Assurance of Justification

Everything we have is founded on “position and “condition.” Our position in the Lord Jesus is who we are; our condition on the earth is what we are. Assurance of justification is established on our position in the Lord Jesus Christ, and is an imputation not an impartation. Our condition is that we are sinners, for the “old man” yet abides within (Rom 7:17, 20). Thus, we are to be careful not to base our justification on condition, but position—in the Lord Jesus; and this is why we are so “weighted” with “sin” (Heb 12:1), we are looking at ourselves and not Him. The equation is, position over condition, which equals innocent in the Lord’s justification. Everything that we are in Him must be imputed and therefore cannot be imparted, for God will not, yea, cannot mix the good with the bad.

Yes, we still possess the old man, the sin nature, but in spite of all this we are guiltless and will ever be so in the Lord Jesus; and do not think one can go in and out of this truth because it must always be justification and never anything else! Maintaining justification is established when we consider what God has done and said, and is never based on feelings, but His Word! The discouragements we encounter are the very food of our strength in His school of learning! Just know that all is for testing and learning, and nothing is to be refused.

When we stand on the promises of His Word it makes a difference in our lives, but eventually we begin to look at ourselves and take our eyes and minds off Christ—and it’s back to self-deliverance. Then gradually we don’t look or feel much saved, and then everything seems to be going out of sync, and our assurance is again on the block of wondering.

We eventually start to see what is going on and we realize it is because we are centered on our condition, which reminds us of what we are and not who (or Whose we are). We may begin to wonder why the failures and even maybe doubt our salvation, and that, while the Lord is with us.

In the Lord’s time our thoughts are brought back to our position, which never really falters, because God has taken all into account and has found us lacking. But be of good cheer, for his “acceptance” (Eph 1:6) takes everything into consideration, and He knows there is nothing that you would want to do to displease Him—because He “works” this in you (Phl 2:13).

“And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever” (Isa 32:17).

Don’t get hung up on your condition!

Note: This article is inspired by the book “The Green Letters” by Miles J Stanford, published by Zondervan.​

MJS devotional excerpt for Aug 5

“Let my circumstances be what they may, if I can see them ordered for me unfailingly by One in whom infinite wisdom, power, and goodness combine, and whose love toward me I am assured of, my restlessness is gone, my will subjected to that other Will in which I can but acquiesce and delight.” --Frederick William Grant (1834-1902)

Hello netchaplain;

I agree with, "Our position in the Lord Jesus is who we are; our condition on the earth is what we are. Assurance of justification is established on our position in the Lord Jesus Christ, and"

But please elaborate on "is an imputation not an impartation." Who is imputing, the world? Why wasn't Jesus' Gospel an impartation, biblically speaking?

Please clarify,
Bob?

God bless
you and thank you, brother.

imputed and therefore cannot be imparted
two things main point i see it as both imputed and imparted.

my last point why is we have use terms imputed imparted see the thing is we are justified by the Blood by grace and by faith . i can respect and good study with education.. many words i fail to understand . so i look them up study them out.. then find a simple way to explain/preach it. i use a method i call Kiss ==this is to me keep it simple stupid, paul wrote

1 Corinthians 2:4 Context​

1And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

we need to put the Gospel on such a level a grade school child can understand it we dont water it down but bring to a level of simple understanding justification is just as if i had never sinned === forgiven ====== Born again/saved .

i fear we often forget the spirit quickens brings to life we can only plant the seed and water ..

i hope this bring a understanding of what i am trying to say... yes i now i hijacked the post so sorry

Hello netchaplain;

I agree with, "Our position in the Lord Jesus is who we are; our condition on the earth is what we are. Assurance of justification is established on our position in the Lord Jesus Christ, and"

But please elaborate on "is an imputation not an impartation." Who is imputing, the world? Why wasn't Jesus' Gospel an impartation, biblically speaking?

