Are you for or against beating children?

This is a common misuse of words. there's a different in beating a child and whipping them. a whipping is nothing more than simple discipine, a beating is a whipping to the point that it causes bodily harm.

Beating, i am against as i myself was beated once. Whipping, i am all for it. a child can't learn not to do something if you don't discipline them. the best way to discipline a child is to let them feel the pain, even though it may only last a little while, it is evident that they understand they did something wrong. you must explain that they did something wrong, what it was, how they will be punnished, and then always enforce a punnishment, but never more than once. don't whip a child twice for the same mistake. that's all it is, is a mistake. they may know before hand that they've done wrong, but it's a mistake that they did it and they'll learn the diff.

Final answer, i'm all for a whipping, but not beating.

cd

Such discussions bother me. All children need the following:
1. To be taught what is right and wrong.
2. To have right and wrong actions "exposed".
3. To be warned if wrong action continues.
4. To be punished if wrong action continues.

You can read about all of the above actions in a booklet I wrote. You can download it here: Loving Limits Book

It is not a question on spanking or "beating", but on disciplining children properly.

Mark

Amen! lol. that's pretty much what i said, but hey, the material is pretty cool. My Niece and nephew (spl?) are not disciplined at all, i wish their parents say that info.

cd

I am a Dad.

I am very thankfull to our Lord Jesus for guiding me everyday with my Children.

We have to be very carelfull here when we talk about this issue.

There is a big diference between beating a child and disciplining a child.

When a child is beaten, they are being abused, and thats a crime !

My Father, when he was a youth lived with his uncle at there farm. He was continuously beaten up by his own uncle. He fled from there after he hooked up and got married to my Mom and had my Brother and me. We came here to the USA to start a new life.
My Dad was realy hurt beacuse of this sad sad family member. :mad:

Disciplining a child is the right thing to do. What I mean is, we need to correct them when they do or say something bad.
It shows them that we care enough to instruct them correctly. If we dont correct children then we are in big trouble. They will never respect us when they grow up if we never corect them when they are younsters

Please check out this out.

Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:15 (KJV) Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
(this does not mean to use a rod, but you get the message)

Proverbs 23:13 (NLT-New Living Translation).
Dont fail to correct your children. They wont die if you spank them.

(but please remember there is a diferance between Beating, and Loving corection/a spank on the butt, a strong look cast in there direction, a stern word of warning to behave or they'l loose time with there favorite toy or hobbie.)

A tap on the bottom with your hand is very different than abusing them.

Im not trying to sound like a liberal here or a tree hugger :D :D :D
Im a Conservative.
This is Just what I beleive to be true.

Jesus Bless You all. :)

Beating How?!

mysaviorisjesus said:
I think they need it sometimes. Once my son used the lord's name in vain and he relaly deserved it.

Brethren,

You've got to be very careful in these days how
we 'term' and 'use' words!

The child welfare system just loves to 'remove' a
child from a home a lot of times by someone telling
them they heard that 'so and so''s child was being
'beaten' repeatedly!

I know a few cases where Christian couples were
devastated when a do gooder thought they were
doing the right thing. Had their children taken away
and given to the children's protective services!

All they were doing was 'following' God's way of
showing discipline 'according' to His Word!

Proverb 22:15: Foolishness is bound in the heart of a
child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Beating a child connotes an 'ungodly' manner in which
to 'discipline' an unruly child!

The movies almost always invariably show a s--called
Christian, especially a 'minister' of the Gospel, going
crazy in a 'religious' frenzy 'beating' a poor child with
a stick, whip, belt while expounding scripture usually
taken out of context!! :mad:

On the other-side of this where a child is 'not' being
properly disciplined by God's Word,... you are going to
invariably 'raise' a juvenile delinquent!

Proverb 13:24: He that spareth his rod hateth his son:
but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Our son Jason was brought up to be disciplined by
God's command in His word. He has grown up to
be a wonderful and fine Christian man! Praise God!!

Proverb 22:15: Foolishness is bound in the heart of
a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far
from him.

Proverb 23:14: Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and
shalt deliver his soul from hell.

God put a lot of 'padding' on a child's backside to endure
'proper' and biblical discipline.

Proverb 23:13: Withhold not correction from the child:
for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Proverb 19:18: Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let
not thy soul spare for his crying.

God Bless,

Set Free!

