Are you in Fear?

Some of us are seriously sick. Some of us are worried about our jobs. I see anxiety all around.

A few verses of the Lord’s directions and those of men He has raised as leaders (see what they have in common):

After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.”
Genesis 15:1

God heard the lad crying; and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter with you, Hagar? Do not fear, for God has heard the voice of the lad where he is.
Genesis 21:17

The LORD appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; Do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you, and multiply your descendants, For the sake of My servant Abraham.”
Genesis 26:24

But Moses said to the people, “Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever.
Exodus 14:13

Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin.”
Exodus 20:20

But the LORD said to Moses, “Do not fear him, for I have given him into your hand, and all his people and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon, king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon.”
Numbers 21:34

See, the LORD your God has placed the land before you; go up, take possession, as the LORD, the God of your fathers, has spoken to you. Do not fear or be dismayed.’
Deuteronomy 1:21

See, the LORD your God has placed the land before you; go up, take possession, as the LORD, the God of your fathers, has spoken to you. Do not fear or be dismayed.’

Then I said to you, ‘Do not be shocked, nor fear them.
Deuteronomy 1:29

But the LORD said to me, ‘Do not fear him, for I have delivered him and all his people and his land into your hand; and you shall do to him just as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon.’
Deuteronomy 3:2

Do not fear them, for the LORD your God is the one fighting for you.’
Deuteronomy 3:22

The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
Deuteronomy 31:8

Now the LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear or be dismayed. Take all the people of war with you and arise, go up to Ai; see, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, his people, his city, and his land.
Joshua 8:1

The LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands; not one of them shall stand before you.”
Joshua 10:8

Joshua then said to them, “Do not fear or be dismayed! Be strong and courageous, for thus the LORD will do to all your enemies with whom you fight.”
Joshua 10:25

The LORD said to him, “Peace to you, do not fear; you shall not die.”
Judges 6:23

Now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you whatever you ask, for all my people in the city know that you are a woman of excellence.
Ruth 3:11

Samuel said to the people, “Do not fear. You have committed all this evil, yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart.
1 Samuel 12:20

So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”
2 Kings 6:16

Then you will prosper, if you are careful to observe the statutes and the ordinances which the LORD commanded Moses concerning Israel. Be strong and courageous, do not fear nor be dismayed.
1 Chronicles 22:13

Then David said to his son Solomon, “Be strong and courageous, and act; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you nor forsake you until all the work for the service of the house of the LORD is finished.
1 Chronicles 28:20

and he said, “Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the LORD to you, ‘Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God’s.
2 Chronicles 20:15

You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the LORD on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out to face them, for the LORD is with you.”
2 Chronicles 20:17

“Be strong and courageous, do not fear or be dismayed because of the king of Assyria nor because of all the horde that is with him; for the one with us is greater than the one with him.
2 Chronicles 32:7

When I saw their fear, I rose and spoke to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people: “Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your houses.”
Nehemiah 4:14

But the former governors who were before me laid burdens on the people and took from them bread and wine besides forty shekels of silver; even their servants domineered the people. But I did not do so because of the fear of God.
Nehemiah 5:15

The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?
Psalms 118:6

Therefore thus says the Lord GOD of hosts, “O My people who dwell in Zion, do not fear the Assyrian who strikes you with the rod and lifts up his staff against you, the way Egypt did.
Isaiah 10:24

Get yourself up on a high mountain, O Zion, bearer of good news, Lift up your voice mightily, O Jerusalem, bearer of good news; Lift it up, do not fear. Say to the cities of Judah, “Here is your God!”
Isaiah 40:9

‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
Isaiah 41:10

“For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, ‘Do not fear, I will help you.’
“Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you,” declares the LORD, “and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.
Isaiah 41:13-15

But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!
Isaiah 43:1

“Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, And gather you from the west.
Isaiah 43:5

Thus says the LORD who made you And formed you from the womb, who will help you, ‘Do not fear, O Jacob My servant; And you Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
Isaiah 44:2

“Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, A people in whose heart is My law; Do not fear the reproach of man, Nor be dismayed at their revilings.
Isaiah 51:7