Please clarify,
Bob?
Hi Bob, and I'm so glad you asked this all important question! Impute is to account something without imparting, e.g. Christ's righteousness to be our righteousness, since we can have no righteousness of our own. Thus as we are accounted in Christ's righteousness are as righteous as one can be, "as He is righteous." Impart is to give something to one as a possession, which righteousness cannot be attributed to man, him possessing the old man (sin nature). We would never want sin and righteousness to dwell together and is why we are separate from sin (Ro 8:9). This righteousness is as good as if it was our possession, but the attributes of God cannot be given (incommunicable) to sinful creatures; and it is as if we have no sin, though we do, and therefore must be separate from our old nature and in our new nature. We are not old and new man but only new man. Though we still sin, unwillingly, as the Spirit shows us our sin, we always come out as not desiring sin; and this is where the Father considers us, as He knows we don't want to sin, and this is our heart where, our treasure is--and its our heart He wants.

He ensures our desire and will is for Him, for He "works" this in us, until we're gone from the earth (Phl 2:13).

two things main point i see it as both imputed and imparted.

my last point why is we have use terms imputed imparted see the thing is we are justified by the Blood by grace and by faith . i can respect and good study with education.. many words i fail to understand . so i look them up study them out.. then find a simple way to explain/preach it. i use a method i call Kiss ==this is to me keep it simple stupid, paul wrote

1 Corinthians 2:4 Context​

1And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

we need to put the Gospel on such a level a grade school child can understand it we dont water it down but bring to a level of simple understanding justification is just as if i had never sinned === forgiven ====== Born again/saved .

i fear we often forget the spirit quickens brings to life we can only plant the seed and water ..

i hope this bring a understanding of what i am trying to say... yes i now i hijacked the post so sorry
Hi, and what you're saying shows good intentions, so no apology needed! Understanding God's Word is at varying levels between Christians, depending upon how much one studies and research; and the more we study, the more we can get out of the Word, which is infinite!

Hi Bob, and I'm so glad you asked this all important question! Impute is to account something without imparting, e.g. Christ's righteousness to be our righteousness, since we can have no righteousness of our own. Thus as we are accounted in Christ's righteousness are as righteous as one can be, "as He is righteous." Impart is to give something to one as a possession, which righteousness cannot be attributed to man, him possessing the old man (sin nature). We would never want sin and righteousness to dwell together and is why we are separate from sin (Ro 8:9). This righteousness is as good as if it was our possession, but the attributes of God cannot be given (incommunicable) to sinful creatures; and it is as if we have no sin, though we do, and therefore must be separate from our old nature and in our new nature. We are not old and new man but only new man. Though we still sin, unwillingly, as the Spirit shows us our sin, we always come out as not desiring sin; and this is where the Father considers us, as He knows we don't want to sin, and this is our heart where, our treasure is--and its our heart He wants. He ensures our desire and will is for Him, for He "works" this in us, until we're gone from the earth (Phl 2:13).

Hello brother Bob;

I do understand "Impute is to account something without imparting, e.g. Christ's righteousness to be our righteousness, since we can have no righteousness of our own."

Thank you for the clarification. I feel it was the way Miles Stanford worded the sentence, Assurance of justification is established on our position in the Lord Jesus Christ, and is an imputation not an impartation.

So, when we mix sin and righteousness is like mixing oil and water. This is not easy and we cannot just do righteousness alone. Jesus carries us in the right direction, the Holy Spirit reveals our sin and God brings salvation all together for His glory.

God bless
you, brother.

Hello brother Bob;

I do understand "Impute is to account something without imparting, e.g. Christ's righteousness to be our righteousness, since we can have no righteousness of our own."

Thank you for the clarification. I feel it was the way Miles Stanford worded the sentence, Assurance of justification is established on our position in the Lord Jesus Christ, and is an imputation not an impartation.
I think your on the right trail. Also, this was and article I wrote that was inspired by Miles and the other Brethren he quoted.

God's blessings to your Family!

Back