Anyone Explain The Major Differences Between Calvinism, Lutheranism, And Arminianism?

Calvinism, Lutheranism, and Arminianism? Which one do you find to be the most accurate if any?

• Luthranism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, but I believe some of it is based off the Bible.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can anyone explain the major differences between Calvinism, Lutheranism, and Arminianism? What denominations each goes with? The one you find to be accurate if any. I found a few charts online but honestly they weren't described all too well. I only ask because this question came up the other day.

Thanks

As I understand it:

Some realized, some was made to realized, some was shown to realize and thus realized…

Makes no difference to me : )

The common source of disagreement as I personally see it: is generalization

Some people see it as should be ALL and not SOME, thus, since it is ALL: there has to be only one.... thus, the disagreement…

In my opinion : )

Hi Sir. Each of those words can be used in different ways. First of all, in terms of names for denominations, 'Lutheran' was, and is, used to denote various Protestant church groups that were historically linked with Martin Luther (1483-1546), directly or indictly.

Some of the Protestant denominations especially influenced by the Reformation in Geneva rather than Germany are known as Reformed Churches and are sometimes referred to as Calvinist, in contradistinction to Lutheran.

But doctrinally, Calvinism refers also to a number of things; these include the ideas of John Calvin (1509-1564), and also the ideas of those who purported to be his followers, including in The Netherlands and Scotland.

Calvinism also refers to explanations of Biblical doctrine in contrast with Arminianism; Calvinism tends to stress the sovereignty of God's grace and the certainty of faith; Arminianism tends to stress what is seen as the human agent of faith, sometimes at the expense of grace. Interestingly, Martin Luther wrote a work called 'The Bondage of the Will', which in some ways generally resembles the teaching of Calvin. It is also an historical fact that, despite the nature of the work 'The Bondage of the Will', generations of Lutherans have denied that they are Calvinist, sometimes vehemently so.

While in terms of Calvinism and Arminianism there has been much historical reference to doctrinal discussions in The Netherlands in the 17th century, yet there was also a background of Dutch politics, sometimes quite violent, between different factions within the Dutch Provincial States and the States General. There is also a Remonstrant church which survived since this period, and which has historically claimed to be specifically Arminian in doctrine.

Some avowed Calvinists and Lutherans have tried to use Medieval Scholastic methods to systematize their defence of Biblical doctrine; this has sometimes led them to defend their conception of logical argument vehemently, sometimes at the expense of Scripture itself; but this provokes the question of just how far some professed Protestants have really broken with ways of doing theology which date back to times when the Roman Catholic church was dominant in the Middle Ages.

Some professedly Lutheran and Reformed or Presbyterian churches also maintain the idea, strong in the Middle Ages, that the state and the church should be linked, and that an alliance between the two gives their church precedence over church groups which do not have this link, in theory or in practice; this again provokes the question of just how far they have broken with Medieval thinking in this respect.

Care is needed when trying to use these terms in application to specific ideas, people and groups; and also in interpeting the way these various terms are apparently being used by other people, whether loosely or in a fairly specific way. These terms are thus be used and applied in veried ways, sometimes with polemic intent.

Can anyone explain the major differences between Calvinism, Lutheranism, and Arminianism? What denominations each goes with? The one you find to be accurate if any. I found a few charts online but honestly they weren't described all too well. I only ask because this question came up the other day.
Thanks

No I can't, because I don't follow doctrines of men.

BTW you are one of my favorite actors!

Five point Calvinism

Total Depravity
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement
Irresistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints

They believe man because of his state of total depravity cannot come to God

They believe election was based on God's grace and had nothing to do with man

They believe Christ only died for the elect and not for the whole world

They believe the elect will come to saving faith no matter what, they are guaranteed salvation

They believe no elect person can lose his salvation because he will persevere until the end

Farouk has given a very nice and crisp introduction. There are tons of online articles on the differences. Even Wikipedia has many articles on them

Farouk has given a very nice and crisp introduction. There are tons of online articles on the differences. Even Wikipedia has many articles on them

You'll find others who give better definitions and introductions, as well. What people need to be careful of is labels used in different ways: they can be used to clarify (and sometimes a writer can use them benignly and helpfully up to a point) and they can also be used polemically and in a manner that tends to obscure (the same writer with a viewpoint that is not necessarily apparent immediately can also, after using labels benignly, use some of these terms in an obscurantist way or in a manner that tries to advance a viewpoint, rather than dealing directly with the relevant Scripture passages.)

