Apostolic Succession

Always good to talk with you Sue. From your words it appears that you have the correct grasp of the situation we see in religion.

The idea of apostleship today brings with it a thought of elitism which is contrary to the Word of God.
I agree. Yet, that is not how the apostles regarded themselves. They were humble servants of God who recognized they were no better than the people they served. They considered themselves as fellow-servants with Christ's body, not as lords over it. Yet, in so many of today's modern churches (protestant), so many pastors have gotten this idea, which they communicate to their people, that they are above us, and that they are to lord it over the people, and that they are to require unquestioning loyalty and devotion to them. And, that is dangerous.

I agree. The protestant churches may not use the Catholic terminology, but many are practicing something very similar.

Yes, I think so too : )

In addition, I personally prefer some kinda of organized or hierarchical leadership : )

Key point: Accountability

There appears from time to time, more than false claims/predictions, more on practices that is not within the requirements of a leader as Paul describe: they go unscathed….

Unlike in an organized structure… they can be kicked out….

I agree. Yet, that is not how the apostles regarded themselves. They were humble servants of God who recognized they were no better than the people they served. They considered themselves as fellow-servants with Christ's body, not as lords over it. Yet, in so many of today's modern churches (protestant), so many pastors have gotten this idea, which they communicate to their people, that they are above us, and that they are to lord it over the people, and that they are to require unquestioning loyalty and devotion to them. And, that is dangerous.

Correct! No pastor, or deacon or elder or bishop or priest has more authority than does the everyday common man who has believed upon the Lord Jesus Christ. We are all equal in the sight of Christ. However, just as in a marriage, someone has to be the person accountable to God.

It breaks my heart that so many are being led astray
Amen. The state of Christendom is awful. It breaks my heart too to see my fellow believers caught up in all sorts of religious things of the day which are really not of God. In thinking that, I do have to guard against pride. I can't let myself adopt a superior attitude because I'm apart from these things which I know to be not of God. Am I really apart from them, in my spirit? Is my separation inward as well as outward? That's a test. And I have to take responsibility for all my brethren - responsibility for all the failure in testimony down the ages. That should humble me, and put me in a low place, recognising that it's through grace that I'm saved, and from that place I can get an appreciation of what God is doing now and move in accordance with it.

Last edited:
I do not know for the life of me why you keep saying "denomination teaching". You are wrong!!!
Denominational teaching is a very dangerous thing, and denominationalism is really sectarianism by another name. You make an important point though that it's easy to get onto that line of things. I might gather with believers, simply, without taking any name but Christ's, and I might not be a member of an organisation which has appointed officials, or anything which normally marks a denomination - but I can still get into sectarian thinking. If I start to go out to gather with "the Brethren" and not because I'm drawn to the Name of the Lord Jesus, then I'm making a sect out of my brethren. They become the centre, in my heart. They should be in my heart, but Christ is the Centre. If I start to get narrow in my thinking and focused only only the believers with whom I walk in fellowship, I lose sight of the whole thought of God, the Church in its completeness, composed of every believer. Just because I can't walk in fellowship practically with them all, I still have to hold them in my heart, otherwise I get into sectarian thinking. The eventually leads to the dangerous extreme of claiming that a certain company of believers are THE Church.

Amen.
Just as with Moses and Eldad and Medad.
25Then the LORD came down in the cloud and spoke to him; and He took of the Spirit who was upon him and placed Him upon the seventy elders. And when the Spirit rested upon them, they prophesied. But they did not do it again. 26But two men had remained in the camp; the name of one was Eldad and the name of the other Medad. And the Spirit rested upon them (now they were among those who had been registered, but had not gone out to the tent), and they prophesied in the camp.27So a young man ran and told Moses and said, "Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp." 28Then Joshua the son of Nun, the attendant of Moses from his youth, said, "Moses, my lord, restrain them."29But Moses said to him, "Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the LORD'S people were prophets, that the LORD would put His Spirit upon them!"…

Would that all God's people would humble themselves start walking in the spirit instead of arguing about who, or whose church is of greater authority.
Carnally minded christians will always boost their leader/bishop/priest/minister to the highest possible status, because in their mind, it also places them higher up the pecking order. I know this is true because about 40 years ago, as a novice believer I also got dragged into it before I came to my senses.