“Fear not, for you will not be put to shame; And do not feel humiliated, for you will not be disgraced; But you will forget the shame of your youth, And the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.
Isaiah 54:4

You drew near when I called on You; You said, “Do not fear!”
O Lord, You have pleaded my soul’s cause; You have redeemed my life.
Lamentations 3:57-58

Do not fear, O land, rejoice and be glad, For the LORD has done great things.
Joel 2:21

‘As for the  promise which I made you when you came out of Egypt, My Spirit is abiding in your midst; do not fear!’
Haggai 2:5

It will come about that just as you were a curse among the nations, O house of Judah and house of Israel, so I will save you that you may become a blessing. Do not fear; let your hands be strong.’
Zechariah 8:13

so I have again purposed in these days to do good to Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. Do not fear!
Zechariah 8:15

“Then I will draw near to you for judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers and against the adulterers and against those who swear falsely, and against those who oppress the wage earner in his wages, the widow and the orphan, and those who turn aside the  alien and do not fear Me,” says the LORD of hosts.
Malachi 3:5

“Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.
Matthew 10:26

Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in  hell.
Matthew 10:28

So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
Matthew 10:31

and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not fear, from now on you will be catching men.”
Luke 5:10

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
Luke 12:7

But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED,
1 Peter 3:14

Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
Revelation 2:10

Hello Siloam;

Thank you for sharing.

I'm encouraging our church family during the pandemic, most of us staying at home, to use this time to draw closer to Jesus - pray, study the Word, sing a praise song, take care of our families, take care of those projects around the house, but most of all, stay in the heart of worship.

Your thread gives us more to focus on reading and reflecting on Jesus and less on anxiousness.

Thank you Siloam for putting all these many scriptures on 'fear' in one place. I'm sure that many people will benefit from them.

xxx

It's a good idea to only watch 1 news report a day if you're prone to worry. About a month ago I'd watch a morning report on the virus and then feel anxious for awhile. But then 1 morning I woke up and started to pray about the virus. We can't be 100% certain but I think the general ungodliness of the world could be why God has allowed this virus to happen. Even so, I ask God to please remove the virus from the planet but if He isn't ready to do that then please keep all of us who love Him safe during this trouble. That was the morning I stopped feeling anxious. I believe God is in control of everything and nothing happens without His permission. I especially believe that no one dies without God's permission, even though we usually can't see why God would allow a particular person's death. I've been dealing with this since I was 6 yrs old.
The only way to survive this pandemic is through faith that the Lord has the situation under control. There's no reason to feel afraid.

It's a good idea to only watch 1 news report a day if you're prone to worry. About a month ago I'd watch a morning report on the virus and then feel anxious for awhile. But then 1 morning I woke up and started to pray about the virus. We can't be 100% certain but I think the general ungodliness of the world could be why God has allowed this virus to happen. Even so, I ask God to please remove the virus from the planet but if He isn't ready to do that then please keep all of us who love Him safe during this trouble. That was the morning I stopped feeling anxious. I believe God is in control of everything and nothing happens without His permission. I especially believe that no one dies without God's permission, even though we usually can't see why God would allow a particular person's death. I've been dealing with this since I was 6 yrs old. The only way to survive this pandemic is through faith that the Lord has the situation under control. There's no reason to feel afraid.

Hello, John T;

You give an excellent suggestion regarding watching 1 news report a day. At first my wife and I would get different reporting views and (sigh) those opinions that actually triggered anxiousness. We found ourselves putting too much stock in the media instead of total trust in the Lord.

We zeroed in on one news report that actually gives us straight up reporting. It helped to minimize the worry but our serious concerns remain regarding the pandemic.

Thank you for sharing, John.

We have reports at church, we know of two who died in families around the world in our church family.

God cries over each one.

We have members who are at sea and can't get home.

We have those who are elderly and disabled or isolated who need to get supplies.

This is very real to us. We have (myself included) uncertainties about ongoing employment. Thankfullly our govt is paying us to stay home and we have wage subsidies, other govts are not so kind.

We have supermarkets open but sometimes the lines are going round the block. For people with larger families, it can be a strain especially since in nz homes are smaller (I have seen some homes in the US, they are HUGE) and many do not have insulation.