Again, a lot of prayerful patience and study is a premium. There is no short cut to spiritual discernment by the use of labels in an argumentative fashion. This is a lesson that not a few seminary students fail to learn, regrettably.

Last edited:
As I understand it:

Some realized, some was made to realized, some was shown to realize and thus realized…

Makes no difference to me : )

The common source of disagreement as I personally see it: is generalization

Some people see it as should be ALL and not SOME, thus, since it is ALL: there has to be only one.... thus, the disagreement…

In my opinion : )
Thank you!

Hi Sir. Each of those words can be used in different ways. First of all, in terms of names for denominations, 'Lutheran' was, and is, used to denote various Protestant church groups that were historically linked with Martin Luther (1483-1546), directly or indictly.

Some of the Protestant denominations especially influenced by the Reformation in Geneva rather than Germany are known as Reformed Churches and are sometimes referred to as Calvinist, in contradistinction to Lutheran.

But doctrinally, Calvinism refers also to a number of things; these include the ideas of John Calvin (1509-1564), and also the ideas of those who purported to be his followers, including in The Netherlands and Scotland.

Calvinism also refers to explanations of Biblical doctrine in contrast with Arminianism; Calvinism tends to stress the sovereignty of God's grace and the certainty of faith; Arminianism tends to stress what is seen as the human agent of faith, sometimes at the expense of grace. Interestingly, Martin Luther wrote a work called 'The Bondage of the Will', which in some ways generally resembles the teaching of Calvin. It is also an historical fact that, despite the nature of the work 'The Bondage of the Will', generations of Lutherans have denied that they are Calvinist, sometimes vehemently so.

While in terms of Calvinism and Arminianism there has been much historical reference to doctrinal discussions in The Netherlands in the 17th century, yet there was also a background of Dutch politics, sometimes quite violent, between different factions within the Dutch Provincial States and the States General. There is also a Remonstrant church which survived since this period, and which has historically claimed to be specifically Arminian in doctrine.

Some avowed Calvinists and Lutherans have tried to use Medieval Scholastic methods to systematize their defence of Biblical doctrine; this has sometimes led them to defend their conception of logical argument vehemently, sometimes at the expense of Scripture itself; but this provokes the question of just how far some professed Protestants have really broken with ways of doing theology which date back to times when the Roman Catholic church was dominant in the Middle Ages.

Some professedly Lutheran and Reformed or Presbyterian churches also maintain the idea, strong in the Middle Ages, that the state and the church should be linked, and that an alliance between the two gives their church precedence over church groups which do not have this link, in theory or in practice; this again provokes the question of just how far they have broken with Medieval thinking in this respect.

Care is needed when trying to use these terms in application to specific ideas, people and groups; and also in interpeting the way these various terms are apparently being used by other people, whether loosely or in a fairly specific way. These terms are thus be used and applied in veried ways, sometimes with polemic intent.
Thank you. I googled this online a week ago and everything that I kept finding was totally mixed up. So thus why I came to this forum. I even talked to my mother who didn't really know the differences but thought it was calvinism even though I don't think she knew what calvinism was. I asked her where she learned that and she replied and said at a southern baptist church, but at the time I thought they followed luther. We both know of course the Bible is the ultimate source but it's still interesting to read up on. Thanks again!

I don't either, but yes he's mine as well.

I would suggest you follow your instinct and read the Bible. You won't find anything but truth there, and by the Holy Spirit's help you will understand it and be a Christian, NOT a Calvinist or Arminianist or Lutheran.

Back