We see this even within smaller churches where those close to the leader vehemently defend him against all possible criticism, even when evidence of abuse or criminal activity is overwhelming. His position must be kept safe because should he be brought down, his circle of acolytes also get brought down.
Even the disciples of Jesus acted the same way.

Luke9v49John answered and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow along with us."50But Jesus said to him, "Do not hinder him; for he who is not against you is for you."

So, what does Jesus think about those who chase status and power over others? Here we have James and John asking Jesus for thrones alongside his.
Matthew20v24When the ten heard about this, they were indignant with the two brothers. 25Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.
26 Not so with you.
(Do we all read that, could Jesus be clearer?)
Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,27and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

I personally prefer the company of those who have no interest in status and leadership, the ones whose only interest is listening and following Jesus.

I agree with you, but this isn't about an inordinate "interest in status and leadership".

I do not know for the life of me why you keep saying "denomination teaching". You are wrong!!!

I have explained to you that I was raised in the Penacostal faith, educated in a Presbyterian college and have lived now in the Baptist church. If anyone is NOT denominational it is me. YOU however are entrenched in the Charismatic faith which is fne with me but it is actually your denominational slant that is in view here.

You actually said what I said when you stated...........
" God has never ordained replacement at any time with the one exception of Judas..."!

That is exactly what I said my sister! There is NO Biblical record of the continuation of apostles!! NONE!

I am completely non-denominational. I believe the word of God when God says that He provides all the gifts and callings He lists for the benefit of the Church. Nothing has passed out of "season" while the Lord Jesus Christ is busy building it. Apostle is just one great gift and calling that God is continually providing for the Body of Christ. Denial of this is from a false teaching, and not from the Lord.

Apostle is just one great gift and calling that God is continually providing for the Body of Christ.
My question would be, could you point to anyone alive today and say that they were an apostle? I don't think I could, though I could definitely identify some people who're marked by what's apostolic in character. They come with authority, as sent of God, in a particular matter - and I am bound to recognise their authority in that matter. None of these people I have in mind are public figures, and the matters they've had to deal with aren't public matters, but in dealing with things among the brethren, they showed what is characteristically apostolic. The apostles were used of God in what is foundational. I don't believe that another foundation needs to be laid in the course of the building, and that's why we have "first, apostles" in 1 Corinthians 12:28 - they came first, and after them others with other gifts required in the building up. What is apostolic in character today would really bring the brethren back to that foundation, if any of us happen to have got away from it. I feel we're bound to respect the authority of brethren coming in that character, in order to bring us back to the foundation "which is Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 3:11).

I hope that's right to say, and the brethren must be free to tell me what they think.

Sorry Euphemia, I'm a bit slow on the uptake and can't understand what you mean?

I am seeing this discussion move from the assertion that the bible teaches there is no apostolic succession to a complete denial of the spiritual gifting and calling of apostle in the Body of Christ, to a mention of individuals clamoring after position in the Body of Christ. It's morphing into a whole other discussion.

My question would be, could you point to anyone alive today and say that they were an apostle? I don't think I could, though I could definitely identify some people who're marked by what's apostolic in character. They come with authority, as sent of God, in a particular matter - and I am bound to recognise their authority in that matter. None of these people I have in mind are public figures, and the matters they've had to deal with aren't public matters, but in dealing with things among the brethren, they showed what is characteristically apostolic. The apostles were used of God in what is foundational. I don't believe that another foundation needs to be laid in the course of the building, and that's why we have "first, apostles" in 1 Corinthians 12:28 - they came first, and after them others with other gifts required in the building up. What is apostolic in character today would really bring the brethren back to that foundation, if any of us happen to have got away from it. I feel we're bound to respect the authority of brethren coming in that character, in order to bring us back to the foundation "which is Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 3:11).

I hope that's right to say, and the brethren must be free to tell me what they think.

