Ask if You Want Music Composition Tips

DavyP

Account Closed
Not bragging, but I do have quite a bit of musical knowledge. Can't say I'm classically trained though, since I don't play piano, but instead have played guitar for over forty years.

My Music history:
When I was very young, around 5, my mother and sister would go to Parks & Belks department store while I would go the Ben Franklin Five & Dime store. On the corner before I would go in, there was a Black bluesman with an acoustic guitar playing. I would stand there listening and pitch nickles in his hat while he played. Loved it. He was my own 'Curtis Lowe' you might say (a song by Lynyrd Skynyrd).

My mother loved big band Jazz swing. She said the Glenn Miller band was her Beatles. She raised us on the old Jazz standards, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Mills Brothers, Tommy Dorsey, etc. That immediately gave me a triplet 3/4 time sense.

I taught myself guitar at age 17, learning from Bob Dylan records and a guitar songbook that matched his records.

Then while in the U.S. military, I learned some basic lead guitar methods from a semi-pro who had played in Rock bands that opened for big names in the southwest U.S. (like Led Zeppelin). So I played classic Rock for a while, before I became a Christian.

Then I began to study Blues. That of course led to Jazz, and then Jazz Fusion like John Scofield.

I then bought Peter Alexander's freshman and sophmore college harmony textbooks, and studied those for years. (Peter Alexander was a graduate of Berklee School of Music in Boston, as a music composition major. His wife still maintains a website selling his teaching materials.)

After many years, someone dropped my name in a hat to a local music producer who needed someone with a music background to do vocal edits for mixing. That is when I learned the Pro Tools DAW (digital audio workstation).

I then studied mixing in Pro Tools for a year with Gospel music producer Kevin Ward in the Nashville area. Kevin is a two-time Dove award winner, the Dove being the Gospel music version of the Emmy.

Then I took online classes at Berklee School of Music and have a certificate in Orchestration For Film and TV.

At present, I am studying music interval theory at Music Interval Theory Academy (M.I.T.A.).

So if you want any tips about music writing or production, feel free to ask.

For those interested, here's a couple of assignments I did for my music interval study class. It's all piano. The first is a simple line writing assignment done in different keys and Major scale modes.

The 2nd example is a second line written under a top original line, but not using the standard rules of Fux's counterpoint. My instructor wants us to think melodically with line writing for the counter-line. I find this hard to do, since I'm learned in Fux's counterpoint rules.

Last edited:
Studying with music interval theory is kind of taxing on my brain. I spent years learning traditional harmony, and only with Jazz harmony has my musical knowledge gone deeper. But this interval stuff is different, not really difficult, but more math based. The best I can compare it with traditional harmony is like this: traditional harmony covers a planetary view of harmony, but interval theory covers the universe.

Traditional harmony mainly considers the 7-note Major scale in its theory, each note representing a degree of the scale. There's actually 12 notes in the Major scale, but the notes in between the 7 notes (C-D-E-F-G-A-B) are simply called accidentals (sharps or flats).

But not in Interval theory, which recognizes each of the 12 notes of the Major scale as independent degrees. That's how Interval theory can produce a lot more combinations than one would find using traditional harmony. It's no longer about writing in just one key, but often changing tonal centers both horizontally and vertically, at the same time (boggle that for a while).

Hello DavyP;

As a young boy my parents listened to top 30 AM radio in the early 60s on. My late Mom also collected albums by Johnny Mathis. So I grew up appreciating both rock and popular music styles.

When I was 9 - 10 years old I was inspired by teenagers who played their electric guitars and would allow me to hold them. In 1968 my Dad bought me my first electric 6 string, a used Orpheus for $29.00. He also bought me a Mel Bay guitar chord book and I learned how to play while my fingers got sore at first.

I experimented with my buddies and formed a garage band in the 5th and 6th grades. We played Louie Louis, Wipe Out, House of the Rising Sun and it was a big deal knowing how to play Proud Mary.

I'm a second tenor and in high school I sang in a large choir. I learned how to sing harmony and practiced using basic techniques of my diaphragm and breathing. Our band performed at various gigs, dances and parties playing rock and some motown. We didn't have horns. I learned how to play major scales on guitar and remember practicing these scales daily for hours.