For some people, it may not affect them at all and life can go on as usual. Good for you. But for those of us who are poor, and I would place myself in the poor category, it's not as easy as you think. Certainly I am not rich enough to tithe a tenth of my income!!

However we are rich in Christ and that is all that matters. If you are sealed in Christ, you are His and nothing can snatch us out of His hand.

it's not as easy as you think.
Who do you think said this situation is easy? I don't know anyone who thinks this is easy. I'm in NYS and the news says we have more cases than any other country in the entire world. Additionally, last I heard we have over 7,000 deaths. In spite of all this I know a couple in the state of Florida who are pretending this virus is not real. They are going out and living exactly the same as they did before the world heard of Covid-19. I kinda lost it with the wife yesterday and told her that if everyone did what they are doing the virus would be totally out of control. Sad. We are being told that here in NY the curve is leveling off. But they also tell us this is due to social distancing and all the other sacrifices the majority of us are making.
I also want to say that couple in Fl. are staunch New Age type people. I seriously dislike anything New Age, and with good reason as these 2 are demonstrating.

God Bless us

Some of us are seriously sick. Some of us are worried about our jobs. I see anxiety all around.

A few verses of the Lord’s directions and those of men He has raised as leaders (see what they have in common):

After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.”
Genesis 15:1

God heard the lad crying; and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter with you, Hagar? Do not fear, for God has heard the voice of the lad where he is.
Genesis 21:17

The LORD appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; Do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you, and multiply your descendants, For the sake of My servant Abraham.”
Genesis 26:24

But Moses said to the people, “Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever.
Exodus 14:13

Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin.”
Exodus 20:20

But the LORD said to Moses, “Do not fear him, for I have given him into your hand, and all his people and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon, king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon.”
Numbers 21:34

Then I said to you, ‘Do not be shocked, nor fear them.
Deuteronomy 1:29

But the LORD said to me, ‘Do not fear him, for I have delivered him and all his people and his land into your hand; and you shall do to him just as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon.’
Deuteronomy 3:2

Do not fear them, for the LORD your God is the one fighting for you.’
Deuteronomy 3:22

The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
Deuteronomy 31:8

Now the LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear or be dismayed. Take all the people of war with you and arise, go up to Ai; see, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, his people, his city, and his land.
Joshua 8:1

The LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands; not one of them shall stand before you.”
Joshua 10:8

Joshua then said to them, “Do not fear or be dismayed! Be strong and courageous, for thus the LORD will do to all your enemies with whom you fight.”
Joshua 10:25

The LORD said to him, “Peace to you, do not fear; you shall not die.”
Judges 6:23

Now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you whatever you ask, for all my people in the city know that you are a woman of excellence.
Ruth 3:11

Samuel said to the people, “Do not fear. You have committed all this evil, yet do not turn aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart.
1 Samuel 12:20

So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”
2 Kings 6:16

Then you will prosper, if you are careful to observe the statutes and the ordinances which the LORD commanded Moses concerning Israel. Be strong and courageous, do not fear nor be dismayed.
1 Chronicles 22:13

Then David said to his son Solomon, “Be strong and courageous, and act; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you nor forsake you until all the work for the service of the house of the LORD is finished.
1 Chronicles 28:20

and he said, “Listen, all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem and King Jehoshaphat: thus says the LORD to you, ‘Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God’s.
2 Chronicles 20:15

You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the LORD on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out to face them, for the LORD is with you.”
2 Chronicles 20:17

“Be strong and courageous, do not fear or be dismayed because of the king of Assyria nor because of all the horde that is with him; for the one with us is greater than the one with him.
2 Chronicles 32:7

When I saw their fear, I rose and spoke to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people: “Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your houses.”
Nehemiah 4:14

But the former governors who were before me laid burdens on the people and took from them bread and wine besides forty shekels of silver; even their servants domineered the people. But I did not do so because of the fear of God.
Nehemiah 5:15

The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me?
Psalms 118:6

Therefore thus says the Lord GOD of hosts, “O My people who dwell in Zion, do not fear the Assyrian who strikes you with the rod and lifts up his staff against you, the way Egypt did.
Isaiah 10:24