If a person is making a claim for themselves that they are an apostle, then that is an indication that they just may not be, for it is an arduous calling and no one would want it for themselves. Like yourself, however, I can identify one with the gift of apostle, and who functions in that spiritual calling.

Denominational teaching is a very dangerous thing, and denominationalism is really sectarianism by another name. You make an important point though that it's easy to get onto that line of things. I might gather with believers, simply, without taking any name but Christ's, and I might not be a member of an organisation which has appointed officials, or anything which normally marks a denomination - but I can still get into sectarian thinking. If I start to go out to gather with "the Brethren" and not because I'm drawn to the Name of the Lord Jesus, then I'm making a sect out of my brethren. They become the centre, in my heart. They should be in my heart, but Christ is the Centre. If I start to get narrow in my thinking and focused only only the believers with whom I walk in fellowship, I lose sight of the whole thought of God, the Church in its completeness, composed of every believer. Just because I can't walk in fellowship practically with them all, I still have to hold them in my heart, otherwise I get into sectarian thinking. The eventually leads to the dangerous extreme of claiming that a certain company of believers are THE Church.

Grant, I agree but Euphemia was calling ME a denominational person as if that is a nasty thing which it is not. I was raised among Charismatic Pentecostals, educated in the Presbyterian faith and now at a late age have chosen to attend a Baptist church.

I do believe that the Baptist faith is the closest to Bible teachings that I have personally found which is why I am one.
I am unaware of another Christian faith that operates a Cooperative missionary program as well as they do which drew me to them.
I try my very best to expound the Bible as it is without changes or additions.

I am seeing this discussion move from the assertion that the bible teaches there is no apostolic succession to a complete denial of the spiritual gifting and calling of apostle in the Body of Christ, to a mention of individuals clamoring after position in the Body of Christ. It's morphing into a whole other discussion.
Individuals clamouring after position is the precisely same discussion.
It is status, position, and claims of apostolic succession that has denied the true spiritual ministries and callings of the church.

If a person is making a claim for themselves that they are an apostle, then that is an indication that they just may not be, for it is an arduous calling and no one would want it for themselves. Like yourself, however, I can identify one with the gift of apostle, and who functions in that spiritual calling.

NO ONE can be an apostle today. NO ONE can meet the requirements laid down in the Word of God.

The 12 Apostles held a unique position and If there is such a thing today as an Apostle, how do we then explain Rev. 21:14.......
“The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.”

John saw the names of the 12 Apostles on the wall of New Jerusalem. That could only be the original 12 and not anyone since them as he died in 96 AD. It was these twelve apostles who were the foundation of the church—with Jesus being the cornerstone (Ephesians 2:20).

No biblical evidence exists to indicate that these thirteen apostles were replaced when they died. THERE IS NO RECORD!!!!

Acts 1:21-22.......
"Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”

Peter proposed choosing a new apostle and set the qualifications. Not everyone could be considered for an apostleship. Candidates needed to have been with Jesus during the whole three years that Jesus was among them. That is, he needed to be an eyewitness of Jesus’ baptism when the Heavenly Father validated Jesus’ person and work. He needed to have heard Jesus’ life-changing teachings and been present to see His healings and other miracles. He needed to have witnessed Jesus sacrifice Himself on the cross and to have seen Jesus walk, talk, and eat among the disciples again after His resurrection. These were the pivotal facts of Jesus’ life, the heart of the message they were to teach, and personal witnesses were required to verify the truth of the good news.

We can want there to be and insist there is and demand all sorts of things but there is in fact no Biblical record whatsoever.

It is status, position, and claims of apostolic succession that has denied the true spiritual ministries and callings of the church.

Amen, and would you also agree that a person who claims to be an apostle actually places himself above others by then being beyond accountability with the best example would of course be the Pope of the Catholic church.

Certainly, claims of apostolic succession such as the RCC makes, is a perpetuation of the false idea of hierarchy in the Body of Christ. I gotcha, now!

NO ONE can be an apostle today. NO ONE can meet the requirements laid down in the Word of God.

