Are You A Slave To God?

When I read the book of Romans I get confused sometimes because it is a very difficult book to read. It is packed full of theology. In fact if any book defines Christianity it is the book of Romans.

I was just reading Romans Six. It is about going from being a slave to sin to being a slave to God. According to Paul we are all slaves to something or someone. Either we are slaves to sin or slaves to God. Slavery means that someone owns us. We must obey that master.

If we are in slavery to sin we obey that master. We can’t help it. How many times do you see people that have addictions? We wonder why they can’t just stop taking drugs, drinking, gambling, shopping, or etc., etc., etc. There are so many things that can catch us in today’s world. It is because they are owned by the addiction. They are slaves to it. These addictions and sins eventually destroy us. Some people will see their slavery to an addiction and become rehabilitated. However, some people never see it and they die a sad and horrible death at the hands of the addiction that owns them.

What happens when we turn from our sins and are a slave to God? According to Romans 6:23 “you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” We rarely think that we are slaves to God. We have accepted the doctrine of cheap grace today. Some live in blatant sin but still claim that Jesus is their Savior.

We believe that we are in charge of our own destiny today. We are to an extent. We have a choice as to whom and what we serve, but once we decide we change masters. Jesus owns us. He is in charge of our lives. Paul says many times he is a “bondservant of Christ.” That means you obey and He takes care of you.

Are you a bondservant of Christ or do you feel like you are in charge of your own destiny and Jesus is just “along for the ride?” Allowing Jesus to be your master means you have eternal life and His provision and protection.

Speaking with a friend yesterday, we we considering the questions "What does it mean to make Jesus Lord of your life"? It's a phrase often used by Christians everywhere, yet so many then also claim to be slaves to sin. Either sin is our master or God is.

A slave is someone who is not free, has nothing to say over their own lives. They can't choose their master.

Allowing God to be your Master is a choice you make out of free will.

Yeah, the term "slave" is such a strange one to me. Like BusyDarling pointed out, choosing Christianity is exactly that--a choice.
But often the term "slave" means without a choice.

The word "servant" is much easier to grasp because when I think of a servant, I think of someone who is voluntarily doing something for someone else. When I think of a slave, I think of someone who is doing it whether they want to or not.

However, there's gotta be more to the phrase than just that. For instance, when someone chooses to follow God, the Holy Spirit works through them in a way it never has before. What was once seen as not a big deal may come to light as something absolutely wrong or right. Perhaps we've become enslaved to a new means of thought. For instance, I was never one to use four-letter words as much, but I may have spoken pretty negatively. But the more my faith grew, the more I couldn't escape that even just speaking negatively and harshly may be something that I should address.

So if the word "slave" is being used the way I think St. Paul is using it, then we should all strive to not just be servants of God, but to even become slaves.

It's a very unattractive expression, but maybe an appropriate one.

Part of the difficulty may be the modern understanding of the word "slave".
Even a slave has choices. he may always rebel, or run off.

"slave to sin" is an apt term. because sin really does enslave, the more involved in sin you become the less able you are to resist sin

a "slave to God" is a willing servant, and the more he serves God, the better he likes it

A slave is someone who is not free, has nothing to say over their own lives. They can't choose their master.

Allowing God to be your Master is a choice you make out of free will.

A bond servant makes a choice to be in service to the master for the rest of his life. In return the master takes care of his servant. It isn't like the slavery that we had in America. It is out of trust and respect for the master that the bond servant gives his or her life to the master.

Greetings:
Yes.
God can put anything in my soul that he wants.I've been out in the world,and it's evil;they even poisoned my cat with their lethal cat-food additives.Mother-Nature use to be healthful to your being,not anymore.Under the Lord's wing,is the only true place one
can put their trust and family.

bye

I agree. I think the word servant is more apt. Jesus told his disciples to be servants. A slave in the days of Paul was someone who had little choice or opinion, practically no freedom to express anything. While a servant implies someone who is always ready willingly to please his/her master, ready to respond to a petition that pleases the master
We as christians are servants to the Lord. We serve him with our petitions, prayers, songs, praises, worship, obedience and love for him and we do it freely and willingly.
The more I know him the more I am in love with him. Thank you Jesus for loving me first!!. Blessings Julio191

I get what everyone is saying, and I find it interesting. Let me ask this then. A servant may leave his master's service at any time, and slave cannot. Slavery is basically eternal, or until the master chooses to grant freedom.

Since my understanding is that most here believe in OSAS, wouldn't a slave to Christ be more appropriate in this instance?

Mostly, It's just a theoretical play on words, but I'm curious so humor me.

I get what everyone is saying, and I find it interesting. Let me ask this then. A servant may leave his master's service at any time, and slave cannot. Slavery is basically eternal, or until the master chooses to grant freedom.

Since my understanding is that most here believe in OSAS, wouldn't a slave to Christ be more appropriate in this instance?

You'll have to explain what OSAS is, because as far as I know, it stands for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (I was tested back in 2009 :p )

1. a lot of the 2nd testament is talking to saints. People that have been called by God to be servants.

2. No one can come to the Father unless the Father draws them.

3. God is very selective. This is an attribute that can easily be seen throughout the whole bible. Even Jesus was selective who He choose to be the disciples. Jesus also said that it wasn't for everyone to know what His gospel was/is.

4. I'm stopping before I get banned for sharing the Truth.

You'll have to explain what OSAS is, because as far as I know, it stands for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (I was tested back in 2009 :p )

Once Saved Always Saved. It's a pretty standard Calvinist and Baptist doctrine.

4. I'm stopping before I get banned for sharing the Truth.

Nobody ever gets banned for telling the truth, or even the truth as they see it. Bans only happen when a member repeatedly refuses to treat others with respect. Even unpopular opinions and doctrines are generally permitted so long as they are respectful and not argumentative.

Nobody ever gets banned for telling the truth, or even the truth as they see it. Bans only happen when a member repeatedly refuses to treat others with respect. Even unpopular opinions and doctrines are generally permitted so long as they are respectful and not argumentative.

Roger dodger banner. Thanks for the reply. I actually needed that.

I thought Obstructive Sleep Apnea too.
And though you may be once saved always saved, you can still choose not to serve the Lord, to wander off, to sin.

I gotcha.
I think perhaps if you hold the OSAS position, then the word "slave" could pertain appropriately. I still hold the position that even outside of the OSAS position, one could be seen as a slave for God the way I described it. Many people, for instance, can be a slave to their own conscience. The Holy Spirit, being far more power, could easily be what enslaves...which is a good thing.

I think it's pretty clear that Paul was speaking metaphorically and didn't mean "slaves" in a literal sense. He even says in verse 19, "I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations".

I think it's pretty clear that Paul was speaking metaphorically and didn't mean "slaves" in a literal sense. He even says in verse 19, "I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations".

I'm not sure anyone's taking it literally as meaning people are entrapped against their will. But the question is what does it mean? Why "slave?" Is it a valid term? Why not simply servant as it's a choice. Etc. etc.

I think it's pretty clear that it's just a phrase (like an idiom), like "You're a slave to your desires". That's all.

Back