In college we played in a band that was leaning more into "light jazz" songs like Moon Dance, Girl from Ipanema, This Guy's In Love With You and Sergio Mendes' Fool on the Hill, etc...I began to experiment using mode scales with maj7 and 9th chords which I enjoyed playing very much.

It was around that time at church I was invited to play guitar for the worship team. I don't remember all the titles but one worship song stuck out called Beatitudes because I used maj7 chords.

In 2000 we recorded a cd using a Sunday school room at church and the recording engineer's equipment was all computerized. The proceeds went to the needy worldwide.

I own a Fender Stratocaster and an Applause acoustic/electric. I use to own and loved my old Fender Super Reverb Tube amplifier with 4 10" speakers. If I'm correct, it was 45 watts RMS and 100 watts peak. It was a powerful amp with a clean sound! Today I'm using a Peavey amp solid state for church.

I stepped down as a pastor in January this year and for many years played the guitar with the praise team since 1974. But today as our new pastor is transitioning after only 6 months, it was just this month I was led to play again and help the praise and worship.

I GIVE ALL GLORY TO GOD IN MY TESTIMONY!

When I was younger I wanted to be the next Elton John, write my own songs and enjoy world wide audiences attending my concerts. But worshiping God by lifting up songs at church has given me more fulfillment.

I'll review what you are sharing, DavyP. I may have questions as I brush up that may help me as I continue to serve in the music ministry at church.

God bless you, brother and thank you.

Do you like the Pro Tools DAW? I was looking at some for my phone but I think on the computer is better. Just to record for my own entertainment. My dad and I had made a CD, but neither of us are happy with the results, the guy that did it had dad on a hot mike and his harmony was louder than my melody. So I started looking for a good DAW. Saw alot of good reviews for Pro Tools.

Do you like the Pro Tools DAW? I was looking at some for my phone but I think on the computer is better. Just to record for my own entertainment. My dad and I had made a CD, but neither of us are happy with the results, the guy that did it had dad on a hot mike and his harmony was louder than my melody. So I started looking for a good DAW. Saw alot of good reviews for Pro Tools.

Hello DaveF.;

I heard Pro Tools DAW has pretty good results. By chance did the recording fall short because of the room and acoustics?

That was part of it, but the big issue was Dads' mike was jacked way up, you could hear him take a breath, then his harmony overpowered the melody to the point that it was difficult to hear the melody. It isn't horrible, but , I could have had better results sitting in the kitchen and recording with my phone. The guy that did it owed my brother a favor, so he agreed to do the recording for free. I guess we got our moneys' worth.

Hello DavyP;

As a young boy my parents listened to top 30 AM radio in the early 60s on. My late Mom also collected albums by Johnny Mathis. So I grew up appreciating both rock and popular music styles.

When I was 9 - 10 years old I was inspired by teenagers who played their electric guitars and would allow me to hold them. In 1968 my Dad bought me my first electric 6 string, a used Orpheus for $29.00. He also bought me a Mel Bay guitar chord book and I learned how to play while my fingers got sore at first.

I experimented with my buddies and formed a garage band in the 5th and 6th grades. We played Louie Louis, Wipe Out, House of the Rising Sun and it was a big deal knowing how to play Proud Mary.

I'm a second tenor and in high school I sang in a large choir. I learned how to sing harmony and practiced using basic techniques of my diaphragm and breathing. Our band performed at various gigs, dances and parties playing rock and some motown. We didn't have horns. I learned how to play major scales on guitar and remember practicing these scales daily for hours.

In college we played in a band that was leaning more into "light jazz" songs like Moon Dance, Girl from Ipanema, This Guy's In Love With You and Sergio Mendes' Fool on the Hill, etc...I began to experiment using mode scales with maj7 and 9th chords which I enjoyed playing very much.

It was around that time at church I was invited to play guitar for the worship team. I don't remember all the titles but one worship song stuck out called Beatitudes because I used maj7 chords.

In 2000 we recorded a cd using a Sunday school room at church and the recording engineer's equipment was all computerized. The proceeds went to the needy worldwide.

I own a Fender Stratocaster and an Applause acoustic/electric. I use to own and loved my old Fender Super Reverb Tube amplifier with 4 10" speakers. If I'm correct, it was 45 watts RMS and 100 watts peak. It was a powerful amp with a clean sound! Today I'm using a Peavey amp solid state for church.