Yes one can, and there are no requirements laid down in the word of God for apostle, except that one is born again and is submitted to the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Amen, and would you also agree that a person who claims to be an apostle actually places himself above others by then being beyond accountability with the best example would of course be the Pope of the Catholic church.

A person genuinely anointed with the gift/calling of apostle is not one to trumpet it. One who has such a position is acclaimed by others, and not oneself.

Remind them of these things, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God not to wrangle about words, which is useless and leads to the ruin of the hearers. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. But avoid worldly and empty chatter, for it will lead to further ungodliness, and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, men who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and they upset the faith of some. Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wickedness.” ~ 2 Timothy 2:14-19​

In the past couple of days I have been made aware of the doctrine of “apostolic succession.” I was unfamiliar with this doctrine prior to a few days ago. Since it is being taught in Christian circles as truth, I felt the Lord would have me investigate it, and learn what it was about, and test it against the word of God to see if it was truth. So, I set out to do that a few days ago, and I will now share what I believe the Lord has taught me so far, because I believe this falls into this category of “worldly and empty chatter,” which is spreading like gangrene, or has the potential to do so, and is, or could possibly be a teaching that would upset the faith of some and lead them astray to a false gospel and a false belief.

Definition of Apostolic Succession: "The doctrine maintaining that present-day successors to Jesus's apostles, i.e. the bishops, have the same spiritual authority, power, and responsibility conferred upon them as did the original apostles" - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/apostolic+succession

From what I can ascertain about this belief, it appears that the thought is that there are those who have received the gift of apostleship by way of succession, much like a prince might receive the crown from his father who was the king, after the father dies. The thought is that Jesus passed his authority down to his apostles who then passed their authority down to other apostles, and so on and so forth, and that these who have received apostleship by way of succession are in a class all to themselves above others (a hierarchy), again much like royalty, as compared to or in contrast to the common person who is not royalty. A hierarchy is “government by an elite group; government by ecclesiastical rulers;” and/or “the power or dominion of a hierarch,” which is “a person who rules or has authority in sacred matters; high priest” - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hierarchy.

I believe the Lord is saying this is a false doctrine, based in the lies of human beings, who have cooked this up out of their own minds. The foundation for this belief is not Jesus Christ, but it is man (human flesh), and this human flesh, from which this doctrine is coming, is at some of the highest levels in the land. Yet, there are those who are embracing this doctrine, and are holding on to it tenaciously, with their minds. Yet, the power through which this belief comes is not the Holy Spirit of God, but the flesh of man. These who are holding to the belief of “apostolic succession” have, thus, separated themselves from the body of believers in that they see themselves as superior, a class unto themselves, and there seems to be a desire among them, as well, to lord it over the people, rather than to humbly see themselves as one of us, i.e. as fellow-servants of Christ and of his gospel.

So, what is an apostle? “Apóstolos (from apostéllō, ‘to commission, send forth’) – properly, someone sent (commissioned), focusing back on the authority (commissioning) of the sender (note the prefix, apo); apostle; a messenger, one sent on a mission,” etc. - http://biblehub.com/greek/652.htm.​

So, to be an apostle of Jesus Christ, we need to be commissioned by Jesus Christ himself, to be sent on a mission, to be his messenger, and to represent him. This is not something someone can inherit from another human being, like in a blood-line, of sorts, but we must be called of God, empowered by the Spirit of God, and commissioned by God himself to do whatever it is he has called us to do. The Holy Spirit gives gifts as he chooses, and God assigns roles within the body of Christ as he determines, not as man determines, and not through some succession from one man to another to another. Let’s compare this to:

“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light” (1 Pet. 2:9).

So, what is this saying? Under the old order of things, i.e. under the Old Covenant, there was an order of priests who served as mediators between God and man. They were the ones who would make sacrifices for people’s sins, once a year, and they were the only ones, I believe, who could enter into the Holy of Holies, where the Ark of the Covenant was housed, and in which was God’s presence. Yet, when Jesus Christ died, the veil that separated us from the Holy of Holies was torn in two. In other words, through Jesus’ death for our sins, the barrier that stood between humans and God’s presence was destroyed, and a way was opened up for us to be able to come into God’s presence, through the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ. “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing.” “To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever” (Rev. 5:12, 13b). He is the one who is to be high and lifted up, not man. He is our only high priest!

