending of Mark was inserted by a scribe who knew of the miracles and acts of the Apostles as a way to smooth the abrupt original ending!

I think that "miraculous powers" opens the door to ones imagination and what one person calls a miracle is what another calls normal life happenings.

The word "Miracle" is a word tossed around way to loosely by believers today.....IMHO.

I realize that this does not apply to anyone here, but the fact is that I have lived long enough to see people exaggerate a normal everyday event into something that it was not in order to make themselves appear to be more spiritual to others who know them.

The root of that is of course "Pride".

There have been very few documented real miracles and healings in modern times, especially among the groups that claim that should be an ongoing daily thing!

I think Major that your gift is the gift of knowledge( you are just a bit to technical) and remember all of our gifts are given by the same spirit and we are all together one Body of Christ.

Thanks

Thank you for your comment. However.....isn't that a personal opinion of yours. What you call "technical", most people call something else.

But what you see is not a gift at all Peki. Knowledge is not a gift. What you see here on this site is the result of correct Bible teaching learned at DTS and Liberty University from some of the best Christian teachers who ever lived.

I am a student of God's Word and that is the result of work and study and was not a miraculous gift at all.

I guess it would be correct to say that God gave me a work ethic but then again that ability would have to be given to my father who instilled that in me as a vey young man.

Now, to return to the spirit of this thread........do you know of any "documented" miracles?

Thank you for your comment. However.....isn't that a personal opinion of yours. What you call "technical", most people call something else.

But what you see is not a gift at all Peki. Knowledge is not a gift. What you see here on this site is the result of correct Bible teaching learned at DTS and Liberty University from some of the best Christian teachers who ever lived.

I am a student of God's Word and that is the result of work and study and was not a miraculous gift at all.

I guess it would be correct to say that God gave me a work ethic but then again that ability would have to be given to my father who instilled that in me as a vey young man.

Now, to return to the spirit of this thread........do you know of any "documented" miracles?
Boy, taslk about name dropping some higher schools of education! My senior Pasdtor went to DTS also, and now has earned 2 Doctorates in meantime!

Boy, taslk about name dropping some higher schools of education! My senior Pasdtor went to DTS also, and now has earned 2 Doctorates in meantime!

I apologize for that. I had too much coffee this morning and I paid the price. I should not have done that as it smacks of bragging.

I was very, very blessed by the VA benefits program back in the early 60's. I was paid to go to school and work at a job at the same time.
It just was the plan of God that those two schools were in the VA's program at that time.

No sorry, I have never read of actual miracles, but I have heard somewhere that in order to become an official saint in the Catholic Church you need to have two miracles ascribed to your name.

Thanks

No sorry, I have never read of actual miracles, but I have heard somewhere that in order to become an official saint in the Catholic Church you need to have two miracles ascribed to your name.

Thanks

But the Bible says that "ALL" born again believers are saints.

The idea of the word “saints” is a group of people set apart for the Lord and His kingdom and has nothing at all to do with a miracle.

Peki.....there is NO salvation in miracles!

But the Bible says that "ALL" born again believers are saints.

The idea of the word “saints” is a group of people set apart for the Lord and His kingdom and has nothing at all to do with a miracle.

Peki.....there is NO salvation in miracles!
True, as the Antichrist will do such to emulate Jesus!

I apologize for that. I had too much coffee this morning and I paid the price. I should not have done that as it smacks of bragging.

I was very, very blessed by the VA benefits program back in the early 60's. I was paid to go to school and work at a job at the same time.
It just was the plan of God that those two schools were in the VA's program at that time.
How is your Hebrew and greek skills, rusty or still good?

Back