I stepped down as a pastor in January this year and for many years played the guitar with the praise team since 1974. But today as our new pastor is transitioning after only 6 months, it was just this month I was led to play again and help the praise and worship.

I GIVE ALL GLORY TO GOD IN MY TESTIMONY!

When I was younger I wanted to be the next Elton John, write my own songs and enjoy world wide audiences attending my concerts. But worshiping God by lifting up songs at church has given me more fulfillment.

I'll review what you are sharing, DavyP. I may have questions as I brush up that may help me as I continue to serve in the music ministry at church.

God bless you, brother and thank you.
Yeah, that's the ticket!

I was raised in a Church that didn't believe in musical instruments allowed in the Church, so I missed all that.

I guess my Rock era was more in the 70's, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Jo Jo Gunn, Bad Company, Eagles, 10 CC, Grand Funk Railroad, Dooby Bros., Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc.

I've had several guitars over the years, wish I hadn't sold some of those. My main guitars are a 1991 Fender Telecaster with Lace Sensor pickups, and a 1983 Stratocaster Elite with push buttons instead of the toggle control. I had to change the maple neck on it that warped, and went to a maple with an ebony fretboard. I can get just about any sound out of it from a Les Paul type sound to that old bite of a Strat. If I was a studio guitarist, that would probably my first choice guitar. I also have a Takamine acoustic/electric, really sweet sound, almost a Classical guitar sound, even though it's a steel string.

Yeah, feel free to ask me any composition questions. Right now I'm dealing with Interval theory that changes scales and key centers often. It's really more for film and TV composing than for songs.

I do have Pro Tools 10 and 11, but I'm actually using Studio One 4 right now. I started out on SONAR. I've used Reaper, Digital Performer (not good on a PC), and Cubase.

Pro Tools is still the industry standard for recording and post-production. The bad thing is the company behind it, Avid, is kind of hard to deal with. To get their DAW version that I need that covers many instrument tracks for an orchestra setup, it requires paying a lot more than all the other DAWs that are available. (The native software version is limited to around 100 instrument tracks. I need more.) For the longest, you couldn't buy Pro Tools software without buying their base level outboard processor that went with it. Since so many non-outboard gear DAWs starting coming out, they finally decided to create a native software DAW version without the need for outboard.

I like to share, so I'll post a MIXING GUIDELINE I learned from Kevin Ward, a Nashville producer and two-time Dove Gospel award winner. It's not so much the type of DAW one uses today, they're all good. What most lack are the recording and mixing skills.

BASIC MIXING GUIDELINE (for DAWs, "in the box"):

I like to do this occasionally so as to keep up from memory what I learned from pro-Nashville producers Kevin Ward and Jon Wright. I had mix lessons with them in Gospel, Rock, Bluegrass, Folk, Jazz, Country, and Big Band. Last I heard from Kevin was that he moved to LA and was working for Capitol Records.

Here's a mix (not mastered) I did long ago of a tune Kevin Ward recorded and taught us to mix. The singer's name was Darcy is all I'll say, and I will only have this link up for a short time, because the song is probably copyrighted, (but my mix isn't). The song was recorded in Pro Tools by Kevin Ward and mixed by me in native software Pro Tools 11 using an RME soundcard interface and UAD and Waves plugins.

Falling In Love With a Girl

MIXING:
Note: you can... mix on a good set of earphones. But you still need to check it in several listening areas, like your car, your home stereo, room monitors, etc. Most folks don't have the resources to do acoustic treatment of their DAW area, but that's really the only way to trust a mix done with just stereo monitors. I also recommend using the SoundID Reference VST Plugin. You can get it for whatever headphones you're using (like a pair of Sony MDR 7506 earphones, a long-time studio standard), or for whatever professional type monitors you have. This will help with the untreated room problem. You can mix on home stereo speakers, but you might not get a good balanced mix, simply because home stereo speakers 'color' the sound to try and make it sound good. When mixing, you instead want monitors that give you as flat a frequency spectrum as possible, so that you hear equally all the frequency range, from 20kHz down to at least 40-50Hz.