Set Free! said:
Brethren,

You've got to be very careful in these days how
we 'term' and 'use' words!
I agree.

There is nothing wrong with discipline. My parents disciplined me and I don't feel abused. Instead, I feel I'm a better person because of it.

Hebrews 12:
5And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?
8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!
10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.
11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

I Agree.

The Bible to me makes it clear how to discipline, not beat a child
that really needs it.

Brothers Set Free! and His Many Songs I feel sum up it up just
like God's word says.

My thoughts on it is a scripture that I think goes with what they're
saying.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverb 22:6.

I believe that this scripture includes proper disciplining. A good swat a few times on a kid's butt! :eek:

Peace Be Unto You All,

WPN-X

I think that there have been some wonderful (non-beating/spanking) dicipline suggestions over the past years given on talk shows and similar. I was spanked growing up and I don't feel abused either but times are changing and my wife and I have chosen just to take things/privledges away for undesired behavior and also always follow thru when you threaten to do so. Being consistent brings respect. Now we only have one child and she is only five years old....but so far this has brought us success.

Corporal Discipline

"The best thing in the world for a child is a pat on the back; as long as it's often enough, hard enough, and low enough."

-Anonymous-

SLE

I believe we must teach our little blessings from God anyway possible. Meaning ,as a last resort I will spank my children but , we should always try other things first like prayer,read Gods word to see what He wants us to do,and let it be in love not anger.A spanking wont kill ure kid and possibly might teach him or her theres a consequence for every action .

God bless

hi

I posted once about the same subject already but I would like to share it again.

My daughter has 6 year old son and she gives him light spanking in his butt when he is being naughty. He does not feel pain but does not like it because his favorite mama is giving him disapproval.

Spanking should be very lightly and it does not work if parent and the child don't have good, loving relationship. Loving relationship is a must for disciplining children.

Thank you.:)

The word "BEATING" in the first post in this thread is a very poor choice of words.

A 'correction' by using a flat palm on the posterior padding that God provided to His creation along with an explaination of right and wrong in terms that the child at his or her age can understand and why this correction is taking place in a CALM and NON-ANGRY demeanor is fully acceptable... except to those on a certain side of the political scene who just let the kids do whatever they wish to do and allow them to become unruly, undisciplined and ungodly copies of themselves.

A child should never be struck anywhere else but the butt. To stike the face, torso, etc., places the physical and emotional health of the child at risk and is not acceptable under any circumstances. That type of physical abuse may change the child into something that may not be able to be dealt with easilly later in life.

disclipline in children

Hi all im new to all of this . HOwever i have found this topic to be something of interest. Since I am a mother of 1 in his terrible two's i might add. And then again, I am a Daycare provider caring for children with in my home. With the state, With the state I am not allowed to use only disclipline that is " time out". some of these children ( for daycare) they need some disclipline with in the homes. With my 2 year old son if hes learning bad behaviors, then punishment is apart of the package.. Just for him to learn right from wrong since alot of the kids this day in age have none of it.. Not to forget the respect of others as well.

Personally, I think children should be disciplined in order to learn and grow up, but in moderation and in the correct way. Punishing children should be done out of love and not just to punish, or hurt them, or for the adult to vent their feelings.

NotJustACarpenter said:
I was spanked growing up and I don't feel abused either but times are changing and my wife and I have chosen just to take things/privileges away for undesired behavior and also always follow thru when you threaten to do so. Being consistent brings respect. Now we only have one child and she is only five years old....but so far this has brought us success.
Your approach is admirable and hopefully it will continue to work as your child matures. With the upbringing of our son, we found similar success, until he began to exert some independence. At that time children begin to show some belligerence...to challenge authority. A parent has to maintain control. Sometimes the child will back down, but eventually they confront you. At that moment I found that a hand to the backside was a suitable remedy. It let's them know that (in accord with the scriptures) there are times when "might makes right."

I believe there is a big difference between a beating and a little spanking- never beat a child and never discipline them when you are angry.

When a child is beaten, they are being abused, and thats a crime!

Beating a child actually is not a crime as long as you don't use your fist. You can slap your child as long as the mark, if there is one, does not last for a certain amount of time.

I believe that beating your child is only needed when a child is being overly rude to you. But I also belive that spanking shouldn't be used.

?
Oh yeah I never liked spanking at your age either:D !

Back