When we believe in Jesus Christ to be Lord and Savior of our lives, we are indwelt with his Holy Spirit. We, thus, become the body of Christ, his church, the temple of God. The Holy of Holies now dwells within us. We no longer need human priests to mediate between us and God, for we can go directly into God’s presence. Jesus Christ is our hierarchy, not man. Since we are now the body of Christ, we are a holy and a royal priesthood, and we have been commissioned by God for his service, to proclaim him who has called us out of darkness into his wonderful light. We are all his servants and messengers. As his body, we are his representatives. We have the Word of God dwelling within us, so we no longer need prophets or apostles, in the sense of those who speak God’s God-breathed words to us. God can speak directly to each and every one of us. We have the written word of God, as well, in which we can be taught God’s words to us. And, the Holy Spirit is our primary teacher.

Now, within the body of Christ, the Holy Spirit gives gifts to all followers of Christ, as he chooses, and God assigns us the parts in the body, which he determines. But, we are all parts of one body, fellow servants together, chosen by God for his service, and not one of us is to be placed above another. One plants, another waters, but it is God who makes all things grow. We are all merely servants of God through whom he works for his purposes and for his glory. We do have teachers, but what they teach is the Word of God. We have those who prophesy, but what they do is proclaim the Word of God in very practical ways as is applied to our world and our lives today. We have appointed leaders, but they are to lead by example, and to not lord it over the people. Their purpose is to help nurture us in our walks of faith to maturity, to give guidance and direction, to keep order and discipline, and to direct the affairs of the church with love, justice and mercy. But, we are all fellow workers together in God’s kingdom, and all answerable to Christ, who is our only head.

So, if someone comes to you with this teaching of “apostolic succession,” reject it, because it is not of God. Jesus Christ is our only King and Lord, and He alone is to be High and Lifted Up! We are ALL his servants and messengers, commissioned by him for his service.

Your Servant Witness / An Original Work / March 13, 2012

Humbly I bow, Lord, before You,
Bringing my requests to You.
May I listen; hear You speaking.
May I follow You in truth.
Gently lead me in Your service.
Guide my steps and strengthen me.
Fill me with Your love and mercy.
May I live for Thee!

Let me be Your servant witness,
Telling others of Your grace.
May I always share the gospel
With those I meet face to face.
May I show the love of Jesus,
Caring for the needs of men;
Be Your servant witness always
For my Lord, Amen!

My desire to be like Jesus,
Living for Him ev’ry day.
May I obey all His teachings
Given me, so I’ll not stray.
Love You, Jesus, Lord, my master.
You are the King of my heart;
Follow You where’er You lead me;
Not from You depart!

This all began because I read a blog of someone's who is reputable in the Christian community, and it concerned me greatly that he was teaching "apostolic succession." Although this subject was new to me, I could tell from what he was writing that this doctrine was not good. He was not teaching the scriptures, but he was teaching a philosophy of human origin and he quoted much from men from the 3rd century, or around that period of time, in order to support his theology. I believed the Lord would have me investigate this further, because I saw how this has been influencing the protestant church here in America for at least 20 years, that I know of. So, I asked for your input. But, I don't believe God would be pleased with us arguing and fighting with each other over words, but for us to see what the scriptures teach concerning the life of the church today, how to avoid false teaching, and how to put on the truth. The post (above) is what the Lord taught me through all of this, and I believe, if you would read it, that it might help clear things up. I don't believe we should get caught up in titles, but we should just be humble servants of Christ.

If a person is making a claim for themselves that they are an apostle, then that is an indication that they just may not be
I quite agree, and none of the people I have in mind would ever claim to be an apostle, or demand to be heard on account of any claim of gift or authority. There's simply something about them which is spiritually discerned by those around them.

Back