1. Artifacts -- check every track for errors, listen all the way through each one, pops, clicks, digital distortion, artifacts, etc. Fix all those problems (Waves had tools for that, so does Ozone).

2. Setup your DAW session. Pro Tools is a bit difficult to learn with how to do this, but once you get it, it's easy. Create individual instrument buses based on instrument types. For example, all percussion instrument tracks might be sent to a Bus named 'Percussion'. All guitar tracks might go to a Guitar Bus, keyboards to a Keys Bus, orchestral strings to a Strings Bus, etc. Then create your Reverb Bus(s), and other FX's buses you might want to apply to many instruments at the same time. For Reverb, I use 3 different ones most of the time, one set for just the 'room' to back the instrument away a bit from being close miked, and then another reverb to place instruments back a little further, and then another reverb for the overall Hall for the highs. Each reverb will have been EQ'd (I recommend learning this from the Puremix website by Fab Dupont). Then for each instrument track, use its 'Send' function to point to the Reverb's Bus. This way you use less resources, because reverb takes up a lot of computing power.

2. Phase -- Check the tracks for phase cancellation issues, mainly for instruments recorded together in the same room, as there might be mike bleed between them. For example, if a tamborine was recorded in a mike standing close to the mikes recording a drummer, there will be mike bleed between the two instruments. So you'll have 2 versions playing against each other, like the snare heard in the tamborine track a little, and the tamborine heard in the drum tracks a little. They will tend to cancel each other out if 'out-of-phase' with each other, making each of the two tracks sound weak, or in extreme cases completely unheard (cancelling each other electronically).

The manual way to correct this (which we were taught), is to look at the audio wave expanded to a straight line in your DAW, and compare the two instrument track's wave alignment. If the alignment is opposite of each other, flip one of the instrument's phase so they both align in the same direction, using either a feature provided in the DAW, or by a plugin with a phase button. Not doing this is responsible for about a third of 'muddy-sounding' mixes. Some producer/mixers only mix in MONO because of this, and then open it up to STEREO in the latter phase of the mix.

3. Get all the track's faders in a sweet spot. Set a Limiter on the Master Bus, just hitting 'occasionally', no more than 1 or 2 dBs. This is only to pick up the occasional 'over' (digital peaks above 0.0 dBFS means automatic distortion, and it sounds terrible). The ideal level for the finished mix should be around -6 dBFS and no higher than -3 dBFS on the Master Bus peak meter. Less is OK too, not too much. I used to use the RMS setting for loudness, and shot for -12 to -14 in my finished mix level. You want to leave room for the mastering stage. The mix is not supposed be at production levels. So slapping a Limiter on the Master Bus and hitting it to get post-production levels for the Mix is a no-no.

4. Rough Mix: this is the next stage. No EQ, no compressors, no effects, no reverb, nothing but just balancing the volume of the audio of the tracks, and panning them, to get the best sounding balance between them you can get. You can try different versions of the rough mix by picking a certain instrument and balance all the other tracks around that. Panning may clear up instruments near the same range masking each other too. Experiment.

5. EQ Only: Go to MONO listening -- start with one track. I was taught to start with the drums, usually the kick, then toms, then the snare and cymbals last, balancing them as a cohesive unit, the drums sent to a Drums Bus, and the Cymbals sent to a Cymbals Bus. Could start with the bass, or vocal. It just depends on what style you're doing. With orchestral mixing, it's usually recommended to start with the high instruments, like the Winds.

The object is not to select each track in Solo and EQ it until it sounds good. You can, but know you're probably going to have to make some changes once you play with the other tracks and try to get it to fit in the whole mix. How it sounds in the whole mix is what is important. Pick a track, listen for what spectral range where most of the power is. Most often you'll need a cut in that range. Start with no more than -3dB cuts. See a YouTube video on how to use an EQ plugin, for it's too much to cover here. The idea is with all your faders down, pick a starting track, EQ it, then add another track playing along with your first one and EQ it, adding tracks as you go, and always listening to each track within the mix, and only solo when absolutely necessary.