Get yourself up on a high mountain, O Zion, bearer of good news, Lift up your voice mightily, O Jerusalem, bearer of good news; Lift it up, do not fear. Say to the cities of Judah, “Here is your God!”
Isaiah 40:9

‘Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
Isaiah 41:10

“For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, ‘Do not fear, I will help you.’
“Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you,” declares the LORD, “and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.
Isaiah 41:13-15

But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!
Isaiah 43:1

“Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, And gather you from the west.
Isaiah 43:5

Thus says the LORD who made you And formed you from the womb, who will help you, ‘Do not fear, O Jacob My servant; And you Jeshurun whom I have chosen.
Isaiah 44:2

“Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, A people in whose heart is My law; Do not fear the reproach of man, Nor be dismayed at their revilings.
Isaiah 51:7

“Fear not, for you will not be put to shame; And do not feel humiliated, for you will not be disgraced; But you will forget the shame of your youth, And the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.
Isaiah 54:4

You drew near when I called on You; You said, “Do not fear!”
O Lord, You have pleaded my soul’s cause; You have redeemed my life.
Lamentations 3:57-58

Do not fear, O land, rejoice and be glad, For the LORD has done great things.
Joel 2:21

‘As for the  promise which I made you when you came out of Egypt, My Spirit is abiding in your midst; do not fear!’
Haggai 2:5

It will come about that just as you were a curse among the nations, O house of Judah and house of Israel, so I will save you that you may become a blessing. Do not fear; let your hands be strong.’
Zechariah 8:13

so I have again purposed in these days to do good to Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. Do not fear!
Zechariah 8:15

“Then I will draw near to you for judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers and against the adulterers and against those who swear falsely, and against those who oppress the wage earner in his wages, the widow and the orphan, and those who turn aside the  alien and do not fear Me,” says the LORD of hosts.
Malachi 3:5

“Therefore do not fear them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.
Matthew 10:26

Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in  hell.
Matthew 10:28

So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
Matthew 10:31

and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not fear, from now on you will be catching men.”
Luke 5:10

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.
Luke 12:7

But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED,
1 Peter 3:14

Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
Revelation 2:10

Lots and lots of excellent Scriptures. May I add the one which speaks the most to me in times like these...……….

Romans 8:28...…..
" And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

It's a good idea to only watch 1 news report a day if you're prone to worry. About a month ago I'd watch a morning report on the virus and then feel anxious for awhile. But then 1 morning I woke up and started to pray about the virus. We can't be 100% certain but I think the general ungodliness of the world could be why God has allowed this virus to happen. Even so, I ask God to please remove the virus from the planet but if He isn't ready to do that then please keep all of us who love Him safe during this trouble. That was the morning I stopped feeling anxious. I believe God is in control of everything and nothing happens without His permission. I especially believe that no one dies without God's permission, even though we usually can't see why God would allow a particular person's death. I've been dealing with this since I was 6 yrs old.
The only way to survive this pandemic is through faith that the Lord has the situation under control. There's no reason to feel afraid.

Absolutely. It is what it is. Don't be fearful and watch every TV programme, Twitter Tweet, etc etc. Watch one a day, and still take into consideration, that our world leaders are just as confused as we are. They have been thrust into a situation that nobody could imagine, and nobody could be fully prepared for, and are simply doing the best they can. Take the best steps you can, isolation etc, and pray.

God will cover me with his wings; I will be be safe in his care; his faithfulness will protect and defend me. I need not fear any dangers at night or sudden attacks during the day. Psalm 91:4-5

A few people who are probably well off just see it as a joke and claiming virus doesn't even exist and then are mocking people who are taking precautions, being obedient and making sacrifices. I am not saying it is anyone on this forum.

Some of these people go online and pour their vitriol on others trying to make sense of it and cope.

If i lose my job, i will just get another one, it doesnt brother me one bit.
The Lord may have other plans... My job went away in the economic meltdown in 2009. Then health issues let me know it was time to recognize that I was retired.

As I look at today's issues, I am troubled. It is time to lean on Him and rely on His guidance rather than be self assured.

Back