As for me ...

Joshua 24:15 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom you will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

"But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." The last part of Joshua 24:15 is a well known phrase that is found framed and mounted upon walls of Christian homes around the world. If you are the head of your household you can state that you and those who reside within your home will follow the Lord and serve him. But in truth, many families are not united in faith and are not united in purpose and not all follow the same path. My children are grown and each must follow the path that is set before them, but we did raise our children to believe in the Lord God and the Lord Jesus and to obey them and to serve them.

In our world today we often hear people who claim to speak for the majority. Some of the values that we see on display and the opinions that we hear by some who say that they represent the majority of a particular segment of the population does not always appear to be truly representative of that majority. I find that I am rarely in a position to speak for others with total assurance that my words are reflective of their hearts and minds. I come to the conclusion that I can always honesty say, "as for me." I can speak of my values, my convictions, my beliefs, and my faith with the fullness of assurance, but it is difficult to speak for others unless you truly know their heart. I know the heart of my wife, and I can speak with assurance about many things, for we have shared values, convictions, belief and faith. It is good to know the hearts and minds of others, and it is a blessing to be close enough to others to know what they believe, but to speak with assurance that the majority feel a certain way is not an easy task. The Lord, however, can speak with assurance for he knows our hearts and minds and he knows our every thought, word and action. He can speak for you for he knows you. I am a minister and I preach from the Word of God, but for me to speak for the Lord God and his beloved Son I must know their heart and mind, and this is revealed in their Holy Word and I seek to understand and know their hearts. As for me... I will serve the Lord and I pray that I serve them well.

Back