Do subtractive EQ first, like most all of the tracks will need some kind of Low Cut in the extreme left bass range. Find where each instrument's bass range ends by doing a sweep, then do a Low cut up to that point. The bass really piles up with all the tracks together, so this is an essential clean-up step. Then do creative EQ, which is where you highlight only the ranges of tracks that you want to bring out in the mix. It will take a little time to learn the frequency ranges of different instruments and vocals, but every mixer must pay that learning price, so don't skimp on learning that. When you have two instruments close to the same ranges, you may discover they mask each other so they aren't clear. If panning won't separate them, then you have to use EQ to do it. Each instrument will have several important frequency ranges that gives it its particular sound. You can cut some of those ranges and still keep its fundamental sound, and then boost those same areas in the other instrument track that is masking with it. Cut one, boost the other, will clear up both usually. It's simply a matter of which frequency ranges to choose, and that should be based on what you hear in the overall mix.

For frequency areas you can't quite find that are causing problems, setup one of the EQ points to a narrow 'Q' (width), and then boost it several dB, and do a sweep of the ranges. When you find an annoying frequency, do a narrow cut at that point. Then move on. With some instruments, depending on what kind of mike was used to record it, you might have to do with in several frequency areas of an instrument or vocal. With a vocal this is especially important, because you want to concentrate on what the natural sound of the singer is like, and try to reproduce that in the DAW vocal track. The microphone is a unique thing, it adds it's own set of artifacts to the recording that takes away from the natural sound of a voice or instrument. Thus there are tricks to what kind of mike to use for recording, depending on the vocal or instrument. This is a whole other learning curve for the recordist, not the mixer. Kevin Ward is one of the best at choosing the right mike setup that I've ever heard. That's why many of his recorded tracks don't need hardly any EQ or compression. I'm sure it was the same with Alan Parsons' recording ability.

The EQ step is about 60-70% of the mix process.

Vocals -- Special Attention needed here. Most DAWs have a 'gain' function where you can edit the actual waveform of the track, selecting even a very small region of the audio wave and raising or lowering its level. Electrical mikes tend to pick up a lot of artifacts not heard in a natural vocal, like breath noises, sibulance like 'S', 'P' which pops the mike, and if singing too close to the mike you get a proximity effect, which increases the bass in your voice (which is how impersonators produce special effects noises with a mike, like bombs, trucks, etc.). Don't just rely on a plugin to fix these problems. Look at the audio wave first, and go through it and try to balance the vocal performance. You can use the Automation feature at this stage, but only if you know what you're doing, because it could ruin the vocal performance. Using automation means you can do a record of the gain, or volume riding the track's fader while the audio plays. It won't affect the original wave, but only record automation data of the volume changes. You can do automation effects with many different parameters offered by each DAW, and actually with the parameters of each plugin you use too.

Vocal Compression -- very important, since the vocal is prime focus of a song. Say you've recorded a strong vocalist at the standard -18dBFS record input level setting of the DAW. And you're having trouble getting that vocal performance under control to blend with the other tracks. Don't just slap on a compressor and hit it hard. Instead use multiple compressors, each hitting just a little bit. Using just one in that situation will almost always guarantee over-compression effects. Watch your Gain structure too between the levels of each compressor, that matters too. For example, you have an Input gain, and an Output gain on your compressor plugin. If you set the first comp's output too low, it will force you to really raise the Input level on the next compressor so you have enough signal to process it. Careful of this, called 'gain staging'. Digital plugins in a DAW actually have 'sweet spots' for processing the audio, usually explained in the manufacturer's manual.

6. Compression: this is next. Only use it for tracks that require it, that might be much weaker than the rest of the other tracks. The goal is not have to use compression at all. And it is possible, if you're good at editing the gains of an audio track. Alan Parsons, who produced and mixed Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, said he didn't use compression. I admit I ain't as good as he is, so I do use compression.

Again, look to YouTube on how to use a compressor. My point here is only use it as needed. Not all tracks will need it. And the Limiter you put on your Master Bus at the start of the session should take care of the occasional 'over'. If not, then either find the track(s) that are causing the over and reduce its Fader, or select all your tracks and pull down all the Faders together until the 'over' goes away. Don't just slap on another compressor because of overs on the Master Bus. The main thing to remember about compression is to 'compress often, but only a little', and only for tracks that need it.

7. Add FX -- If you used MONO listening, now change to STEREO. Your mix ought to sound about 80-90% done. Careful with too much reverb. It's good to run the reverb through an EQ plugin on the Reverb Bus it's on, and cut out much of the low end, while maybe cutting some of the highs and midrange (to taste). For a Hall reverb, you might want more of the high end range, a slight boost. To apply reverb, simply move the level up on whatever you're applying it to, until you can just hear it. Then back it down about 1-2dB. That's it. You might need another compressor or EQ on your mix Buses, like for each instrument Group. Don't do it unless you feel you actually need it. And remember, compress only a little.

8. Automation, Fader Rides -- depending on the style of music, you might want to do Automation Fader Rides on certain parts of the mix, like reducing the volume of background instruments in certain sections of the song. Other sections of the song you might want to boost the level of something, or change the reverb level, or any FX you might use. Might want to change the pan of an instrument, like bringing an instrument at the sides just a bit closer to center for a solo (not direct center from the side though, making it too obvious). It's also common to bring the level up of a solo instrument at the first, and then back it down once it is noticed, just to bring the listener's attention to it coming in. These techniques are used in Pop and Rock mixes all the time. Not so much in Folk, Bluegrass, Jazz, Orchestral styles.

9. Final Mix Output -- depending on what style you're mixing. I usually shoot for an RMS level of -12dBRMS. RMS is using for loudness, not peak. All DAWs that I know of have this setting as a meter choice. Or you can use a plugin. For Pop or Rock, it's usually a bit louder, but still leaving -3 to -6dBFS on the peak meter for later mastering.

If you stream your music to an online music website, realize they all will process your audio some, and some require your audio to be a certain type (like .wav or .mp3) and level just to accept it. Most newer DAW's recognize this, and have direct upload links processing your audio for you, just for that site, like SoundCloud, Spotify, etc.

For those interested, here's a couple of assignments I did for my music interval study class. It's all piano. The first is a simple line writing assignment done in different keys and Major scale modes.

I should explain what this piece of piano music really is, and show the .pdf. Here's the link to the .pdf.

It's more complex than it sounds. Each example follows a specific scale and mode of that scale, concentrating on creating an interval out of certain chosen notes of that scale. And the bass root notes follow a pattern or RC (root cycle), like with roots a 5th apart, or 4th apart, or 3rd apart, all the way down to roots that are 1 half-step apart. So each set of chosen scale tones (like b3rd and 5th of Dorian mode) are spelled based on each root note. And each root cycle type then gives a certain 'pattern' sound.

Thus each measure is actually changing to a different key tonal center. But each example still sounds cohesive. It's because of staying with a certain interval pattern based on the scale/mode choice and root cycle (RC). So if the pattern is in the Dorian mode of the Major scale, even though changing keys, it will still have 'minor' type sound, and still sound cohesive. This is why there's no Key Signatures used, as you'll notice, the notes have different accidentals. There's no way someone with only traditional Diatonic harmony training could figure this music out by simple traditional analysis. Technically you could try, but it would be very, very difficult. The reason why is because this is music written based Interval Theory, not traditional Diatonic theory. With this Interval theory method, you can come up with compositions you would have a difficult time finding with traditional harmony writing.

Then once the two note intervals are written, Diatonic passing tones (DPT) are chosen to link the interval sets between measures. Where a DPT is only a half-step away from the note in the next measure, I put LT to represent a leading tone.

I guess my Rock era was more in the 70's, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Jo Jo Gunn, Bad Company, Eagles, 10 CC, Grand Funk Railroad, Dooby Bros., Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc.

I've had several guitars over the years, wish I hadn't sold some of those. My main guitars are a 1991 Fender Telecaster with Lace Sensor pickups, and a 1983 Stratocaster Elite with push buttons instead of the toggle control. I had to change the maple neck on it that warped, and went to a maple with an ebony fretboard. I can get just about any sound out of it from a Les Paul type sound to that old bite of a Strat. If I was a studio guitarist, that would probably my first choice guitar. I also have a Takamine acoustic/electric, really sweet sound, almost a Classical guitar sound, even though it's a steel string.

Wow! I listened to all those bands and this helped me develop my personal guitar playing. In 1970 Grand Funk Railroad was extremely popular while we were stationed at Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina. Later GFR's Mark Farner and his wife gave their lives to Jesus Christ in (1985?) though he still toured as a soloist playing a combination of GFR's old hits besides Christian songs he wrote.

I have a question regarding variations of DAWs and your experience learning from the Nashville producers. Is this system used in editing and extending versions that I have noticed on YouTube? I enjoy listening to music on YouTube.

Thank you.

Wow! I listened to all those bands and this helped me develop my personal guitar playing. In 1970 Grand Funk Railroad was extremely popular while we were stationed at Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina. Later GFR's Mark Farner and his wife gave their lives to Jesus Christ in (1985?) though he still toured as a soloist playing a combination of GFR's old hits besides Christian songs he wrote.

I have a question regarding variations of DAWs and your experience learning from the Nashville producers. Is this system used in editing and extending versions that I have noticed on YouTube? I enjoy listening to music on YouTube.

Thank you.
So you've had those old influences too. I'd say just about every electric guitarist in Rock to Country learned from that era of Classic Rock. I remember an interviewer asked Joe Satriani how he came about a lot of the lead licks he was doing, and he told them it's from the Blues. What kid in my era didn't pick up a guitar and try to play Johnny B. Goode? And if from the South, in my era it was licks from Chuck Berry, and Blues styles like the Allman Brothers Band.

I'm not sure what you mean by "extending versions", unless if you mean 'mashups', where an artist will take the audio from a popular song, and mash it into their song, which Hip-Hop does a lot. That's one style I never got into (and really don't want to, no offense to anyone who does like that style.) I don't recommend doing 'mashups' of copyrighted material without permission from the original author, not if one is going to do it for commercial use.

The digital audio workstation (DAW) simply replaces the old analog mixing consoles of yore. Analog mixing desks are still used by the pros today, but there's more and more records being produced strictly "in-the-box", which means recorded, mixed, and mastered within a DAW. You can still use outboard audio gear with the digital DAW on a computer too, which the pros definitely still do. And there's a certain pro level for digital audio gear also dealing with converters (A/D and D/A converters like Cranesong, Dangerous Music, Lynx, Burl Audio, Prism, Lavry, SSL, etc. My RME card is at the bottom of the Pro level for audio interface/converters. But I also have a Universal Audio Apollo Twin interface, which has Pro top of the line converters for 2-track recording and doing DAW mixing and mastering.

I originally had a 12 channel TASCAM mixing board, and still have the 8-channel TASCAM tape reel-to-reel and some outboard gear (compressor, Dolby, reverbs, guitar FX, etc.). Those outboard units are sitting on a table, don't use them anymore, though they are still usable.

The main reason why the DAW has taken over much of the industry as a production tool, is because of the ability to edit the audio, or MIDI, and it is non-destructive, meaning if you don't like your edit, you simply delete what you did and start all over again with the raw audio. The original recorded audio is not affected. All the plugins and verbs are processed digitally with the audio, and can be removed at any time back to the raw recorded audio. Only when the audio is 'bounced' does it create a new track with all the effects treatment with it.

Another thing that made the DAW popular is the ability to open up a session that was done, and everything is exactly where you left it, the Fader levels, FX treatments, compressor levels, EQ, everything. They have some analog mixing boards that will try to do all that, but they still haven't matched how much the DAW can do. In the old days with analog, you had to use masking tape and mark the levels on Faders to return them close to where you did the mix for each song. And then write down all your outboard settings on the racks of gear used for just that one song. The Pros still do that with their old outboard gear, but they're using newer digital type mixing boards that remembers everything like a DAW.

Those new to the DAW, on a PC computer, I highly recommend Studio One. It's probably the easiest DAW to learn and use. It was created by sound engineers that used to work for Steinberg (i.e., Cubase). Everything you need for recording, mixing, and mastering is included. For a Mac, probably still Studio One. The best DAW for orchestral, which means a lot of tracks (usually around 300), Cubase for PC, and Logic Pro for Mac.

If you want Pro-level, then it's simply a matter of using a Pro-level audio interface and some Pro-level plugins (like UAD, Waves, SoundToys, iZotope, Slate Digital, etc.). No real shortcuts in that aspect of the industry; if you want a Pro quality sound, then you still have to pay for it. The better Pro-level digital gear processes and records more of the original signal, and outputs at a better quality. An M-Audio soundcard sounds pretty good, but not compared with a Lavry or Cranesong setup which is very popular among mastering engineers.

Back